R.I.P. 106 & Park

I was a college freshman when 106 & Park debuted. Given the lack of attention span of the current generation 14 years was a surprising run.

I only watched for the freestyle friday.

My favorite moments were Poster Boy killing everybody.....including

Shit is funny today. Hilarious!!! "Craig Mack tell your stunt devil to get off stage!":cry:

Last edited:

I was a college freshman when 106 & Park debuted. Given the lack of attention span of the current generation 14 years was a surprising run.

Not too many people know that Free did a track with Canibus before her 106th & Park fame. She had bars. She was recording an album while she was hosting 106th& Park but it was never released for some reason. She sings too in the Lauren Hill mold.

Last edited:
I use to watch it on a regular. When Terrence & Roxie left I knew they were in trouble. 14 years damn, y'all making me feel old.

Terrence and Roxie actually did pretty good... people didn't give them a chance
at first but they had good chemistry together.

I think what's more important about this is what it communicates lol, traditional
music video channels/platforms on tv are no longer relevant.... those days are
over. Actually they been over, i'm surprised it took them this long.

Terrence and Roxie actually did pretty good... people didn't give them a chance
at first but they had good chemistry together.

I think what's more important about this is what it communicates lol, traditional
music video channels/platforms on tv are no longer relevant.... those days are
over. Actually they been over, i'm surprised it took them this long.

But those music video channels/platforms aren't really irrelevant. they just have to be revamped, or done in a new way
that would make more people want to tune in. There are ways to do it, but you just need a new show. Yo Mtv Raps,
TRL, 106th and Park, and there's a show that can easily be done. But it just has to pitched the right way.

my favorites were Poster Boy, Jin, and when Miri Ben Ari ripped it live over a whole bunch of beats on the violin.

Last edited:
But those music video channels/platforms aren't really irrelevant. they just have to be revamped, or done in a new way
that would make more people want to tune in. There are ways to do it, but you just need a new show. Yo Mtv Raps,
TRL, 106th and Park, and there's a show that can easily be done. But it just has to pitched the right way.

my favorites were Poster Boy, Jin, and when Miri Ben Ari ripped it live over a whole bunch of beats on the violin.

They are dead lol.

They are dead because the eyes have gone from TV to Youtube.

You and I and all those who grew up on these shows loved them
because we weren't living in the fast-paced internet/mobile grid
we live on today.

These kids ain't gonna sit there and watch 106 and Park or any
show like it for 1 hour plus... they'll break away within the first
minute to look at their phones, that's why these shows are closing
down.

Plus the countdown can't keep up with the internet... what's hot
now is old-school tomorrow lol.

They are dead lol.

They are dead because the eyes have gone from TV to Youtube.

You and I and all those who grew up on these shows loved them
because we weren't living in the fast-paced internet/mobile grid
we live on today.

These kids ain't gonna sit there and watch 106 and Park or any
show like it for 1 hour plus... they'll break away within the first
minute to look at their phones, that's why these shows are closing
down.

Plus the countdown can't keep up with the internet... what's hot
now is old-school tomorrow lol.

Man, you ain't never lied.

It is hard for me to watch a TV show without having my laptop in front of me or using my phone. I can barely watch a full 4 minute YouTube video. I usually just listen to a song over and over while reading other sites or making posts on other sites. And on top of that, I'll be shooting off texts or tweets while doing all of that. I be making beats slow now. Too many distractions. That's not even counting people talking to you while you are doing something.

Music videos are dead, bruh.

Last edited:
Damn we in the most weird era right now. Something abstract as the internet, basicly an artificial world is destroying the real one.

The real question is, would programs and shows like this surive in this day an age if there hadn't been internet? Or is it the content of these shows that just aren't interesting anymore and not streaming/cloud services??

that is a trip though. a video today is considered old school tomorrow. but there is still a good lane for a show that hasn't really been put out there like that, that could get people to tune in.
who ever produces it would just have to find a way to make it interactive where you're forced to watch the show, and the internet stuff too*. where they kind of interact somehow,
it'd have to be super live so people would be more willing to tune in.

Last edited:
It's weird that 106 & Park came out when I was just entering the Army in September 2000. I never really had time to get into it. I remember Free and AJ; they were cool. But i was turned off by all the B2k and Bow Wow and the rest of the acts that they showing. It seemed more geared towards a younger audience.

I'm not sure if a similar show could survive right now because their audience is probably more focused on worldstar and youtube. But what about those of us that are a lil older? I don't go to youtube or worldstar to watch music videos. I basically have only seen maybe a handful of music videos this year, and it was only by accident, and I'm on my computer all day. What would be cool is if they brought a more mature video show that didn't even have an audience, just the host and his/her guest; sort of like what Donny Simpson had with Video Soul or like what VH1 does in the AM. Because we already see that the youth are all over the place, you can never predict them. I don't know, but I just can't see BET without a music video show, they have to figure something out. I think the video shows failed when they started with the teen audiences. It basically cancelled out the more mature audiences and the music they listen to.

