Quick question about gain staging! Fast response will be GREATLY appreciated

M

marcusjt

Hello, I have a quick question about gain staging in the mixdown.

I know these values vary, but that is not the point.

My question is: If someone says that your Kick should sit at -9db, and leads at -15 db, do they then mean that all lead layers COMBINED should be at -15 db?

Same question goes regarding bass, if someone says that the bass is supposed to sit a few db lower than the kick for instance, does that mean that all the basslines combined should sit there, or each individual one?
If I for instance have a sub bass that's LP'd up to about 100 hz, and a couple of layered, crunchier distorted basslines thats HP's at 100-200 hz, should they all add up to the said gain stage for the bass, or does the sub and distorted basses have different gain staging rules, or does each individual bassline track have it's own?

And also, these gain staging guidelines that people give are of course regarding the drop where you will have your track the loudest, right?

Last edited:
Your question has kinda exposed how pointless these types of guidelines are.

The only people that hold to guidelines like this, in any precise sense, are people that make basically the same track over and over from a template. Even then you would have to trial and error to get those guidelines for you personally. There are far too many variables to consider to have simple rules like that. And, like I said, your question shows that you have considered those complexities.

What is true is true for every individual sound, whether bass or lead or pad or anything: "how loud should it be to do whatever it's job is".

The only people that hold to guidelines like this, in any precise sense, are people that make basically the same track over and over from a template. Even then you would have to trial and error to get those guidelines for you personally. There are far too many variables to consider to have simple rules like that. And, like I said, your question shows that you have considered those complexities.

What is true is true for every individual sound, whether bass or lead or pad or anything: "how loud should it be to do whatever it's job is".

This.

It totally depends on the types of samples you're using, how loud they are, the frequencies of the sounds, song feel you're going for, genre, etc.

There isn't an exact formula for proper gain staging. Anyone who tells you there is either makes one type of music using the same samples over and over or doesn't know what they're talking about.

As for the EQing on the kick, again that depends, but it might help to sidechain with the bass so you don't get clipping or muddiness when the kick and bass play at the same time.

For the overall mix I'd try to keep it below about -4 DB before adding anything on the Master channel so you have headroom to play with

Last edited:

This.

I think you guys have kind of misinterpreted my question slightly. Like I clearly stated, I know that these values vary. I usually mix by ear, and I never let my tracks clip, also no need to tell me about sidechain etc. I was merely thinking about giving my next track an even more surgical approach to the mixdown, and I wanted to start out by setting some values for the different things and see how it sounded. I never said anything about wanting to be as precise as on the exact db like it seems you think, I would treat this different in different tracks and fine-tune it by ear etc. The question was when these guidelines are actually GIVEN, do they mean that the basses together for instance should be treated as one?

However if you guys find it pointless to do gain-staging this way I might just do it completely by ear again I guess. My only issue with this is that I feel like something might sound sliiightly wrong to others while it for instance doesn't instantly sound wrong to me. Like, "this snare should have been a tad louder", while it wasn't something I personally noticed. That is why I was kinda after some guidelines regarding how the different instruments should be leveled compared to each other in order to sound just a tiny bit closer to a commercial mix. I do use reference mixes and stuff, but although I can listen to them and see how it looks on a meter or something, I still don't feel like I know exactly how elements should sit in a mix in a certain kind of track.

The track I am currently working on is already turning out to be at least 200% better than anything I've made before, and that is why I feel like I wanted to REALLY take it to the next level to see how good I could really make it sound. But as I stated, if such an approach as this is completely pointless, I might just do it completely by ear and by looking at reference mixes in my analyzer etc.

Thanks a lot for your replies though guys, and thanks in advance for an eventual further reply.

Well it's basically subjective. And varies widely even within genres.

Also the idea of level is not simple. Two otherwise identical sounds with different attack/decay times may well need to be at different levels to sound the same and will impact the mix differently. So what might sound like consistency between records is more like consistent perceived level not actual gain. It's more the case that mixes are based on an order of importance (EDM places kick and bass high for example) so the snare would have a place in that order. But I mean, it depends, a really bright snare with a prominent transient will have high perceived loudness. And then it might stick out if there aren't other bright sounds to go with it.

