S950

If you can get one that has had extra memory installed that's aways a plus.

The only way to get an S950 is secondhand, and because they are so heavy it is best to be able to pick one up local, but if you have to ship you have to ship.

the memory can be found on ebay. Personally though I would just go for an S3000 unless u really wanted a 12bit sampler. These are good machines though.

There is aftermarket memory floating around but you have to hunt it down and it is mad expensive.

The S950 does not have SCSI as standard (the RS-232 port on the back might look like SCSI but it is not) there was a SCSI expansion made for the S950 but they are rare and you don't see them very often.

get one with as much of everything in it as possible better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

I found one stock. Would it stupid to get it without the IB 109 expansion scsi and the maxed out memory. Are those 2 things hard to come by?

It is not too often you see an IB 109 SCSI expansion board being sold without an S950 wrapped around it.

The SCSI expansion is nice but you can live without it on a machine that has less stock memory than a floppy disk.

I don't know if these guys are still selling the memory for the S950 http://www.masterbits.de/exp_e.htm but as you can see it is quite expensive.

So, the scsi makes it so you can use zip disks? Also, If the stock memory is 750 kb. How many of those 750 cards would you need to max the machine out to 2.25 mg. I dont know how those kbs add up haha

Last edited:
Yes you can use Zip disks with the SCSI expansion and it also adds a digital input.

The S950 has 750 KB standard and you can add two 750 KB modules to it, bringing the total memory to 2.25 MB.

In Akai speak that's 512 Kwords with the standard 750 KB, 1024 Kwords if it has been expanded to 1.5MB and 1536 Kwords when fully expanded to 2.25MB.

Good look on that, that scsi board seems almost impossible to get. The memory cards are floating around though.

---------- Post added 07-31-2010 at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-30-2010 at 05:39 PM ----------

Do they all have that blue screen?

It is quite common for the blue back-light to fail on these machines, you can replace the EL foil but most people don't bother because it is a pain in the ass.

Back