Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame or Hip Hop Hall Of Fame...Gene Simmons of KISS Says...

FeloneusSupremeProd

FP Official Threadkiller
I can see why people would question the idea of putting Hip Hop artist into the Rock & Roll Hall of fame but I think Gene Simmons is off base with the whole guitar and writing your own songs thing.

Simmons says "if you don't play guitar and you don't write your own songs, you don't belong there."

Kiss Singer Gene Simmons Complains About Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inducting Hip Hop Artists | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

Ice Cube recently mention a Hip Hop Hall of Fame too but could we really have a real Hip Hop Hall Of Fame that would stand the test of time like the rock and roll hall of fame? With the lack of respect a lot of the younger generation has for great artist in the past I don't think it is sustainable. You have to have financial support to keep such a place up and Hip Hop artist are not going to help with its upkeep to keep the place open. An artist like Kanye would donate but only if it was to make the Kanye West wing the biggest and the best. Thoughts???

Re gene simmons - he plays bass so he is not eligible by his criteria, keith moon and john bonham and ringo would also fail as they are drummers, fats domino is anything but rock n roll but he was a performer (piano) and writer in the rock n roll era - so I would ignore his opinion as misaligned to the reality of the rock n roll hall of fame - to recognise individual or group talent over time in the general sphere of rock music (read pop music).

As for a hip hop hall of fame
you need an organisation that recognises your market niche first to create the hall of fame as a brand - probably a not-for-profit that runs the inductee program via the grammies (or whatever) similar to the rock n roll and country music halls of fame. then as with these other two examples, the inductees are selected not by the general public but by industry members of the organsiation - there might be some surveys of public opinion, but the trustees and the broader industry membership would participate in the ballot process

it took over 30 years for a rock n roll hall of fame to emerge, we are at that juncture in rap/hip hop now time for the current and past industry heavyweights to man up and leave a legacy for the next generation to investigate and learn from....

Go back and read the article. His complaint is about how diluted the HOF has become...He included his own induction into the HOF in that statement.

he's right even though kiss sucks. he wasn't JUST talking about hip-hop, he said only rock n roll should be in the rock n roll hall of fame which makes sense. hell i don't even give a damn about the rock n roll hall of fame to be honest.

"With the lack of respect a lot of the younger generation has for great artist in the past I don't think it is sustainable." by FeloneousSupremeProd

This is the realest line in the argument.
since I been on FP, I realised the community is fulla unappreciative, ignorant young'ns dat dont even know y they rap and y they luv rap music.
They just following swag and looking for father figures in fake dudes.

Last edited:
The rock and roll hall of fame is pretty much just the music hall of fame. If it were strictly rock and roll he'd have a more valid point, but since it's incorporated artists from a variety of genres it kinda sounds stupid.

The rock and roll hall of fame is pretty much just the music hall of fame. If it were strictly rock and roll he'd have a more valid point, but since it's incorporated artists from a variety of genres it kinda sounds stupid.

Except that was the point he was arguing. It should not include anyone not in Rock and Roll or who plays guitar and writes their own music.

He admitted he himself should not be there and also said that he admired Flash and DMC but they don't belong there either.

Gene is a smart dude and has a point to his argument

Except that was the point he was arguing. It should not include anyone not in Rock and Roll or who plays guitar and writes their own music.

He admitted he himself should not be there and also said that he admired Flash and DMC but they don't belong there either.

Gene is a smart dude and has a point to his argument

"In the same interview, Simmons described his dissatisfaction with the selection committee’s decision to induct only the original members of his own band, overlooking both a guitar player and drummer in the current lineup. As a result, Simmons and Kiss have decided not to perform at the ceremony scheduled for April 10 at the Barclay’s Center in New York City"

Simmons, who as a member of Kiss’ original outfit was recently inducted into the Hall, detailed his opinion that “if you don’t play guitar and you don’t write your own songs, you don’t belong there.” Downplaying his own induction, Simmons described the honor as “diluted.

He also went on to say " You’ve got Grandmaster Flash in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Run-DMC in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? You’re killing me! That doesn’t mean those aren’t good artists. But they don’t play guitar. They sample and they talk. Not even sing!”

As far as Ego Killer saying KISS sucks...they have been around for 4 decades and have millions of dedicated fans that still follow them and go to their shows. The reason Gene Simmons had a good run on his reality show.

