Royalties: How Do I Assure an Artist that I'm Going to Pay Them Accurately?

Puppet

Alright. Example:

Say I got a music video director, an rapper to spit over my beats, a singer to lay vocals over a hook, some musicians to play bongos over my beat, how can I ensure them that if my joint ever gets played on the radio that they'll all get a share?

I'm guessing first and foremost I would need an accountant to divi up all the % and $$ that each person deserves, and then what?

A contract would probably need to get written up first right?

Will doing the above things ensure that everybody gets their royalty cheques?

I'm just a little lost on the procedure... How would I do this from an indie perspective?

Thanks,

Puppet

How Do I Assure an Artist that I'm Going to Pay Them Accurately?

I would say first you should assure yourself, then yeah a nice and honest contract would be the next. Most of all be sure of the artist and the music, and know what your up against, point blank.....

As dwells said, "split sheets". Consult an entertainment attorney if you are in need of artist/label/management/distribution/promotion contracts. It will cost you a decent sum up front, but if you are a serious producer and have contacts with people like booking agents and regional venues, these will pay for themselves and give you legal recourse should someone try to gyp you out of their end of a deal. I've done live act booking for the last couple years and have had to unfortunately battle such situations out in court. Contracts will save your reputation and wallet.

Back