Renting Studios

You can do it in a week, if you're willing to spend day and night in the studio.

For an indie, I'd say $25,000 is enough to get an album done. I'd say the major variables will be your artist and your producer.
Does your artist have live performance experience? That greatly helps out in sessions.
Does the person who will be producing the sessions have any vocal experience? Diddy has no vocal training, but he knows what goes into making a great record. His producers usually have vocal training or live performance experience. (Stevie J, Mario Winans, Ryan Leslie, etc).

Is your recording engineer going to be the mixing engineer? This would be a plus, as the song can get tracked in a manner that's going to make it easy for the engineer to mix. It's hell getting a song to mix, when the recording engineer had no clue what they were doing.

I'd rather get it done in a week or two, having evening and weekend sessions so I'd be able to sit in on the sessions. I'd just make sure that all the records were picked out and all the lyrics were written down and memorized. I actually was thinking of maybe finding a vocal producer from the musicians institute that's in LA. I already know where I'm gonna send the songs to be mastered, so I would be looking for an engineer that would be mixing the song as well.

As far as the producers, I really wanted to get a producer that could be in the studio as well, but I'll most likely be getting custom made beats from Soundclick producers. I'm only being cheap because I might take out a loan and I don't want the money going to waste. If I were to be lucky enough to establish a small and reputable indie label, I'd want to have a production budget of around $100,000.

Last edited:
I'd rather get it done in a week or two, having evening and weekend sessions so I'd be able to sit in on the sessions. I'd just make sure that all the records were picked out and all the lyrics were written down and memorized. I actually was thinking of maybe finding a vocal producer from the musicians institute that's in LA. I already know where I'm gonna send the songs to be mastered, so I would be looking for an engineer that would be mixing the song as well.

As far as the producers, I really wanted to get a producer that could be in the studio as well, but I'll most likely be getting custom made beats from Soundclick producers. I'm only being cheap because I might take out a loan and I don't want the money going to waste. If I were to be lucky enough to establish a small and reputable indie label, I'd want to have a production budget of around $100,000.

spend some time in the this section plenty of reputable mix engineers
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/recording-mixing-mastering/

here's my brother in Christ mixing service page
http://www.newproducer101.com/2010/09/services.html

-Coach Antonio

My advice...you sound like a novice to all of this. So don't take out a loan just yet...start out cutting 2 solid records, and work those records for a few months. This is so you can get experience from end to end, in everything from booking studio time, to digital distribution, to marketing and promotion, to booking shows and collecting your money.

Do that so you can get some real world, persona experience, and then tackle an entire project. This way, you don't waste a bunch of money you don't have on growing pains.

I was able to view the site Tone. I wish she was in CA instead of Nashville.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

My advice...you sound like a novice to all of this. So don't take out a loan just yet...start out cutting 2 solid records, and work those records for a few months. This is so you can get experience from end to end, in everything from booking studio time, to digital distribution, to marketing and promotion, to booking shows and collecting your money.

Do that so you can get some real world, persona experience, and then tackle an entire project. This way, you don't waste a bunch of money you don't have on growing pains.

I'm not doing this anytime soon. I'm planning for this to happen 3-5 years down the road. I don't plan on releasing an album until more than a year after I sign my first artist.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

I'm not doing this anytime soon. I'm planning for this to happen 3-5 years down the road. I don't plan on releasing an album until more than a year after I sign my first artist.

nashville the songwriter's capital
and the home of Gospel Music Association | Our Mission is to Expose, Promote and Celebrate the Gospel Through Music

I'm sure there are plenty of RnB and Pop vocal coaches/vocal arrangers/vocal producers in Cali

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

The game will be completely different in 3-5 years...trust me.

Start here...

All You Need to Know About the Music Business: Seventh Edition: Donald S. Passman: 9781439153017: Amazon.com: Books

And then when you're done, go here...

Amazon.com: Music Money and Success 7th Edition: The Insider's Guide to Making Money in the Music Business (9780825673696): Jeffrey Brabec, Todd Brabec: Books

And when you're done, read them over again.

A year that seems like a long time what are you going to do with the artist in the meantime ???
work the city/region doing gigs????

you have to keep that artist paid and/or building a career
as least a few singles and work those so ppl get to know the artist and you need to keep the artist relevant and in ppl's sight
out of sight out of mind.

-Coach Antonio

I'm gonna wait till the new edition comes out in December. And the book is a requirement for the class I'm taking next year at Berklee.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

A year that seems like a long time what are you going to do with the artist in the meantime ???
work the city/region doing gigs????

you have to keep that artist paid and/or building a career
as least a few singles and work those so ppl get to know the artist and you need to keep the artist relevant and in ppl's sight
out of sight out of mind.

-Coach Antonio

If it's a brand new artist, you gotta build them up. Not gonna waste my time and money and just release an album just do it. I want people to anticipate their album. I'm gonna manage them, get live gigs, songwriting gigs, etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but I want to sell at least 2,000 records in it's first week. I want it crack the Billboard 200.

Last edited:
I'm gonna wait till the new edition comes out in December. And the book is a requirement for the class I'm taking next year at Berklee.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

If it's a brand new artist, you gotta build them up. Not gonna waste my time and money and just release an album just do it. I want people to anticipate their album. I'm gonna manage them, get live gigs, songwriting gigs, etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but I want to sell at least 2,000 records in it's first week. I want it crack the Billboard 200.

can't wait till Decemeber
for the 8th Edition
I'm glad I got that information out to the forum about it coming out in December as many where about to buy the older edition
the newer edition
hopefully will cover more the music industry environment of today

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

can't wait till Decemeber
for the 8th Edition
I'm glad I got that information out to the forum about it coming out in December as many where about to buy the older edition
the newer edition
hopefully will cover more the music industry environment of today

I was at the website getting ready to pay for it when you posted that the new edition was coming out in December.

Then you'd better start getting that artist out there now. Youtube videos, releasing original singles every month, etc.

You have to remember, we're in the age of SINGLES. Albums rarely sell anymore. People just buy the single off iTunes.

Then you'd better start getting that artist out there now. Youtube videos, releasing original singles every month, etc.

You have to remember, we're in the age of SINGLES. Albums rarely sell anymore. People just buy the single off iTunes.

I'm just gonna spend these next 3 years learning as much about the business as I can.

Back