Question about if it makes a difference? Arrangement Ableton

DJMSherman

Rookie Audio Producer
Ok, in Arrangement view I have a drum loop that is let's say 8 bar long. It includes hats, shakers, open hats, toms, and other crap.....anyway, let's say I do want to hear here the shaker for let's say 1 bar.

Is it better to turn the shaker device off, or just duplicate the bar, and just delete all shakers from that bar? Does it make a difference or not.....I don't think it will, but if you have a groove applied....will it

Doesn't really matter unless you feel like it's impeding the workflow.
Addin stuff, removin stuff etc making more patterns automating stuff

I'd duplicate it and delete the shakers, it's super easy and that way you won't have to keep automating things you don't need to. Shouldn't affect the groove at all...

Duplicating the pattern is what most would do I think. It would give you an extra clip, which you can use elsewhere.

...but there is a flaw in the workflow, which is that you have more, seperate clips. Say you have two drum clips that are the same but one lacks the snare, but otherwise they're the same pattern. If you want to change that pattern you'd have to change both clips.

If you automate the mute of the snare you can have 1 clip throughout.

This is really a general flaw in Live: variation implies more clips. So if you want a variation in your kick pattern you create another clip (and probably create a third clip in the process i.e. the clip after the variation).

i think its easier to edit and mix if they are all in different channels or tracks, but I am a fruity loops studio user.

90% the time I just duplicate the clips & make the changes. Usually at that point the "core" clips don't change that much, and if they do it's usually not *that* much trouble to copy/paste the changes elsewhere. Of course it's possible to simply automate the device's on/off status or their levels, as suggested.

As for the groove - no, adding or removing stuff won't change how it works (which actually is simply moving notes at certain points, like every other 1/16th forward or backward to create the shuffle). There isn't some magical algorithmical relation with different instruments that'd be affected.

Last edited:
A tweak that would go a long way towards helping with this would be if Ableton supported multiple instances of the same midi data.

So a clip would have it's own start-end-loop markers but the underlying midi data would be shared with other clips. That would get around the 'segmentation of clips in to many clips' issue. Other DAWs do this.

...just another tiny feature that would be great and help Ableton catch up, but hey, I suppose it's much more important for hipsters to be able to flip the polarity of a kick drum from push 2 than to have actual new DAW features...

Back