Plus, what if you make a track in which the snare drum, for some reason, just makes the drum section? You'd make it a high priority sound, right?

I think you can, as an individual, arrive at rough guideline levels for you to work against. For example, aim for kicks to peak at whatever, for pads to average at whatever. But I think you may well deviate from that at the mix stage.

I think you guys have kind of misinterpreted my question slightly. Like I clearly stated, I know that these values vary. I usually mix by ear, and I never let my tracks clip, also no need to tell me about sidechain etc. I was merely thinking about giving my next track an even more surgical approach to the mixdown, and I wanted to start out by setting some values for the different things and see how it sounded. I never said anything about wanting to be as precise as on the exact db like it seems you think, I would treat this different in different tracks and fine-tune it by ear etc. The question was when these guidelines are actually GIVEN, do they mean that the basses together for instance should be treated as one?

However if you guys find it pointless to do gain-staging this way I might just do it completely by ear again I guess. My only issue with this is that I feel like something might sound sliiightly wrong to others while it for instance doesn't instantly sound wrong to me. Like, "this snare should have been a tad louder", while it wasn't something I personally noticed. That is why I was kinda after some guidelines regarding how the different instruments should be leveled compared to each other in order to sound just a tiny bit closer to a commercial mix. I do use reference mixes and stuff, but although I can listen to them and see how it looks on a meter or something, I still don't feel like I know exactly how elements should sit in a mix in a certain kind of track.

The track I am currently working on is already turning out to be at least 200% better than anything I've made before, and that is why I feel like I wanted to REALLY take it to the next level to see how good I could really make it sound. But as I stated, if such an approach as this is completely pointless, I might just do it completely by ear and by looking at reference mixes in my analyzer etc.

Thanks a lot for your replies though guys, and thanks in advance for an eventual further reply.

I can understand your way of thinking, but you are missing out on the fact that because every sound source is within a context of other frequencies, it is the sum of the sound source in its context that is what is being perceived by the brain. This is why in order to get a great sounding mix you need to be able to also know how to pull together the frequencies for each sound source among all of the frequencies that are available in the mix. Every mix is unique and because you need to pull together the perception of all sound sources inside of a specific context, you cannot lock yourself to certain fixed loudness levels on certain sound sources as if they are totally context independent. Instead I think you should learn how to build up the perception of individual sound sources in the mix by taking advantage of frequencies present in the mix. I am not talking side chain, I am more talking simple volume, pan and EQ moves.

An example would be the high frequencies of the kick drum. If you reduce the volume of the kick drum so that its high frequencies get buried in the mix, the perception of the mix quality as a whole suddenly might become lower, although the kick drum itself might be at a better volume level when it has been reduced in level. A simple volume increase on some guitars in the mix (with a high frequency boost when necessary) that hit at the same time as the kick, can effectively bridge that gap, so now it is as if the kick drum has the same amount of punch that it had previously, however at a lower signal level and now the mix feels as full as it sounded earlier but with a softer kick drum. This is because the brain cannot separate between the two sound sources, it thinks the high end frequencies are from the kick drum when in fact they are from the electric guitars.

So when you are mixing, you need to be aware of roughly what frequencies are being generated by which sound source on what hits. In this way you can effectively pull together the kind of perception you want in the context of the frequencies instead of doing more rough processing moves. But this also highlights how important a great arrangement is for a great final sound, it will give you access to pulling together specific perceptions of various sound sources so that you do not have to create the sounds artificially with heavy processing. The better the arrangement, the more options you have for pulling together the right perception of each sound source in the mix.

This is a very important thing, because when you have frequencies that overlap without adding much to the perception of the sound sources, all you get is nasty frequency build ups at various parts of the frequency range. I am sure you have heard mixes that have a harsh high end. This is part of why, the high frequencies overlap so that you need to control the frequencies with EQs and comps. It is a lot better to remove the overlap earlier in the process.

