Question about Maschine's sound

swift_eklipz

Ballin' Beatsmith
I started off with software, then moved to hardware, and now I'm integrating both.

The problem I had with software alone was that the drums sounded ridiculously weak, especially in comparison to an MPC. I would put the same drum sample on FL Studio and program a loop, and record it. The I would do the same exact on my MPC, then export it to my computer.
The difference was colossal. The MPC shredded FL Studio's weak drums.

Is the Maschine showing any new potential?
I'm actually considering getting it, but I don't want to be left with weak drums again.

u can layer drums with maschine, it also has an sp 1200 and mpc60 emulator u can use. it seems like with maschine u get whatever sound u put into it, so get some mpc drums somewhere and use it with maschine and they will hit hard.

im not tryna go on a tangent........but i find alot of producers use REASON as sort of a "software groove box" then they rewire into there daw........it'll definitly get you that mpc vibe your looking for.

i cant speak on maschine........i want one too!

Last edited:
there are maschine videos all over youtube, even No ID, Needlz & Dawaun Parker are on it. That's not the reason you should get it but it does show that NI is doing something right

Buying Maschine will not fix the weak drums issue that you have. There are many people that would say Maschine's engine sounds great and the internal drum sounds are top notch. Please keep in mind Maschine is not a mixing environment, its just a groove box. You still need to use some proper recording and engineering techniques in order to get your sound to be punchy and warm like you want. Picking the right combination of sounds is also key. Maschine is a great product but it wont make you better and producing music. Given the price of Maschine, find one used to purchase and learn it. If you give up after a couple of months....you havent learned it, it takes time. Everything has a sweet spot and you must take the time to learn it for Maschine.

If your drums are weak then you need to work on layering your drums and EQ'ing. I layer my drums heavy sometimes til I get the knock that I want.

Like Focused said, Maschine will not magically solve your weak drums issue. I have one and I love the drum sounds, but I still export at least 80% of them into Cubase for proper EQ'ing and mixing. I have 4-5 specific kits that I just love from the Maschine factory sound bank but through EQ'ing and mixing I can make them sound completely different from song to song. Once you find the framework you like then you have to go back and tailor your drums (and all other sounds) to make sure they match the context of your song :) Good luck and happy music making!

Back