Roland SRX and SR-JV80 cards

doggyaugie

Hi all,
I am about to get a Roland XV-3080 from a friend. I will be using it mostly for strings and synths (I don't need drums or loops). It already has inside:
SRX-04 Strings
SR-JV80-02 Orch I
SR-JV80-16 Orch II
SR-JV80-06 Dance

I'm nearly 100% sure I'll keep all those as well as buy the SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth card as well, which leaves me with one empty SRX slot, so my question is:

Should I go for SRX-05 Supreme Dance, or SRX-08 Platinum Trax? I know the Platinum Trax has waveforms from the Hip Hop, Techno, and House SR-JV80 cards, while the Supreme Dance has new waveforms. But how similar are Supreme Dance SRX and Dance SRJV? Would it be redundant to own both? I've listened to samples on synthmania.com (great site btw) but I'd like to hear what future producers think. Once again, for these cards I care more about the synths (like rave-type leads) than anything else.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you going to look into a SR-JV cards look at the Session card... Bread and Butter + Bump + Synth...

My favorite...

I'd go for the supreme dance. Just because the hip hop SR-JV expansion is pure crap and I'd want nothing with sounds from it. I think I had the techno expansion and it was much better as far as pure drums were concerned. I don't know that SRX-05 has any patches from the SR-JV dance card. Though the Techno and house cards were okay the sounds are old and still a bit on the thin side so I'd rather go for new samples over reworked ones.

If the src-05 card does have repeat patches from the SR-jv dance card then you can get rid of it and get something other SR-JV card to give you some variety.

Thanks for your input.

Dirtymike, I don't need bread and butter sounds, but I'll check out some samples online.

Sleepy,
I'm pretty sure SRX-05 doesn't have any waveforms from SR-JV dance because JV dance was discontinued due to legal reasons. I just thought maybe they might be too similar. If you can remember, how were the synth leads on the techno card, since I'm not interested in its drums?

Thanks again to both of you for advice. Anybody else have experience with these cards?

I think the best thing in general about Roland sounds is that they can cut through mixes well. With that said, I don't think you'll hear any of the Roland rom synths and forget that a minimoog or so exists.

I think they are decent. It just depends what you want. Some people still go for the MU100 for its sounds even thuogh its outdated. If you're a fan or Roland sounds I think you'll like that the Techno card has to offer. Though honestly I thought the best thing about the cards were the drum sounds as most were pretty clean. Only the hip hop card was borderline horrible except for a few sounds that saved it.

The stock synth patches on the XV line of synths are definitely better than anything I remember from the SR-JV cards that I had. I had the Fantom FA-76 and though I missed some JV sounds here and there, there wasn't a lot of competition. So I'd definitely go for the SRX dance card over the Platinum trax since I'd feel more confident about new wavevorms specifically designed for the XV line over the platinum trax card with its rehashed sounds.

Just remember that they are "old" cards already...and some, like Platinum Trax, have aged pretty badly...meaning, they're filled with some very cheesy "90's Roland" sounding things.

In my opinion, SRX-12, the electric piano card, has one of the best HARDWARE Rhodes emulations out there, just to let you know.

You can audition sounds from all the cards on this site: http://www.rolandus.com/flash/demos/srx/

Duke,

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. I know they are old (and they sound like it), but I do like some of the old 90's Roland sounds. The SRX-12 demo on the Roland site does sound good, but persoanlly I love the keyboards in my S90ES and some softsynths. I'd mostly be using the XV for stuff I don't have covered with my ES and Proteus2K: strings and synth leads. Once again, thanks for sharing.

what's up guys, i have a question, i was planning on getting an orchestral card as well as the orchestral II, though i found that the SRX Complete Orchestra card has all the sounds that the sr-jv80 cards above have plus the Vocal card as well. so... not regarding money, would that mean it's beneficial? are all the presets included in the SRX version?

Back