I like the CLA style EQing for the bulk of my EQing moves, just use the channel strip EQ knobs on the individual track faders. But I use these to reduce overlaps and to pull together the desired perception of each sound source from the context. It tends to thin/even out the frequencies of the mix so that the mix turns a bit more delicate and smooth sounding. But when you are able to achieve a lot less frequency overlaps with just simple volume, EQ and pan moves, the rest of the work becomes so much easier too. A great snare sound for instance might not have that much high frequencies by itself, all of those higher frequencies giving it the perception of the "snap" might come from a number of other sound sources that hit at the same time, adding to the perception of the snare. And the tail of the snare might many times be composed out of reverbs on other sound sources too to thicken the perception of the snare reverb tail, the brain thinks all of it comes from the snare. Many mixes out there have gun shot snares because its high frequencies are heavily overlapping with the other high frequencies in the mix.

Of course great monitoring will help tremendously when you do all of this stuff.

Last edited:
You asked if these guidelines refer to groups or individual things.

I think they would refer to groups that inhabit a specific frequency range / purpose in the mix. Say you have two bass lines and you decide to have bass at 4dB below the kick, that probably means the bass group. There doesn't seem much point to have that rule apply to one bass sound and not the other. But then one bass might, itself, be 3 dB below the other bass too, so that rule could refer to the loudest bass part? Or the group (which would give very slightly different results)?

It's hard to interpret these rules because once you unpack them you kinda lose the point of a simple rule. I suppose you have to ask why have bass at a specific level below the kick? Well, probably, to give the kick headroom over the bass sounds. That being the case then you would want headroom over all bass sounds, not just the star bass part... but then if the star bass part is the star bass part it is probably the loudest bass part anyway so having headroom over it means you have headroom over every other bass part.

What if this rule gives you the proper level for the bass, which is great for the kick-bass relationship, but then you have to boost the bass part to make it work with other elements? So you violate your rule, sacrifice the headroom between the kick and bass, but gain some other preferred improvement in return and for that track it works. Or what if your track is a huge subby bass part with a very transient snappy kick? Then your kick might actually be lower than the bass level and work fine. Or if the kick and bass literally never coincide then the rule is irrelevant and you might break it to make other things sound better.

Last edited:
Thanks again for taking the time to write these replies guys, I greatly appreciate it, as it really does help me a lot!

I wanted to ask you if you could take a quick listen to this private upload of a DRAFT of the track I am currently working on, to give your comments on what needs to be done with the mix. Keep in mind, I have not yet reached the mixdown stage in my process (just been kind of '"mixing on the go" so far), as I have a couple of other things I want to sort out first. This is why I already now want to ask for some advice so I can be better prepared for that stage, which I hopefully plan on reaching within the next few days.

Here is the private link: https://soundcloud.com/marcusjt/id10/s-6H8gz

Thanks again for taking the time to write these replies guys, I greatly appreciate it, as it really does help me a lot!

I wanted to ask you if you could take a quick listen to this private upload of a DRAFT of the track I am currently working on, to give your comments on what needs to be done with the mix. Keep in mind, I have not yet reached the mixdown stage in my process (just been kind of '"mixing on the go" so far), as I have a couple of other things I want to sort out first. This is why I already now want to ask for some advice so I can be better prepared for that stage, which I hopefully plan on reaching within the next few days.

Here is the private link: https://soundcloud.com/marcusjt/id10/s-6H8gz

There are a number of things you can look at. The transients are a bit numb, you have the threshold or limiter ceiling a bit tight. I lack some sweet chords in the chord progressions, some IV major steps I find would be nice. The side chaining is a bit too wet for my taste, but it kind of works. The mix and master is nice, it is fine in many ways. The stereo image is a bit + like partly due to the pumping from the comps, I would like it a bit more round, with a larger perimeter, gain staging can be improved, also it could be enclosed a bit more, meaning try to lower the gain of the noisy frequencies and control the 200 Hz and 4 kHz range a bit more. Once you have done so it might also be worth checking out the 300 Hz area, maybe you could lower it a little for even more silence. When you do these moves check that the noise level is reduced on the side component, but don't overdo these moves. You are now approaching the kind of quality when it becomes more about the music and less about the audio. BTW. nice automation moves! Well done! :cool:

