Question about RAM upgrade for 13in MBP

Lower Fifth

Hey guys, I am thinking about getting a 13in Macbook Pro as my current laptop just died on me. I have just one question. The company I work for gets exclusive deals with apple so there are some pretty nice discounts on the actual laptop and the additional available upgrades. I thought I’d take advantage of this but I’m wondering if its going to be a waste of money. Is it worth the upgrade from 4GB of ram to 8GB or will I not utilize all 8GB of that RAM? The computer will be used for producing (mainly sample based), editing HD video, and editing photos/graphic design. So is the upgrade worth it or should I stick with the 4GB of RAM or take a look at the 15in with the Quad-Core i7?

Thanks in advance!

PS. Screen size does not matter because while at home I will be connecting to a 24in monitor I already have.

Go with the better spec CPU, you can easily upgrade the RAM later if you find you need to. I just went from 4GB to 8GB on my PC and haven't noticed a difference yet but haven't really put it through its paces. Photoshop can really eat up your RAM though as does video editing.

Ditto. 8 Gbs of RAM will cost about fifty bucks anyway...unless you buy them directly from Apple, in which case they cost stupid money.

Heck yeah it's worth it! Modern programs are VERY RAM hungry! I have 8gigs and my performance monitor constantly shows about 83% usage... should have gone 12 gigs... sigh...

Heck yeah it's worth it! Modern programs are VERY RAM hungry! I have 8gigs and my performance monitor constantly shows about 83% usage... should have gone 12 gigs... sigh...

Well, adding RAM isn't gonna magically make your processor run any faster.

Back