Renting Studios

JMD_Music

I was just browsing Craigslist and saw some recording studios for rent. Not being a producer, I don't know how this works, but has anybody ever been to a writing camp? Or been flown out to a location to spend time in the studio producing and writing with another artist.

I was just browsing Craigslist and saw some recording studios for rent. Not being a producer, I don't know how this works, but has anybody ever been to a writing camp? Or been flown out to a location to spend time in the studio producing and writing with another artist.

Yes. What do you want to know?

Just wondering how all that works. Something I'm considering doing. Does renting a studio lower production costs instead of just sending them to a studio owned by an engineer where you just reserve and rent hours?

Just wondering how all that works. Something I'm considering doing. Does renting a studio lower production costs instead of just sending them to a studio owned by an engineer where you just reserve and rent hours?

The studio's that I've been in, you can rent the studio, but you have to supply your own engineer. And if you don't know how to run the equipment, you gotta rent their engineer for the session.

Separate costs for the studio space, and for the engineer.

What's your purpose for wanting to rent a studio?

What's your purpose for wanting to rent a studio?

I just noticed that labels do that a lot. They pay to rent the studio then pay extra for the engineer instead of just using an engineer that already owns a studio.
As a producer, if someone pays for your studio time and gives you 24/7 availability to the studio, and you produce and write songs to the album with the artist there (which I think is always best), are you gonna charge the normal amount you would per song?

I just noticed that labels do that a lot. They pay to rent the studio then pay extra for the engineer instead of just using an engineer that already owns a studio.
As a producer, if someone pays for your studio time and gives you 24/7 availability to the studio, and you produce and write songs to the album with the artist there (which I think is always best), are you gonna charge the normal amount you would per song?

Usually labels are using commercial recording facilities. Engineers generally don't own commercial grade studio's.

As a producer, yes you would charge them the normal amount to write and produce the track. Plus you'll charge them for the use of your facility. Those are 2 separate charges.

Producing and Writing songs isn't charged at an hourly rate, whereas studio time is.

As a producer, yes you would charge them the normal amount to write and produce the track. Plus you'll charge them for the use of your facility. Those are 2 separate charges.

You got me confused at this part. As a label, you'd charge the producer for the use of the facility?

most producers who have a studio where you can track a song
are usually a AUDIO ENGINEER

so they are there when you are there because that's their personal spaces

and they wil have set hours of operations
or
you can set up times to use the studio and the producer/engineer's services because most home based studio owners don't want others touching their equipment

I suggest you spend some time here Gearslutz.com

you'll learn more about this
ppl with private owned home studios (some are amazing too)

Understand you'll be like P.Diddy where you are the executive producer running the session to make sure your money or your investor's money is getting used correctly and efficiency

tracking artists has always been my strong suite
mixing on the other hand still beefing up my skills

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

You got me confused at this part. As a label, you'd charge the producer for the use of the facility?

No...as a producer, if the label is using your studio, you'd charge them for the use of your studio. That is a completely separate charge from actually writing and producing the song.

No...as a producer, if the label is using your studio, you'd charge them for the use of your studio. That is a completely separate charge from actually writing and producing the song.

Ok, and do you know anything about vocal producers/song arrangers? I've noticed a lot of people have them in their twitter bios.

Are they necessary? Assuming they charge by the hour. Would it be best to find an engineer that's also a vocal producer. Trying to create a realistic budget.

Are they necessary? Assuming they charge by the hour. Would it be best to find an engineer that's also a vocal producer. Trying to create a realistic budget.

Depends.

For me, a good vocal producer is one who used to be a singer, or has some sort of singing training. The voice is an instrument, which requires a mastery of using the diaphragm, lungs, throat, tongue, lips and head. You can get different types of sound and convey different types of emotion depending on what you do with each one (or a combination of) those pieces.

Someone without that background may be able to tell the singer "sound more sensual", but only someone with that training and background will be able to tell the singer HOW to achieve that sound with their instrument.

A vocal producer is very important to the outcome of the song. Because no matter how hot the beat/lyrics are, it's the vocal performance that's going to ultimately make or break the song.

Also, the arranger (if not the producer) plays a critical role, as they strategically place vocal harmonies, crescendo's (and decrescendo's), etc. So you need someone who again, has that musical training, to know how to construct the right harmonies (and combination of harmonies) to achieve the right effect.

