Question about my 2000xl

I am struggling with loading new programs after I have done 3 or 4 tracks on one program. I hit shift load then to edit drum but when I replay what I did the beat is the same but it is switching out the sounds. Im using Forats hip hop disk.

Are you using wavs sounds? Where are you saving the tracks to? How are you saving it? What you're saying is not comprehendsable, and need to be explained a little more.

I think they are wav sounds. They came on a zip disk. Basically what is happening is I will load up say program one for example. Ill will make 3 tracks off program one. Then on the screen under where it says what track it is, im using drum 1 off set 1. which I understand. Then Im getting screwed up because I want new sounds, so I will hit shift program then when it says which drum to edit, I will select 1 or 2 then ill load up another set. But, whats happening when I play my tracks back it is playing the same beat but with different sounds from another program. If that makes any sense haha

I think they are wav sounds. They came on a zip disk. Basically what is happening is I will load up say program one for example. Ill will make 3 tracks off program one. Then on the screen under where it says what track it is, im using drum 1 off set 1. which I understand. Then Im getting screwed up because I want new sounds, so I will hit shift program then when it says which drum to edit, I will select 1 or 2 then ill load up another set. But, whats happening when I play my tracks back it is playing the same beat but with different sounds from another program. If that makes any sense haha

My dude I know exactly what you're talking about and you're going about it all wrong.

First of all, STOP MAKING 3 TRACKS WITH ONE PROGRAM IN ONE PLACE!!! lol You are confusing the hell outta yourself. :confused:

Take one track at a time with one program. When you are dealing with one track and with one program deal with that. Now lets say you want a new sound, you don't upload another program. what happens is the other program that you did the track with is gone and the new one appears and it will play the same pattern but now your instruments will be totally different.

Let's say you load up a program and it comes with 5 sounds.

You have 16 pads and those 5 sounds load up on pads, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Now you have 11 pads that are empty. Now lets say you made a track, but you want a new sound, like a tom tom. You can go and load that single tom tom from another program on to pad 6. Then you record that tomtom on pad 6 into your track, and then hit play back and the track will be the same without any changes to the track.

Remember when you load up programs and make a track with them, and you want new sounds, from another program you have to make sure you have empty pads available. Lets say your program take up 16 pads in bank A. lets say you have another program disk with other sounds and you would like to add three of them to the track with the 16 pads that you made a track to. Switch over the Bank B because all 16 pads are empty and load the other 3 sounds in Bank B, start your recording process of the 3 sounds, and stay on Bank B to bang those in. Once those are in hit play and you should hear the same beat plus the new added sounds. then you go back to Bank A. You just gotta make sure when you add there are empty pads that's all.

If you want to load up two programs, the first one will automatically set for Bank A, if you want to set up another one at the same time it will have to be on Bank B. when you record you just go back and forth to each bank to use the sounds in those banks that you want in your track. Never try to put a program in Bank A where there is already a program or it will delete the first one you put there.

Have you read your manual?

Program=the sounds loaded to your pads.
Sequence=the sequence triggering the sounds/the pattern.

You can use four programs simultaneously, but you can use only one program per track. When you load a new program, you can select to add it to the existing programs or replacing the previous programs. And even if you add it to the existing, I think it takes the drum spot you are currently using in your sequence.

So if you dont want the sounds to change, you will need to Program and select Drum 1 (you are probably using that) and scroll the program with data wheel to the one you were using. Then load the new program to Drum 2 the same way.

To play a sequence with the program in Drum 2, go to Main Screen, choose a track (Tr) with data wheel and then assign the program to it (S:DRUM2) with data wheel again.

Edit: The smiley is : D

Last edited:
So, does drum 1,2,3, and signify the 4 pad banks. the disk I ordered has 40 sets, which is 40 programs. And, basically if I load up set 1. A,B,C and D are all basically completely filled. So, I have been loading up set 1, Make a few few tracks. Kick, snare hi hat. Then Ive been wanting to get other sounds and I keep getting screwed up. Do you think I should load up a few programs then put in a blank disc. This is main thing I am having trouble with navigating on this machine. The disk of sounds I got has 1900 samples on it. So, I have so much to choose from. I was think I should break it all down into different disks. I dont know though haha?

So, does drum 1,2,3, and signify the 4 pad banks. the disk I ordered has 40 sets, which is 40 programs. And, basically if I load up set 1. A,B,C and D are all basically completely filled. So, I have been loading up set 1, Make a few few tracks. Kick, snare hi hat. Then Ive been wanting to get other sounds and I keep getting screwed up. Do you think I should load up a few programs then put in a blank disc. This is main thing I am having trouble with navigating on this machine. The disk of sounds I got has 1900 samples on it. So, I have so much to choose from. I was think I should break it all down into different disks. I dont know though haha?

I was trying to help you, you need to listen to the instructions. You are a beginner from what I see, I was not trying to have you open 4 programs at one time, you are confused on this, so I was trying to get you to open one until you understand what you were doing. You don't start off with steps 1,2,3,4, you start off with the first step and work your way up. It's already difficult to show you over the net. Just try opening up one program on drum 1 for now, you can do all that other stuff down the line and follow the instructions I gave you. :cheers:

Dude you gotta read your manual.
Drum 1, 2, 3 & 4 are the 4 programs you can use simultaneously, not the banks (press shift+6 (program) to see them). You can load more than 4 programs to the memory, but can assign 4 of them to use.

I personally only load sounds for one beat at a time. I use MPC Editor to create my drum programs on my computer. It's faster to go through drums with it than by browsing disks on mpc http://www.midicase.com/mpceditor/

I usually have one program for the drums, one for bass with chromatic assign as xl's 16 levels isn't as good as on the classic and one program with the sample chops.

When I'm done with the beat, I remove the sounds that I haven't used from the programs and purge memory to save space on disks. Then I save them and load new ones (and erase the previous ones or simply boot the machine before starting another one).

If you have the scsi drive and feel that it's hard to find the sounds you want from those packs, go through the samples on a computer, select the ones you like and put them on another disc. That's a lot of sounds to go through after all.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your help. I think Im just gonna load samples up one beat at a time and assign thoses and work with those. I think that would be an easier option. I did read your directions, this stuff is tough to do over a blog.

Thanks guys for your help. I think Im just gonna load samples up one beat at a time and assign thoses and work with those. I think that would be an easier option. I did read your directions, this stuff is tough to do over a blog.

Yep do one thing at a time, yes it is hard to do over the internet. Once you get it, you're going to be like " dang this is so freakin easy it's pathetic". You're just thinking to hard. when I use to do the program disk I use to just upload the sounds I wanted from the Program and not the whole program. I would listen to them first then decide to put it on a pad, once I got all the sounds from that program, I started rockin, and made the track from there. Make sure you put each sound on a different track.

Back