Sampler Recommendations.

Devious G

Can anyone recommend a good sampler, preferably not to expensive. (And a decent amount of memory.)

If it helps, its for electronic music. :)

This is under the hardware thread, so preferebly hardware.

I checked out the MPC500 it is awesome and I intend on getting an AKAI MPC in the future, but I'm looking for something cheaper, like under $200 at least.

Back in the olden days a lot of EDM producers had a preference for rack samplers sequenced by computers like the Atari ST, while Hip Hop producers had more of a preference for samplers with built in sequencers like the MPC, but over time EDM production made a transition from using rack samplers controlled by programs like Akai MESA to replacing the rack sampler altogether with a software sampler, MPC users could see how cool MESA was but unfortunately it did not work with the MPC but once software sampling became available many hip hop producers crossed the floor because they could see the potential, but many also retained the MPC.

Now the beauty of the MPC is that it is self contained and so the built in sequencer offers extremely low latencies and the way it works has not dramatically changed, but for those of us who retained our rack samplers (or switched to software) there is no such joy to be had with computers, as they have changed to adopt a bloated latency lagging ass architecture, something you don't really get when using a rack sampler with an old computer like the Atari ST or a hardware sequencer.

Now the beauty of the MPC is that it is self contained and so the built in sequencer offers extremely low latencies and the way it works has not dramatically changed, but for those of us who retained our rack samplers (or switched to software) there is no such joy to be had with computers, as they have changed to adopt a bloated latency lagging ass architecture, something you don't really get when using a rack sampler with an old computer like the Atari ST or a hardware sequencer.

Exactly why I got one!

Hardware sampler, under $200? I can't really think of anything in that range, new at least. You should check craigslist or ebay, maybe you can find something there.

Ya I've been looking around on many sites for both used and new. However, I'm thinking I 'll just save up for an MPC.

Thanks guys. :)

Ya I was looking at older samplers like that, but I've heard that they have some latency issues and are not as efficient to use live. (However since I've never used one I can't really say that is true.)

Also the holiday season is coming up soon, so I probably will have to wait a little while before I can buy any sampler. :)

The Akai S2000 does not have any latency issues, that's something more likely to be caused by the computer that's handling the sequencing rather than the sampler itself. As for using the S2000 live, it's a bit long in the tooth and the limitations are not dissimilar to those of the MPC 2000XL as both have only 32MB memory, 32 voice polyphony and both need SCSI storage to be of any use in a live environment, the load times can be quite a bit slower than opening up a DAW project (unless you own Cubase, because nothing could be that slow).

Last edited:
I'm guessing your after a groovebox/mpc style sampler that can record sequences as opposed to a rack sampler.

For electronic music your best options are a Korg Electribe or Akai MPC500 or a second hand akai MPC2000.
If your technically minded or dont mind lack of 'pads and knobs' I would strongly recommend looking at a cheap second hand rack sampler such as an Akai, Roland or EMU - they don't looks as nice but they can be superior where you need to control every last element of the sound, as soon as they're connected to your sequencer the sound can be manipulated in far more ways than their 'groovebox' counterpart. - however if your after somthing you can just turn on and start creating music right away on the rack sequencer isn't much good :s

Why choose an Electribe? - their sequencer is really realy well thought out, nice buttons that light up so you know when things are on or off, some nice controlls (effects). And because they look real nice with the lights turned down ^_^ Also the Electribe series was designed with electronic music in mind so some things are in logical places (easy to reach) when you need them.
Why choose an MPC? - Sound quality, great quantizing and time signature fascilities, Nice nipping algorythms (newer models). Multiple outputs (not the 500) ability to upgrade/expand if needed. Access to the akai format libraries.

Back