Can you get away without them, sure. Just depends on what your budget is.

no the label gives the artist/their management a budget to go out and rent studio time
most studios have two to three room available
that's why
Kurt Franklin could be recording in one room and Lecrae could be recording in another room

now to keep cost down you could always have the your beats ready and songs wrote
and having beats ready means you have the trackouts ready to be loaded up in the studio's DAW of choice

there was a time when songs were wrote,instrumentals were made(session players hired),song recorded and song mixed all in one sessions
with additional sessions for things that needed to be finished up
these could be over 1-2 or over a span of two weeks for one song

but things can be do in a shorter run
that's why I told you before you need to research audio engineering in general so you know how these things run

but like I said on Gearslutz.com it's full of audio engineer ppl who recorded Michael Jackson,Wu-Tang,Britany Spears...
I wouldn't go over there asking random questions like this though
as you can use the search button on the site and learn a ton just by reading older threads
here are a couple of studio built by gearslut memebers

12th Street Sound -- Austin, Texas -- Construction Thread - Gearslutz.com

Garage Studio Build - Gearslutz.com

when I want to talk audio engineering and tracking/mixing equipment I'm on gearslutz.com

and I'm here on this forum
learning from ppl like Moses and Krushing/Foggy/MorningStar/Chris Carter/Himbeats
this is the section to be in with it comes to studio stuff
for me anyway
this is more like the gossip section with some great information threads here and there(once in a blue moon)
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/recording-mixing-mastering/

I also enjoy this site as well
John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • Index page

going with a private home studio owner will be cheaper in most cases
but you'll have to make sure the (home studio owner)
the person tracking your artist knows what they are doing and has a decent acoustic treated room
(you may hire them to mix your artist(s) work as well or use another audio engineer to do that)
build relationship with tracking/mixing engineer now get to know their work

and you need to make sure to get the best performance out of your artist(s)

some artists are still wet behind the ear(don't know anything about recording)
so you may need to send them through a recording studio bootcamp and show them studio etiquette the first few times they are in the studio
the tracking engineer can assist you as well

hope this helps you
in your adventure

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Depends.

Can you get away without them, sure. Just depends on what your budget is.

I'm starting to get the idea that I should be raising my production budget from $10,000 to maybe $25,000. I want the artist to have a vocal producer in the studio with them along with having a good engineer so we can the best out of them. I'd like to have the album recorded in a month, with about 12-16 songs, if that's not too fast.

http://judyrodman.com/

JDM_Music plan on spending time learning from a vocal coach/vocal arranger/vocal producer
I plan on having one in my camp

I meet a few school trained vocal coaches in my area
hopefully I hook up with one in the future when needed

I talked to a few of them who where trained at Christian based Music Colleges or through the music department of Christian schools which is important to me as well as their skill level

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
I'm starting to get the idea that I should be raising my production budget from $10,000 to maybe $25,000. I want the artist to have a vocal producer in the studio with them along with having a good engineer so we can the best out of them. I'd like to have the album recorded in a month, with about 12-16 songs, if that's not too fast.

You can do it in a week, if you're willing to spend day and night in the studio.

For an indie, I'd say $25,000 is enough to get an album done. I'd say the major variables will be your artist and your producer.

Does your artist have live performance experience? That greatly helps out in sessions.

Does the person who will be producing the sessions have any vocal experience? Diddy has no vocal training, but he knows what goes into making a great record. His producers usually have vocal training or live performance experience. (Stevie J, Mario Winans, Ryan Leslie, etc).

Is your recording engineer going to be the mixing engineer? This would be a plus, as the song can get tracked in a manner that's going to make it easy for the engineer to mix. It's hell getting a song to mix, when the recording engineer had no clue what they were doing.

Beat makers and record producers are 2 totally different things. When you start cutting records for your artists, you'll QUICKLY find out the difference between the two, and the value that an actual record producer brings to your final product.

Link not working for me so I googled her. Sounds like she might be real expensive.

yes she may there are other
music professors at school who teach vocal training
learning to network with these type of ppl now
get yourself a team of professionals you can contact/pull on when needed for your future label

apply it to your business objectives

the link works for me????

-Coach Antonio

Back