Roxul Insulation

IPM Music

Fremen
I've seen this on YouTube being used to make DIY acoustical treatments, and of course, they claim it works great. But I haven't talked to anyone who has first-hand experience with it. Has anyone here actually used Roxul and can give a quick thumbs-up or down? Thx.

Roxul stuff works well. Safe'n'Sound can be used to make thicker traps, like large corner absorbers. Their semi-rigid line can be used for smaller, like 4 or 6 inch absorbers. Its mineral wool so its pretty crumbly when you're working with it, it doesn't stay together nearly as well as fiberglass, but still works well for absorption.

Update: So I ended up using the Roxul to make corner bass traps. Worked out well, and combined with some other new additions, the room is sounding great.

Oh yeah... Wear gloves when handling Roxul.

Last edited:
I was looking for the same type of reviews and came across your post. THANKS! Did you make bass traps with it? I was planning on making floor to ceiling traps as well as a couple panels in the first reflection positions.

I was looking for the same type of reviews and came across your post. THANKS! Did you make bass traps with it? I was planning on making floor to ceiling traps as well as a couple panels in the first reflection positions.

Exactly what I did. Ended up with a couple floor-to-ceiling bass corner traps, and hit the first reflection points. Noticeable difference.

BTW, I did all of this with one bag of Roxul. Had very little leftover. Spray glue is also a key component. If you hit YouTube for a few videos on DIY Roxul traps, they all follow similar basic guidelines. That's where I got my ideas.

Last edited:
I've been watching a ton of youtube and making lists of supplies at work. I actually noticed DaGSpotSoldiers's post of his studio build walkthrough and linked to his videos.

You say one bag and I believe you, but I keep thinking I wont have enough once I start. Hopefully I calculated everything correctly, they dont stock the one I want regularly at the Lowes near me.

I've been watching a ton of youtube and making lists of supplies at work. I actually noticed DaGSpotSoldiers's post of his studio build walkthrough and linked to his videos.

You say one bag and I believe you, but I keep thinking I wont have enough once I start. Hopefully I calculated everything correctly, they dont stock the one I want regularly at the Lowes near me.
This place (Scrap Mineral Wool) sells a big box of scraps for 12.00 bucks +shipping (depending on where u live, mine was bout 30 all together) and I just used it to make a couple of small bass traps to supplement the other treatment i have.

Back