Replacing AKG k77 headphones

dfleck

Greetings FP. Just want to start by saying this forum is fantastic, and its been my go-to for answers for years.

Yesterday my AKG k77's took a dump on me. I bought them 4 years ago for $50 and was very satisfied with them. Granted, they are the only headphones I have used, so I don't have any real comparison. I would like to stay at or under $100 for a replacement, and im looking for mainly for decent freq accuracy/clarity. I would like to stay with around-ear style just bc its put me in the zone and I do a lot of late night work lol.

I started at AKG and found my K77's and K44's. They seem very simliar, a few sites had the K44's ($32) ranked a bit higher than the 77's ($46). Then I did a lot of reading on other brands and have some models in mind. The 2 that seem pretty mainline are the Shure SRH440 and the Sennheiser HD-280 for right around $100. After a bit more digging I came across some less advertised ones. The CAD Audio MH310 and the Audio Technica ATH-M35, coming in at about $60/70.

I find myself leaning toward the CAD MH310's based on a handful of reviews. I know a lot of it is personal preference, and different brands will have pros and cons, but my main concern is loudness. My mixes tend to be quieter bc its software, and I turn the volume of my DAW down a bit to avoid clipping in a busy mix (Maybe thats a testiment to my poor mixing and arrangements, but its what i do ha).

I do not find my AKG K77's to be overly loud. I just use a standard sound card and no amp for now. So when I see the AKG k77's are 32 ohm and sensitivity is 112db, and the AKG k44's very similar, I question if these other phones will be loud enough for my preference. The CAD MH310's impedance is 30 ohm and sensitivity is 98db, and the other models fall in between 100-105 db with impedence ranging 44-65 ohm. So while im not opposed to trying something different, I don't want to get phones that can't reach the volume I need. I tried reading up on the topic of differences in impedance and sensitivity, but the results were far from conclusive for me, so I thought id see if the FP fam could give me some guidance. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Back