I am not sure if you know what it means to "enclose" a mix, to wrap the mix in silence. It is a vacuum type of vibe you go for when you enclose the mix, you focus on silencing the mix without losing vitality and perceived loudness. Typically in a rock mix it might not be enclosed enough due to the drum overhead and room tracks being too loud in the mix. Other causes tend to be too much frequency overlaps, causing loud resonances on specific frequencies especially on the side component. When I enclose the mix I usually start by adding temporary effects to the mix, one of these could be for instance a low quality reverb on the mix bus with a rather long reverb tail. Then I carve out air and reduce the noisy tracks in gain. Then I remove frequency overlaps with the volume faders and EQs. Then I monitor the side component and do the above silencing steps that I mentioned at the top of this post. I might also remove some instances where I have stacked effects or fxs in parallel, because sometimes it might be enclosed but too tight due to compression. Sometimes it might not be enough enclosed due to too little side chain compression. Other things I do is to gate stuff, I mean at times even the reverb tail which might appear damaging but not when you do it properly. Once I cannot make it any more silent in stereo, then I remove the temporary effects. At that point it is super silent and well enclosed. At that point I might try a Bricasti on it, because the combo of having the mix well enclosed and with a high quality reverb shining through can be very sweet. I work very hard with this particular type of mix/master quality because it is what is needed for a pro sounding mix. That is why I tend to like to add reverbs rather late in the overall music creation process, because the more enclosed the mix is, the better the quality of the reverb application becomes because it becomes easier to dial it in. BTW. this is another area where you can really improve the quality of a mix a lot in conjunction with great monitoring. It is the monitoring quality that makes these pro techniques shine.

Last edited:
I'm always a bit hesitant to give advice on other people's music directly because it's subjective and I don't know your intentions, but since you asked nicely...

Just a couple of stylistic things... many of the sound are much more smooth than I usually hear in that style of music. For example the claps were fine in tone but lacked a transient snap. I think if you got more transients in there you'd get a more lively texture and much clearer mix. So your long reverb fx clap.. that sound with a sharp momentary snap at the start is much more dramatic.

If you're using a sample of a clap you could drop the sustain level by a few dB and add a quick decay, then gain the whole thing by the same dB. Or you could use a transient shaper/compressor if you're using loops. Or tweak compressors to let more transients through. Try slower attack, faster release.

The other thing is that when the kick arrives it has such a massive effect on the sidechaining that the track, overall, sounds dark. The kick itself lacks a bright transient (rather it has a rezzy oomph) so when it pushes everything else out of the way it also darkens the mix. Not sure how best for you to get round that. Maybe, again, if the kick had that bright transient at the start it would fill the dark hole it's creating. Now that I think about it that style of music often uses kicks with prominent bright transients, almost like snares mixed with kicks.

Aggressive side chaining is bold, and there's nothing wrong with it, but I get the impression you are sending everything through 1 sidechained channel. You could try using lots of individually set sidechains... that is give everything it's own side chained compressor, so you can get each thing working individually and have more control. You also get a more involved sound. For example you can sidechain washy sounds, like reverb, more aggressively than say arpeggios. If you want you could use a single sidechain during production, saving CPU, then disable it when you render out your stems and add individual sidechains during the mixdown.