On a side note, I heard that TRL is coming back, but it's probably gonna be like it use to be, garbage.

Last edited:
Here's somethin,

Make it like Scratch Magazine. Music production is popular.Call it "Ear to the Streets."

You want to have someone going around to all of the different producers or rappers. And interview them. You want it to be like how Sucka Free countdown was for a minute
But you want to give people a reason to tune in. So you can make it regional where you have the North, West, East and South. So if you were doin one on the west right now, then
you'd have YG and DJ Mustard, or Kendrick Lamar and the TDE crew. And you'd interview them in their element.

Yet the key to it will be making sure it has a live feel to it. You want genuine mess ups and ad-libs because it's better anyway. So you if they're doing a producer you can hit them with the "Rhythm Roulette"
if it's an artist you can make them cypher. But to keep it live you make them pick beats out of a hat, or make em choose a topic from out of a hat. So you still get that Freestyle Friday "live" quality,
but it's amongst the crews.

To keep it to the theme of "ear to the streets" they have to play or spotlight an artist like "unsigned hype" from the region or area. Have a segment where they have to play a few songs, maybe three max, and have viewers
decide who they want to keep on. Play one verse to the hook, or whatever or full song, depending on the time block. Then whoever wins gets to make a track with one of the established producers from that area. And they should film the winner making or vibing in the studio, and post it online. So all the people that have bars and battle Smack DVD get a chance to battle, show their skills

Depending on who's being posted or highlighted, they should show you what their town is like. Where they really rep. What's the best place to eat that ain't a major fast food place? What is that place's best dishes? What's their favorite thing to eat from that place. "If you only have five dollars to spend and you couldn't go to McDonald's..." sort of thing.

The barbershops, where you go to get haircuts? Where do you go to get mixtapes? Where do you go shopping for clothes and kicks at?

What club plays the best music? Are the lounges better? What about dance crews? What type of dancing do folks do where ever you're at?

Who are the baddest girls? Let the watchers vote that out. Post their pictures online, and the winner(s) get put in videos or model for some brand sponsor.

What athletes are from the area? Get everyone involved.

I was mainly talkin about hip hop, but they should do it with all artists. That should be for BET, and then for Pop music they should do something similar on MTV. Where they show all of the "popular" billboard artists.
Maybe they already do this.

However the main idea is that it's scripted but you want it unrehearsed. Allow for spontaneity. Not just shock value. Think "stung" with Method Man and Redman. When they got Ludacris to rap over that absolutely terrible beat.
They had the music execs in on it too, and while that part was scripted, the way Luda still came up with somethin anyway is still dope. Like it was funny that they were supposed to be punkin him, but it showed he skilled he really is. that would be an example of "On the Spot." which is a small segment from "Ear to the Streets."

You show videos, fine women, you do interviews, you show artists at work, good food you have the established, and those getting on, all tuning in to do what? keep their "Ear to the Streets."

Have it on Wednesdays because that's half way through the week. You only have to show it once, make it an hour long with that week's re-run on Saturday or Sunday in case you missed it and don't have Tivo.

please send a nice check (that's a sponsor/advertiser's dream), give me a whole bunch of frequent flier mileage and honorary hood passes. or you could let me be a vj or get put on the payroll.

you can add popular actors and actresses too. if they're from whatever city is being interviewed. post the most popular mixtapes. and have updates with major artist from that area letting us know when they're due for a new project.

exclusives all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
House Nigguh and Culture Vulture Stephen Hill singlehandledy destroyed BET more than any other one individual. He's a loyal puppet that has no connection to the culture or music one iota:

I know these types well. I went to college with a few. They 've never been a fan of the music but all of a sudden have these jobs with so much power and influence. Their decisions are strictly financial. That's why I respect the Rick Rubins of the world;the book smart executives who also appreciated & respected the music itself. I run into these types from time to time. "You're Vice president at Universal Records?, Wow, I thought you only liked Rock and EDM. I didn't know you even liked Rap music. I don't my girlfriend's Dad got me the job"

Last edited:
5 music videos in a day is a lot.

2014 my brotha lol. I couldn't care less about Beyonce or Rick Ross or any other of today's artists, with the exception of a few. These artists just don't get my attention like they use to, not even online. I have to really like the song in order for me to watch video.

I can respect him, he seems to be passionate about music and what his career in music ent. I think it sucks because the internet changed the game. Before the net we didn't get exposed to artists like we do now.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back