Sample Packs From The Internet: Do You Use Them? Are They Worth It?

Nathan M.

Just my opinion; take it or leave it:

I'll be the first to admit that I'M GUILTY of this, but:

Music today sounds the same because we use the same samples, not just because of a "get money quick" mentality.

Just think about it...

Everyone has access to the same sample packs thanks to the Internet.

The more people use an online sample pack, the more others will want to use it as well. Before you know it, you've got hundreds of thousands of producers using the Same drum sounds , SFX, etc..

Using a popular sample pack won't make your beats more prone to success.

Maybe posting sample packs online is just hurting the industry..

If there were no sample packs online, and every beat maker/producer kept their sample packs to themselves, we'd have music with more variety of content, because every upcoming beat maker/producer would be forced to create their own unique sample pack(s) in order to contribute to their own trademark sound/style.

Sample packs being posted online has contributed to the popularity of many styles of music, but imagine how much more styles of music we would have if everyone recorded their own packs?

What do you think?

Thats true, beats nowadays always sound the same , but most of the producers are doing all this to make money online, since myself im a owner of mkufubeats.com and i also do the same, as a way to attract more beat buyers.

another reason is that, producers when they like a certain sound then, they will like to make the same thing without considering new mechanisms and unique way to came up with their own style hence they sound the same.

lastly , their talent rely much on sampling rather than creating something of their own

Georgia Beats For Sale | Florida Sell Beats Online | New York Buy Beats | Sell Rap Beats | New Jersey Hip Hop Beats © www.mkufubeats.com

nope. It doesn't really stymie creativity. Mainly because you'll see it in the flip section on here if you give somebody a sample. ten people will flip it ten different ways. Now imagine how many different ways you can filip the samples that pop up in a sample pack.

The largest issues with the plethora of sample packs out there the lack of talent, lack of creativity, and lack of technical ability.

A decent pack gets put out, labeled (for example) Dr. FatBoy's Molly Kit. It's high-quality, pristine, chopped and compressed lovely. Johnny Fruity Loops gets it, throws a reverb, slams +6dB at 50Hz-with the Q at 1, and "masters" all of the one-hits, bounces them out to .mp3, repackages and uploads it as either "Johnny Fruity Loops'" Molly Kit, or-even worse-as Dr. FatBoy's Molly Kit again.

Then L'il DJ Baby Audacity does the same thing. It goes on and on and on.

There are plenty of good kits out there and many of them do have the same name. One just has to take the time to audition through the bullshit to grab the gems. This is why it's important, nay, IMPERATIVE for producers and beatmakers and even rappers to know what quality sound sounds like.

Peace.

For electronic genres there are a few good sample packs available, like the stuff from Vengeance and refx. But for Hip Hop it's 99 % crap in my opinion.

banner.png

Just my opinion; take it or leave it:

I'll be the first to admit that I'M GUILTY of this, but:

Music today sounds the same because we use the same samples, not just because of a "get money quick" mentality.

Just think about it...

Everyone has access to the same sample packs thanks to the Internet.

The more people use an online sample pack, the more others will want to use it as well. Before you know it, you've got hundreds of thousands of producers using the Same drum sounds , SFX, etc..

Using a popular sample pack won't make your beats more prone to success.

Maybe posting sample packs online is just hurting the industry..

If there were no sample packs online, and every beat maker/producer kept their sample packs to themselves, we'd have music with more variety of content, because every upcoming beat maker/producer would be forced to create their own unique sample pack(s) in order to contribute to their own trademark sound/style.

Sample packs being posted online has contributed to the popularity of many styles of music, but imagine how much more styles of music we would have if everyone recorded their own packs?

What do you think?
No because most of the sounds used today are rehashes of the sounds of the same sounds we have been using since 80s. 808s and 909s aren't new. Drum sounds in general aren't really new they are either synthetic or acoustic so in essence we have been using the same sounds since forever. We are using the same synth waveforms since foreveron synths, same kinds of fx since forever, the bigger problem is preset diving. Nobody is willing to create a new sound and innovate in that way because the tools are all the same just updated in ways to make life easier.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

And don't get me started on fx most plug in fx are rehashes of stuff from the 50s-80s. 99% of everything out there these days are emulations of old stuff with presets made to sound like that era and people not going much further than presets. I am not anti preset but let's call a spade a spade the reason why there is no innovation in sound is because most people are not trying to innovate sound but instead they are recreating music that they heard before and like

I totally agree with this.

You kinda wonder if there are any other drum machine similar to 808 but with totally diffrent sounds.....

Great feedback! Thank you all! One more question...

Do you think there will EVER come a time where we do have a new innovative sound/genre, and if so, where do you think it will come from??

Once again, thank you all!!

I totally agree with this.

You kinda wonder if there are any other drum machine similar to 808 but with totally diffrent sounds.....
You mean with synthetic drum sounds? Tons of them. Roland and Korg released a shit ton of them in the 80s. Modern 808s don't even sound like the drum machine anymore though.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Great feedback! Thank you all! One more question...

Do you think there will EVER come a time where we do have a new innovative sound/genre, and if so, where do you think it will come from??

Once again, thank you all!!
I think at this point everything will be a fusion genre. Stuff like Dubstep (which to my understanding is really closely tied to Drum and Bass) is probably the last real innovation we have seen. The problem is that we don't teach our children to innovate anymore and that is usually where the new creative ideas come from. People tend to discourage children from being creative and instead teach them to be practical and it shows in all walks of life really. There is a reason why we get rehashes of everything out there these days. All reality shows are pretty much the same. Video games and movies are all basically the same with difference faces. Even in something like music where people say there are no rules to (irony) is really just rehashes of old stuff. We have the Electronic world recreating the 80s synth movement, the hip hop world trying to innovate but people don't get it but then they bring back styles we were wearing in the late 80s fashion wise. I loved it the first time I saw a 15 year old with a high top fade. Nothing under the sun is new. We don't create anymore we remix.

Back