Last edited:
There are a number of things you can look at. The transients are a bit numb, you have the threshold or limiter ceiling a bit tight. I lack some sweet chords in the chord progressions, some IV major steps I find would be nice. The side chaining is a bit too wet for my taste, but it kind of works. The mix and master is nice, it is fine in many ways. The stereo image is a bit + like partly due to the pumping from the comps, I would like it a bit more round, with a larger perimeter, gain staging can be improved. You are now approaching the kind of quality when it becomes more about the music and less about the audio. Well done! :cool:

Thank you DarkRed, this feedback is GOLD! It is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I am looking for. Will definitely look into what I can do about these things. I have already thought about slightly pulling back the mix of the sidechain on the leads, so I might do that indeed. As for the limiter, it is just something I threw on in a hurry just in purpose of posting this draft online, the track is not yet mastered at all. Do you reckon I should push it a bit less on the limiter? I really wouldn't want my track too quiet. I know there are certain things I can do in my mix for some more loudness though, I was planning on going through and surgically EQing out some slightly harsh frequencies here and there.

And yes, I was struggling a bit to make a "fitting" chord progression in this track, considering that I started out with my melody here and not the chords. In regards to your suggestion: I wrote this track in F# minor, would you use the IV major chord still (is mode mixing what this is called?)? Or did I misunderstand?

Also I would really love if you could ellaborate slightly on the stereo image part, in terms of what I can do to improve that.

And yeah about the gain staging, I haven't really reached the point where I fine-tune that yet, but after all that was what my thread was initially about, I feel like this isn't my strongest point considering that I jsut do it so that it sounds good to my ears personally. So if you have suggestions for what I can turn down or up I would love that too.

And again: THANK YOU!!

I'm always a bit hesitant to give advice on other people's music directly because it's subjective and I don't know your intentions, but since you asked nicely...

Just a couple of stylistic things... many of the sound are much more smooth than I usually hear in that style of music. For example the claps were fine in tone but lacked a transient snap. I think if you got more transients in there you'd get a more lively texture and much clearer mix. So your long reverb fx clap.. that sound with a sharp momentary snap at the start is much more dramatic.

If you're using a sample of a clap you could drop the sustain level by a few dB and add a quick decay, then gain the whole thing by the same dB. Or you could use a transient shaper/compressor if you're using loops. Or tweak compressors to let more transients through. Try slower attack, faster release.

The other thing is that when the kick arrives it has such a massive effect on the sidechaining that the track, overall, sounds dark. The kick itself lacks a bright transient (rather it has a rezzy oomph) so when it pushes everything else out of the way it also darkens the mix. Not sure how best for you to get round that. Maybe, again, if the kick had that bright transient at the start it would fill the dark hole it's creating. Now that I think about it that style of music often uses kicks with prominent bright transients, almost like snares mixed with kicks.

Aggressive side chaining is bold, and there's nothing wrong with it, but I get the impression you are sending everything through 1 sidechained channel. You could try using lots of individually set sidechains... that is give everything it's own side chained compressor, so you can get each thing working individually and have more control. You also get a more involved sound. For example you can sidechain washy sounds, like reverb, more aggressively than say arpeggios. If you want you could use a single sidechain curing production, saving CPU, then disable it when you render out your stems and add individual sidechains during the mixdown.

Thank you a lot for your reply as well! In terms of the transient in the kick, I could probably just boost it a bit around 5k or something to get it more snapp yI suppose, and I did indeed toy around with this earlier, but it started sounding slightly too harsh to my ears at some point, which might have been because of the headphones I produced on or something.

In terms of the sidechain, as mentioned earlier, I will probably pull it back. And no I did not send EVERYHTING through the same side-chain, I have separate ones for my basslines and the leads. But I will probably pull it back a bit for my leads.

And in terms of the snap in the claps and stuff, I really haven't gotten to the point where I fine-tune these thigns yet, there are no saturation on them etc, and they ahve not been given additive EQ either. I might even change out a couple of samples in this track. Also, good suggestion using a kind of enveloper for the transient hit, I will play around with that for sure.

Thank you!

In that style of music the kick often has, literally, a burst of white noise at the start that covers every frequency at once. The kick you have at the moment sounds like it might not have anything to boost in the higher range. You also have the issue that you are using a type of kick that gets it's sound from having a slow frequency drop, that's how you get the 'ooomph' rather than kicks that sound like 'thunk' or 'boop'. The side effect of the is that it is a very gradual sound, it's attack is quite spread out and it's quite round. Those sounds are hard to balance exactly because they lack that defined transient*.

