Question on sampling a film

Sk1nZ

Ableton Addict
I really want to make a track with some vocal samples from a well known film just for the fun of it, i dont plan on selling the track. I will however want to share it once im finished, Youtube, soundcloud etc etc with my name on it...

Is this kind of thing ok to do if im not selling it? I cant see it being a problem if its just for the fun of it but need to make sure..

Also do you need permission to make a remix of a existing track from the person who originally made it? I see a lot of remixes about and wondered how that works...

Thanks

most remixes are commissioned or set up as competitions as part of the initial marketing strategy of the release so just jump on those that interest you - try indabamusic.com for more details on remix comps to start

as for your sampling of dialogue from film: as with any use of samples the original creators own the rights and you need to obtain a release to use the material; any other pathway is fraught with legal and financial consequences

ok thanks, do people approach the producers/owner/director of the film themselves? i know who directed it but not sure who id need to contact about using the samples

il check that site out too!

check the movie website; the distributor should know more; otherwise start checking out clearance houses

Back