Ice Cube interview on HipHopDX

Last December, the nominations for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame were announced and N.W.A.(along with LL Cool J) were noticably absent from the nominations. Cube hope the group’s omission will incite the formation of a Hip Hop Hall of Fame:

"It sucks. But it’s understandable. We really only had one album together. They had two albums as a group. I’m sure that groups that have been together longer can make a better argument. But this just lets you know how much we need a hip-hop hall of fame of our own."

Now they had only two full albums as a group (1 without Ice Cube) but they had such a tremendous impact on Hip Hop/ Rap and music in general good or bad that to overlook the worlds most dangerous group seems a bit off. It still gave the world one of the greatest emcees in Ice Cube and one of the greatest producers in Dr. Dre. Who knows what further impact Eazy-E may have had if he had not passed.

Anyway...is a Hip Hop Hall Of Fame feasible or sustainable?

Last edited:
NWA most definitely deserves a spot if a hip hop halll of fame were organized.

Whether such a thing would be feasible or sustainable is something only time will tell. I see some true greats of the past that deserve the honor and recognition without dilution. The problem is that the contributions made are only a small part of the process when it comes to the RRHOF.

With Kiss I think the original lineup should all be inducted, in fact I think the entire lineup up to the early 80s should be included because although they weren't my favorite band they changed the way the music world marketed music and musicians...Gene and Paul essentially created the game all others hope to play in.

I would love to see a HHHOF that incorporates all aspects of hip hop from the music, turntablists, dancers and associated forms (including trip hop) and Graf artists. I think even then it will get politicized in a way that would be damaging to the community's sense of history which as we know is already convoluted.

This is the same thing that happened with punk rock, nobody has any accurate accounting of who and when it happened so everyone is claiming "first" or "greatest". What we need is a neutral third party to do some heavy research into the true origins (goes back further than the 70's), the true originators, the ones who came out with the use of certain aspects that have carried over for decades and how it has transformed culture around the world and when those transformations began or how.

We have a spoken history in this community and a lot of people are embellishing in such a way as to destroy something truly great and all encompassing.

Last edited:
^i hate to say it but i think eventually few will give a **** about the birth of hip-hop, i was born in 87 so i witnessed a lot of the 90s so i do myself but kids growing up today probably won't/

re

Simmons idea of songwriting is pretty off base but I wouldnt call Kiss much of songwriters anyway. I want to rock n roll all nite aint exactly Dylan or Townes... I personally believe the rock n roll hall of fame is lame and the antithesis of everything rock n roll. not too mention that it is Ohio? I know why, Alan Freed, but that is a lame reason. The obvious place for it to be is memphis. Rock n roll is also a very wide term so there are tons of bands in there that dont fit that genre exactly. Quite a few blues artists, for example (highly deserving imo). now, I personally think Kiss is a terrible band and would never vote for them over the many better bands that have been left out over the years and would vote for many hip hop artists before them but at some point they should just change the name to the pop music hall of fame anyway or something like that. but anyway I would vote against kiss and for NWA any day.

Simmons idea of songwriting is pretty off base but I wouldnt call Kiss much of songwriters anyway. I want to rock n roll all nite aint exactly Dylan or Townes... I personally believe the rock n roll hall of fame is lame and the antithesis of everything rock n roll. not too mention that it is Ohio? I know why, Alan Freed, but that is a lame reason. The obvious place for it to be is memphis. Rock n roll is also a very wide term so there are tons of bands in there that dont fit that genre exactly. Quite a few blues artists, for example (highly deserving imo). now, I personally think Kiss is a terrible band and would never vote for them over the many better bands that have been left out over the years and would vote for many hip hop artists before them but at some point they should just change the name to the pop music hall of fame anyway or something like that. but anyway I would vote against kiss and for NWA any day.

They wrote and performed a lot more songs than just Rock and Roll All Night ;)

In fact they have written and performed 342 songs according to this chart
KISS Songs, Complete list of KISS Songs & Music

and as terrible as they may be I have never seen a better live show in my life as seeing Kiss live on stage in the mid 80's and again in the early 90s. Now they are a bit old and haggard but still play to the audience and know how to entertain and give your moneys worth. They had some real sh*t songs in there (remember their disco album?) but they had some good ones as well.

Like I said their mark was in how they changed the marketing aspect of bands and controlling your music, they also took stage presence to a whole other level which is where most of their fans came from as opposed to their albums and they knew this was the case.

re

I can respect their marketing. I went to one concert when I was a kid and they were massively popular with kids and sold a buttload of stuff in those days. I remember it being fun but like I said I personally never got them musically, but to each their own. again im not into the rock n roll hall of fame but I would be pretty tight on who I let in. and I dont think Donna Summer should be in their either. as sly said, different strokes for different folks...

Back