propellerheads are soon gonna announce something new/ The Reason 5 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

again IF the next new update is MIDI out i will feel the same way about it as blocks. while it's a valuable tool NO DOUBT and will prove essential for some people no way should it be one of the 5 big updates.

stuff like blocks and MIDI out should be just in additional features.

I completely agree, like I said, they are good improvements for reason, but personally I would rather see stuff like new FX, devices, samplers or even a new library for those unveilings. Hopefully the remaining three will be at least some of what I just listed.

I only use the modules in Reason. I don't use the sequencer. I sequence in Live. If I worked exclusively in Reason, then I would be excited about Blocks and Dr. OctoRex, but as it stands, neither of those brings anything at all to the table for me. I felt the same way about Record which is the reason that I never grabbed it.
i dont think the rewire crowd is their target audience anymore. They understand now that in some ways using another program can be easier than their way and making people rewire will only show them that lol

kb420 not to confuse this thread moreso but i think you raised a very good point over at the props forum. you said that workflow improvements are a bigger deal in an open system but with reason/record being a closed environment there should be more of an emphasis on new devices as users do not have access to third party ones.

i'm not a LIVE user but have used flstudio quite a bit in the past. i also currently use renoise for a lot of my production work which has recently added a pattern matrix for arranging songs.

i'm wondering how does this new blocks feature compare, if at all, to session view in live?

In my opinion, it doesn't compare at all. Session View is a lot more flexible. You can mix and match clips from different song sections on the fly and still have it all recorded in the Arrangement. If you are use to sequencing in a linear sequencer then I will admit that it take time getting use to it, but once you do, and you master the Arrangement View too, you will wonder how you ever composed in any other sequencer. To me, this new Blocks feature is just a little more than a fancy tab feature. For the best in pattern based non linear workflow, nothing compares to Live's Session View.

(I guess I shouldn't really say that because I know nothing of FL's sequencer. I'm basing that on the sequencers that I do know a little about.)

yo looking at blocks and thinking more about it i wonder if props are trying to take back customers who went to LIVE or flstudio...
hmmm maybe I didn't think of it that way. I think they are trying to snag the last few guys out there that still want/own any piece of music hardware.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

In my opinion, it doesn't compare at all. Session View is a lot more flexible. You can mix and match clips from different song sections on the fly and still have it all recorded in the Arrangement. If you are use to sequencing in a linear sequencer then I will admit that it take time getting use to it, but once you do, and you master the Arrangement View too, you will wonder how you ever composed in any other sequencer. To me, this new Blocks feature is just a little more than a fancy tab feature. For the best in pattern based non linear workflow, nothing compares to Live's Session View.

(I guess I shouldn't really say that because I know nothing of FL's sequencer. I'm basing that on the sequencers that I do know a little about.)
theres a lot of truth in that but I love Reason lol. With live one thing I really dislike is there is still a lot of mouse use and theres no real way around that because u have to assign everything one benefit to reason is that the controller gets mapped to every module when u change modules. Live is a cpu hog too. Reason is so light its crazy. I think both programs are great and do good jobs at what they do.

theres a lot of truth in that but I love Reason lol. With live one thing I really dislike is there is still a lot of mouse use and theres no real way around that because u have to assign everything one benefit to reason is that the controller gets mapped to every module when u change modules. Live is a cpu hog too. Reason is so light its crazy. I think both programs are great and do good jobs at what they do.

I've eliminated a lot of mouse use by learning keyboard shortcuts and buying an APC 40. I also have a Remote 37 SL which uses Automap. I agree that Live is heavier on the cpu than Reason, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that Reason's synths and devices don't have anti aliasing, but that's an entirely different argument.

I love the new features doesn't dissapoint me because of alot of the features are workflow related so far, all i need is midi out... .lol c'mon midi out.

from what i understand they take most of their feature requests right off of the Props forum so if you feel that way sign up and become more active with feature requests. Ive seen this blocks feature requested on the props forum more than once. And I think the Octorex will be very useful for my personal workflow. I love the Dr Rex its one of my favorite modules in Reason

Honestly I don't even know what features i would want to see.

I'm with kb420 on this in that I only use Reason to rewire into Live.

The only features I think that would really excite me at this point are a new library or a shitload of new presets, and/or a new synth maybe like an updated maelstrom (I suck at synth editing and the maelstrom to me is the easiest synth out to program yourself)

Oh and on a minor update note I'd like to see you be able to open a Combinator inside of another Combinator (or can you already do this and I'm just stupid???)