If you lessen the sidechain, though, you might be able to balance things and not get that darkening effect. Also more transients will make things sound perceptually brighter.

*there's a track that springs to mind: Seven Cities by Solar Stone, specifically the mix by V-One, had this type of kick.

DarkRed, a little update, I added a major IV chord(like you suggested) instead of the random shitty chord I had, and MAN does it sound better now! Have'nt been experimenting so much with "mode-mixing" before now, but it really worked here. This input that I have been getting from you guys is literally a goldmine to me. So valuable, thanks a lot!

DarkRed, a little update, I added a major IV chord(like you suggested) instead of the random shitty chord I had, and MAN does it sound better now! Have'nt been experimenting so much with "mode-mixing" before now, but it really worked here. This input that I have been getting from you guys is literally a goldmine to me. So valuable, thanks a lot!

That's awesome to hear, well done! :cool:

Thank you DarkRed, this feedback is GOLD! It is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I am looking for. Will definitely look into what I can do about these things. I have already thought about slightly pulling back the mix of the sidechain on the leads, so I might do that indeed. As for the limiter, it is just something I threw on in a hurry just in purpose of posting this draft online, the track is not yet mastered at all. Do you reckon I should push it a bit less on the limiter? I really wouldn't want my track too quiet. I know there are certain things I can do in my mix for some more loudness though, I was planning on going through and surgically EQing out some slightly harsh frequencies here and there.

And yes, I was struggling a bit to make a "fitting" chord progression in this track, considering that I started out with my melody here and not the chords. In regards to your suggestion: I wrote this track in F# minor, would you use the IV major chord still (is mode mixing what this is called?)? Or did I misunderstand?

Also I would really love if you could ellaborate slightly on the stereo image part, in terms of what I can do to improve that.

And yeah about the gain staging, I haven't really reached the point where I fine-tune that yet, but after all that was what my thread was initially about, I feel like this isn't my strongest point considering that I jsut do it so that it sounds good to my ears personally. So if you have suggestions for what I can turn down or up I would love that too.

And again: THANK YOU!!

I'm here to help, so I am delighted to hear I am able to provide some guidance.

When there are numb transients in the mix like a constant layer on the mix, it is typically due to a brickwall peak limiter that very quickly and aggressively attenuates the signal very frequently on the content, meaning the content is pretty dynamic at the current loudness level so it has a lot of peaks to brickwall peak limit. The solution is in this case not to lower the input signal to the limiter, because although that makes the limiter act less on the content and hence the numbness decreases, you now also introduce a gain staging issue. So that is a scenario of losing more than you gain.

The solution is to lower the peak to rms level of the input to the brickwall peak limiter, basically feeding it a thicker waveform and hence have it work less hard. This you can do by compressing the elements of the mix in the earlier stages more, meaning not by using a high ratio and fast attack, but rather allowing the content of the mix to "breathe" dynamically by having the ratio lower, the knee softer and the attack time longer. Once you hit the brickwall peak limiter with a thick signal that breathes dynamically, then the brickwall peak limiter can also act on the content in a less numbing way because you don't have to push it as hard to reach your goal.

Keep in mind that how you in a good way achieve this thick waveform I am talking about is actually going back all the way to recording, because it is much better to remove the dynamic issues during recording than having to deal with them later on. And in a pro situation you should not accept that kind of a recording to mix, especially if it is the vocals that are like that, it should go straight back to recording. But if for whatever reason that is not an option and you have the kind of content that is very demanding to thicken, meaning all mix elements jump in levels a lot, then it becomes incredibly important to resolve those issues in the first compression stage, meaning when you deal with the dynamics of the individual sound sources early on in the mixing process. Many approaches work, some better than others. You can for instance prepare for peak compression in this case by first compressing the signal in rms mode to stabilize the overall rms level, alternatively volume ride the signal, or use a volume rider fx. Then once the overall rms level is not jumping like crazy you can take care of the peaks using a compressor with certain dynamic characteristics that can handle those situations well, for instance an 1176 or a distressor, works great for instance on vocals and drums. So it is important to be aware that in order to be able to achieve a good thick signal to feed the brickwall peak limiter you sometimes need to work in two dimensions with the dynamic signal stabilization, both rms and peak, because else the compressors might attack certain parts of the input signal too much, you need to spread out when it acts on the content so that you can stay more gentle with the peaks and be able to apply more compression in total in these cases. And this is the case with all compression you apply, not only during the first stage of compression, although that is where it is needed the most. Naturally by spreading out the compression into stages, parallel processing etc. you are automatically making the compressors act on the content more evenly over time so that you can bring down the peak to rms and still have good perceived dynamics left.

