R&B Aint Dead! Came Across This Cat Shun Ward.

Terrybwear at gmail is Shun Ward Manager... Hit him up. Shun is looking for great DJs for dance remixes

Sounds like every other R&B singer, just like all the 90's R&B singers that went no where. You are never going to make it trying to sing like every other freaking singer. Dude doesn't sound original at all, his style is generic as all hell. Want to know why Frank Ocean is blowing up? He doesn't sound like everybody else...

It's good to see folks with his talent. This guys is pretty versatile being able to rap and sing. I miss R&B... I like the new stuff don't get me wrong, but man....artist like Luther Vandross, Jodeci, and even further back Blackstreet. Where do they fit in this current climate? I saw the other day that SWV has a new album...I gave it a listen and the girls still have it. You would never know.. cause they just don't get any airplay.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I like Frank Ocean don't get me wrong... he's got his own style and you definitely have to have an appreciation for it. It's sort of like comparing a Mercedes or a BMW. They both are luxury cars, but style wise they are very different. Frank is a rarity... to be honest... let's just put it out there... I can count on 1 hand R & B artists that are getting airplay...

It's good to see folks with his talent. This guys is pretty versatile being able to rap and sing. I miss R&B... I like the new stuff don't get me wrong, but man....artist like Luther Vandross, Jodeci, and even further back Blackstreet. Where do they fit in this current climate? I saw the other day that SWV has a new album...I gave it a listen and the girls still have it. You would never know.. cause they just don't get any airplay.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I like Frank Ocean don't get me wrong... he's got his own style and you definitely have to have an appreciation for it. It's sort of like comparing a Mercedes or a BMW. They both are luxury cars, but style wise they are very different. Frank is a rarity... to be honest... let's just put it out there... I can count on 1 hand R & B artists that are getting airplay...

I completely agree that radio is one of the reasons no one is exposed to new artists, and to GOOD artsits. I want RARE, I want UNIQUE, I want the 1 in 10 million people who are themselves, have their own style, their own rhythm. This guy might have skill and he might be a good rapper and even a good singer, but who cares? There are 10 million of those people, anyone can be trained to sing, anyone can be trained to rap, anyone can dress in nice clothes and get a makeover and have a marketing team. I am looking for that special someone who conveys through their music their soul, I want to hear your soul, I want to hear you, and unfortunately not a lot of people are willing to be that vulnerable in the music world. Frank Ocean coming out and saying his first sexual experience was with a man, and his first love was a man, is the main reason I can feel him in his music, and that is what I am looking for! :P

You can't blame the radio for lack of new artist, they play what the majority want to hear..ie, the Trey Songz, Drakes, and Lil' Waynes. Around here our major local stations has a slot for local talent and voters call in and what not, but after that one moment, most people don't request those artist.

Radio use to promote artists as well as just take requests. At one point all we had was radio... remember and that wasn't that long ago. I spend way more time searching for new artists now on iTunes and talk about painful. The game has changed, but there needs to be a spotlight for new music from all artists and new artists. Now when people release new albums... it's like you never hear about it anywhere, unless your visiting the artists website or some viral craziness happens over the internet from it.

Back