Recording MIDI data to MPC & DAW simultaneously

Please may I have some help on knowing how to do the following (should it be possible).

I want to be able to record the MIDI data into my DAW (Nuendo/Cubase) and MPC simultaneously. This means that I will have my tracks saved as audio within my MPC, with the MIDI positioning saved to my DAW (for more intricate editing, either while creating or when I come to it later).

Could some please run me through the connections.

Also, if I were to use a VST instrument when creating a beat. Is there a way of ensuring that the MIDI data records to both my DAW and the MPC simultaneously.

All help would be appreciated. Safe.

audio OUT to audio IN, midi OUT to midi IN, set the midi thru on the mpc, arm the track in nubase, record what you want, audio or midi, where you want. simple.
LevLove

Since midi isn't audio it's not possible.But depending on your soundcard/interface you can record the audio from the pc into the MPC although it won't go straight to the sequence.You could sample in (on the sample screen of course)and then assign the audio to a pad.However,recording to a DAW would be alot easier.

Peace

Last edited:
Using reaper as my Daw BTW

Midi out of key board into midi in #1 port of mpc .
Midi out A to pc midi in
Pc midi out to mpc midi in #2
Set mpc to receive mtc
Set reaper by right clicking the play button to send mtc
Make ur music by sequencing vsti or whatever and when its to mix down ARM all midi tracks in reaper and set the mpc to sync on

Press play and record on reaper it will trigger the mpc and record all midi notes
From the mpc into reaper
Use the same method to record your audio from the mpc into reaper so the time is sync

O forgot to mention set the tempo of reaper to the tempo of the mpc

Hope this helped

Since midi isn't audio it's not possible.

Wrong.....

But depending on your soundcard/interface you can record the audio from the pc into the MPC although it won't go straight to the sequence.You could sample in (on the sample screen of course)and then assign the audio to a pad.However,recording to a DAW would be alot easier.

Peace

Question was about MIDI data, not audio.

You can do this. Use the method described in the first post or buy a MIDI splitter box (previously known as a MIDI thru box) or a MIDI patchbay with routing storage.

If you go for either of the last two:
  1. MIDI out of the controller into the thru box/patchbay in
  2. 1st MIDI out of the thru box/patchbay to the MPC
  3. 2nd MIDI out of the thru box/patchbay to the DAW

Wrong.....

Question was about MIDI data, not audio.

You can do this. Use the method described in the first post or buy a MIDI splitter box (previously known as a MIDI thru box) or a MIDI patchbay with routing storage.

If you go for either of the last two:
  1. MIDI out of the controller into the thru box/patchbay in
  2. 1st MIDI out of the thru box/patchbay to the MPC
  3. 2nd MIDI out of the thru box/patchbay to the DAW

LOL! So midi is audio now.WOW........

But from the way i understood it,he wants to record straight to the sequence.I misread that.My bad.

Peace.

Last edited:
LOL! So midi is audio now.WOW........

Um, all you do is show your ignorance. MIDI has been around since late 1982 and was talked about for two years before that.

One of the first hardware devices developed for MIDI was a four way splitter box known as a MIDI thru box. Many different companies made them. These were developed to overcome the problems of latency as you daisy-chained many devices to each other. The MIDI through box allowed one controlled to operate 4 chains of hardware devices.

Then in 1986 Akai and Yamaha and a few others developed the MIDI patchbay: a digital routing box that would route 4 separate inputs to 8 separate outputs. All you need is separate optoisolators to drive each output circuit.

I was active throughout this period as a musician and studio engineer, so know these things first hand.

In future before you scoff, check your history or you might get another rude shock.

Last edited:
You said i was wrong about Midi not being audio and i laughed.So midi is audio?

You need to read before you come back and spout out a few useless statements chief.Patchbays had nothing to do with what i said.

Peace

Last edited:
I have a weird issue I'm having, hoping someone here can help a little. I'm running my 2000XL into my Mac, using Reason as a module being ReWired into PT9. Everything is fine up until I attempt to track out into PT9, random midi notes start triggering and end up being recorded into the PT midi/audio tracks. Anybody else experience this?! I've been watching near every YouTube video I can find on using this setup but no one has mentioned having this happen.

Back