That block feature is good for workflow..
I switched from reason to cubase 5, which already has that blocks kind of feature

all I want is vst plugins, I have a massive load of vst's, omnisphere, trilian, battery 3, sample tank etc etc... but if I can't use it with reason then there is no point

I don't want to be limited in any way..
that is why I switched to cubase

Coming from a mpc blocks is amazing pattern sequencing is my preference plus its still linear so they didn't remove any features

But with pattern blocks and regrove w the mpc 3000 tam plants its gonna be cool
Plus Dr octo rex and 8 diff Chopped sections of a song whoa

yall need to stop crying and realize the app is getting better and better props know they have a solid app they are professionals who know it don't take millions of vsti and tools to make great music

Reason 5 is a blessing be happy they don't pull the plug on you ungrateful basterd

I love the new features doesn't dissapoint me because of alot of the features are workflow related so far, all i need is midi out... .lol c'mon midi out.
same. At first blocks was kinda :banghead: for me. But then i started to think about it. Mpc style sequencing in Reason hell thats 90% of why I bought a mpc in the first place 6 months ago. Ill sell that thing for parts and go Reason 5/Record 1.5 and be a happy person lol

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I've eliminated a lot of mouse use by learning keyboard shortcuts and buying an APC 40. I also have a Remote 37 SL which uses Automap. I agree that Live is heavier on the cpu than Reason, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that Reason's synths and devices don't have anti aliasing, but that's an entirely different argument.
I wish the APC 40 worked with Reason Id be all over it. I think that thing makes Live way better workflow wise

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Honestly I don't even know what features i would want to see.

I'm with kb420 on this in that I only use Reason to rewire into Live.

The only features I think that would really excite me at this point are a new library or a shitload of new presets, and/or a new synth maybe like an updated maelstrom (I suck at synth editing and the maelstrom to me is the easiest synth out to program yourself)

Oh and on a minor update note I'd like to see you be able to open a Combinator inside of another Combinator (or can you already do this and I'm just stupid???)
why add sounds when they are constantly putting out refills. at this point if u dont like the presets they have just buy new ones. Refills are for the most part dumb cheap. Then theres refills like abbey roads which I wish was cheaper

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Coming from a mpc blocks is amazing pattern sequencing is my preference plus its still linear so they didn't remove any features

But with pattern blocks and regrove w the mpc 3000 tam plants its gonna be cool
Plus Dr octo rex and 8 diff Chopped sections of a song whoa

yall need to stop crying and realize the app is getting better and better props know they have a solid app they are professionals who know it don't take millions of vsti and tools to make great music

Reason 5 is a blessing be happy they don't pull the plug on you ungrateful basterd
i dont see it as crying. i maen there is a popular demand for vst support. I personally just don't see the need. there are hundreds of reason refills available out there. and most of them cost less than $100.

i just got confirmation i begin beta testing tonight when i get home woohooo i'm a propellerheads junkie

Wow! Heck I was using block type in the MPC 2000xl that's why I work so fast in it. MPC sequences=blocks. Then I just go to song mode in the MPC and set up the sequences as an arrangement of my sequences. :)
But I was already able to work fast in Reason/Record with what we have already. intro, verse, chorus, breakdown, buildup, bridge, I am able to work fast with that now in Record so blocks is going to make it faster? hmmmmmmmm

Im with MrGibbs, if they add Midi out I am hooking up my Motif XS IMMEDIATELY! Man they better do it, because that's the biggest request on their sight. I wanna see what else they are going to bring. I'm not that excited about the blocks, but that Dr. Octo Rex hmmmmmm I like that joint :)

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

i just got confirmation i begin beta testing tonight when i get home woohooo i'm a propellerheads junkie

:rofl:

At least you admit you're a junkie lol

ask around my dude everybody knows im addicted to reason/record always have been with the amount of stuff that comes out i never reason left reason at all the whole time its my tool of choice woohoo.

you need VSTi's so you could use your Titan synth with it lol..

But on the real.. I was on reason 3 for a year, then I upgraded to reason 4. I wanted to expand my music and not just be a sample using beat maker, the refills never really got me excited

the amount of amazing vst's, I would love if reason had that option.. especially now that I am taking piano lessons

Last edited:
:sing:all im going to say is im using reason 5 right now woooooooooooooooow get ready for a big suprise and 1.5 record is crazy as well. woooooooooooooow.:sing:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back