When it comes to rounding the stereo image, like taking it from a "+ shape" to an "o shape", this is done similarly to how you deal with frequency overlapping by adjusting volume faders and EQ knobs in between tracks to pull together the right perception of the frequencies of each sound source in the context, similarly when you build the stereo image you work with the volume faders and pan knobs in between tracks to pull together the right perception of each sound source in the stereo field, you want to know what frequencies are played on each hit and what you need to do in terms of timing in order to form what is required to create your desired perceived stereo image, because also the stereo image is the result of a perception, whatever that creates a particular stereo perception is what is of importance. By roughly knowing the fundamental frequencies of each sound source and the fundamental frequencies of the sound sources on each hit, you can design the stereo image accordingly, even on a per song section basis. This is where delay and pre-delayed reverb comes in. If you for instance just have center panned and hard left/right pan positions, you are going to create a "+ shape" stereo image as long as the mix has depth left, when the depth is gone it is going to become a "- shape" stereo image. By introducing 50%L/50%R pan positions into your mix you are by default moving towards an "o shape" stereo image, but it has to be done in conjunction with the volume faders, because when you lower the volume of the sound source towards 50% of the available voltage, it moves towards its null position in the context, meaning towards the center of the stereo image (in 3D). So for the sound sources that form the "o shape", you need for the 50%L 50%R both a bit louder volumes to establish the perimeter at the back of the ears and a bit softer volume to establish the perimeter just outside of the eyes. You also need the EQs, since you need to position the element in terms of height too, when talking about the "o shape" stereo image in 3D. Then you can balance all of those to shape the desired stereo image more towards the "o shape". You can of course also create other forms of stereo images. When you use headphones and gain increase, the whole stereo image moves towards the center of the head on a specific playback level, so that now you get more and more encapsulated by the music, the perceived circumference of the stereo image increases. This also explains why a "+ shape" stereo image does not work so good on headphones, because many other mixes you listen to with headphones sound bigger and more present in the "o shape" when they are properly gain staged. The gain staging ensures enough information density, with that comes a more clear image of the stereo field. It also helps to separate the sound sources in the sound stage, although the sound stage becomes somewhat unrealistic when you are surrounded by the band. But music that encapsulates the listener, the listeners like. You can of course try to mimic the listener perspective of a live concert by focusing the reflection frequencies towards the up front half of the "o shape" (or the other way around if you want to mimic listening at the front row), but it is not necessarily that kind of perspective you want to create or like the most, but it can be a good way of learning how you can use the stereo image in the 3D context.

In my view the takeaway thing about this though is the height dimension, it is as important as the width of the stereo image. Many mixes out there are great, except the height dimension is totally messed up creating this very strange sounding stereo image, especially on headphones. And remember that you have both the height of the mix and the relative height of the sound sources within the 3D sound stage. This is important because it impacts on such things as gain staging. If you for instance position a hi-hat outside of and close to the ears, you are going to have to reduce the gain on it, this means now it sinks into the back of the mix and helps create a more blurry sounding mix. Be aware of what quiet high frequencies does to the perception of the clearity of a mix - makes it blurry. Now that does not mean you should do hi frequency boosts all of over the mix and on all individual sound sources to heighten it, you still must keep the frequency overlapping at a minimum, you just need to be aware that some sound sources have the information density so concentrated around a specific narrow frequency range, that if it gets blurry there, it's going to put a cost on the mix as a whole. Those sound sources must be able to compete well in their frequency context and enough gain ensures that.

