record sucks

Not really.
The whole reason ReWire was made was to use Reason for what it excels in - as a stable, virtual instrument.

Also. Record is the new Reason. All your sound modules in Reason are added to Record so it's really only one program.

Prop is smart. If you already own reason it's only a $150 upgrade, and if you have an older version it will update you to Reason 4. It's not like you only get the ability to record in. You get a far better mixer and some great new plugins including one by Line 6 for guitar.

Trust me.
People WILL be mad they can't get a VST/RTAS/AU version of just the mixer alone.

Ur right, they are smart.you still need 2 programs to get the job done
Most other packages come with a MIXER and plugins...Along with the ability to sequence MIDI/Load VSTIs..oh yeah...and RECORD...

Last edited by a moderator:
Most other packages come with a MIXER and plugins...Along with the ability to sequence MIDI/Load VSTIs..oh yeah...and RECORD...

Where are you going with this?
If Record is not for you, don't buy it lol it's that simple. Propellerhead has never incorporated VST support with Reason why should they now?

i dont know why people get all caught up with new products. no ones forcing you to buy it. you dont have to buy every program that comes out. if it works for you, buy it, if not , get something that does.

The way Reason Rewires into record though is incredible!

You are basically just using one program. If Recycle 3 was done like this, Props would have a monster on their hands.

They don't really need VSTs (even though I own a whole lot). When you need that certain VST plug-in for mixing that's when you rewire.

What's weird about the Record is that its limitations in some ways are its beauty.

1. No it doesn't host VSTs or VSTis

2. No no midi out.

But

It's engine is super stable compared to many other programs.

With Record, you are using the built in tools that the props tweaked to work in their system as efficiently as possible.

Props biggest selling point is stability.

If Recycle 3 was done like this, Props would have a monster on their hands.

that would be a nice feature...

if Recycle is on your hardware it could be present in Record just like Reason...

record you source into Record, open recycle in record, drag-n-drop the wave file into Recycle, chop it up, and import/drag-n-drop the rex file into nn-xt or dr rex...

i feel with future enhencements the Propellerhead lineup (Record, Reason, Recycle, Refills) will be a monster...

if they would give recycle recording abilities id do backflips off the wall

if they incorporated recycle into record to where you could record something, chop it and save it/play it, instant orgasm

For years I've used FL Studio and Pro-Tools for all of my needs. I copped Reason 4 last year and I liked using the sounds so I would Rewire it with either FL or PT. I found that to be quite tedious, especially when I needed to track out my beats. I would want to record in PT as opposed to FL. It didn't matter to me as far as recording either or, because over the years I've learned the concepts of it all, so, honestly, I can use ANYTHING to record and edit with at this point. Real talk.

All that said, I picked up Record on Saturday, and I must say that I haven't been this excited about a program, probably ever. In my opinion, it makes me want to use it exclusively. I have two 20 inch monitors, so I can see the knobs pretty well...lol. The sound is incredible, and it's incredibly easy to just start recording vocals as well, and the sound is incredible. It didn't take me long to start using it either, maybe 3 hours, and I was doing my thing with it. As far as the board its modeled after, that's a world class board (SSL 9000). If you learn that board in real life, you've mastered the mother board. At any rate, it also has mastering effects, as well as a template you can use to sequence entire albums. If you like using Reason, I think that its well worth it to take the time to learn this program. Trust me. I may even go as far as transferring the FL+Reason stuff over to Record/Reason completely, and then cop Ableton, then I'd be ready to shift everything over to Mac! LOL...

Last edited:
knowing propellerheads they are going to milk it for all it is worth...

in other words, in about 2 to 3 years recycle will be updated...

yeah that's the problem with propellerheads. i love them and their products but they have such a dated marketing and product strategy.

you could say it's a good thing that they don't update their products that often because when they do it usually works and there aren't that many problems. the flipside to this is that the music software market is extremely fast moving. recycle is a nice product, and was great for a while, but right now it is priced all wrong. propellerheads don't seem to care about that at all.

with the way they've treated recycle i think they should just implement it into the rack for reason 5. then you could have a seamless reason/record combo.

yeah that's the problem with propellerheads. i love them and their products but they have such a dated marketing and product strategy.

you could say it's a good thing that they don't update their products that often because when they do it usually works and there aren't that many problems. the flipside to this is that the music software market is extremely fast moving. recycle is a nice product, and was great for a while, but right now it is priced all wrong. propellerheads don't seem to care about that at all.

with the way they've treated recycle i think they should just implement it into the rack for reason 5. then you could have a seamless reason/record combo.

i agree in sense but recycle is still the number one selling slicing tool on the market. and there are other slicing tools that are better but for some reason i guess people like the simplicity of recycle.

Back