Sample collage tutorials

Hey guys,
I'm wanting to produce sample based hip-hop music. I want to make sample collage based music like RJD2/Prettylights,ETC. I know i would need to know the key of each sample/tempo/etc., but if anyone can give me any direction on where to start to the easiest way to do this, that'd be awesome. if you can give me a link of tutorials on this subject. Any type of tips or anything on sample based hip-hop music at all will help. Even if someone could list the fundamental of this type of music and what it consists of and what ill need to know make it will help. thank you!

Last edited:
I make sample based HipHop and to be honest... I don't know what your asking...

I just find a sample (or samples that 'work' together) and flip 'em. Trial and error.
Sorting tempo (or pitch in most instances) is easy... Timestretch is your new best friend...

If it's the wrong key; it's the wrong sample...

In terms of 'finding' samples it's going to depend on your method of getting them into your DAW/sampler.

For a couple of years I did my digging pretty much exclusively on YouTube. It's a really massive record crate. But the process (YouTube-2-MP3 converters - Audacity to convert to WAV) is very different to using actual records.

Since picking up a turntable my workflow has changed dramatically and made a real impact on both my process and output.
I'm quicker and better than I was... But I'm also more careful about what I'm using and spending more time actually listening to music (that isn't HipHop)

Record shopping is now a major part of my process... And there's a genuine excitement when I pull the disc from its sleeve for the first time... Sometimes you buy a total lemon but when you hear something and think "that's the joint right there" it's straight in and straight to work.

Last edited:
What I meant was if i wanted to sample the horn section from one song, a bass line from another, and drum break from another how would i go about putting them all together for my song? like layering samples. What tools would i need to take just a bass line or horn section from a song and put it in my own? and are there plug-ins that would tell me the key of a sample so i could sort through ones that would work together easier and faster? and do i change the tempo of all my samples to match that of my project in my DAW? I use FL studio by the way. I hear of people listening through old records and songs on the web. Do you program your own drums or do you sample them and loop them as well? sorry if my questions sound confusing. ive made songs with samples that i've snatched from youtube. I just want to know how these other artists take upwards to 15 or so samples from different songs and genres and make them fit together.

IN FL studio you can timestretch the sample. you can set it to fit to 1 bar, 2 bar... I don't use it anymore so I don't remember very much..

And about the key note of the sample, you have to use your ears to find out.

Back