When it comes to gain staging, ensure you maintain good gain staging end-to-end throughout the music creation process, supported by great monitoring. Personally I think it is a bit easier to relax the mix later on rather than pumping it up later on, again some monitoring solutions support that kind of approach, some do not. (because what you do not want is to have it pumped up and then when you listen to that on some other playback system it is like 500% too powerful, that's far from a good gain structure) If you are done with the mix and everything is perfect, except when you A/B your mix is 500% more in the back and inside of the content you have various elements randomly becoming 500% too dynamic on various locations, how can you fix that without having to redo the whole gain structure. It is a work of redoing the mix. So I want to push enough of the work with the dynamics and perceived resolution as early as possible, by creating high enough perceived loudness/resolution early enough. Clipping is not what I focus on, I know how I resolve that, ending up with a mix that is totally dead when I start to master because the gain structure is completely wrong, that is a bigger issue. :o The fundamental frequency of the mix in combination with the integrated LUFS should be roughly optimal when the rough mix is ready, especially in the chorus. That in combination with good gain staging supported by great monitoring is key. Especially when you have a mix with hit potential, it's all about the rough mix.

I hope this helps. :cool:

Last edited:
Hello again! I am familiar from before with the concept of compressing sound before it hits the limiter. It makes a lot of sense to me. However, there was no multiband compression or anything on the master on this draft yet, but I take it that is not really the point/solution here, but rather putting the right compression on individual tracks. I am however not a great judge of what tracks really need compression and not.

I get how the stereo-image is tied with gain staging and such, but in regards to how I should approach improving my gain staging, I feel slightly uncertain, as I initially stated in this thread.

Hello again! I am familiar from before with the concept of compressing sound before it hits the limiter. It makes a lot of sense to me. However, there was no multiband compression or anything on the master on this draft yet, but I take it that is not really the point/solution here, but rather putting the right compression on individual tracks. I am however not a great judge of what tracks really need compression and not.

I get how the stereo-image is tied with gain staging and such, but in regards to how I should approach improving my gain staging, I feel slightly uncertain, as I initially stated in this thread.

In terms of gain staging, what gain staging techniques do you use?

Are you gain staging towards the target fundamental frequency and integrated LUFS as early as during recording and maintain it until the final master is done? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you gain staging towards gain staging EQ filters on the MID and SIDE components respectively? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you during recording gain staging towards a low voltage A/D and/or a monitoring solution that compresses the signal before it hits your ears or against an otherwise poor monitoring context? When so, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you gain staging towards a low voltage D/A and/or a monitoring solution that compresses the signal before it hits your ears or against an otherwise poor monitoring context? When so, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you balancing the mix without being aware of how the perception threshold impacts how the mix changes when you change the playback volume? When so, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you gain staging during the mastering phase without being aware of the input and output voltage levels at the various mastering signal stages and without being aware of the "true" true-peak level? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you repeatedly doing translation checks during the mixing process? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you considering the use of busses in both non-split mode and in split mode within the mix session to achieve certain gain staging qualities? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you validating and tuning the gain stages at all isolation levels? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you validating the signal levels in stereo, mono, L, R, MID, SIDE as early as during recording and keep checking that until the final master is done? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you validating the gain levels of the various frequency bands of the final master to ensure they all stay within reasonable signal levels relative to the fundamental frequency and the integrated LUFS target and when not gain optimize? When not, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Are you not A/B reference checking specifically the gain staging quality and only reference check in more broad/undefined terms, or you do not but A/B gain stage reference check only as late as in mastering? When so, then that might be contributing to a gain staging issue.

Above I have listed a number of things you likely need to go through...

Also, when it comes to gain staging, remember that the information density is concentrated towards the ceiling, since the voltage curvature is cumulative, but that this information density varies depending on what setup you use.

Last edited:
Back