Producing Hip Hop vs Producing HipHop/Multiple Genres

gescajadillo

From a business perspective, I was wondering if any of you producer's are scared of making other genres of music that could hurt your reputation or style of creating music? I mean does it really matter what a producer should sound like? If you are a solo producer, is it harder to change the way you create music? Do you really need to keep a certain niche to be respected in the industry especially with artists/fans?

I see Dr.Luke he can do a pop song then a hip hop beat for Katy Perry. He's know to be top 40 producer so that's ok right.

Mike WiLL doing it good with Miley with that one song but I haven't heard of anything else that other than trap beats with quantized hi hats. I'd love to hear what else he can do.

For solo producers, Skrillex already went at his peak, can he still do dub tep or does he have to transcend to doing only Electro House music since it's still big now? He's an artist so it's different since he's at the position of putting out music for himself.

Unknown Placement producers, IMO it doesn't really matter for them because they are not as big but they still can do whatever they want, make whatever they want without all that necessary public exposure. Soundclick producers are like whatever, here's a drake beat, hears a meek mill beat, I'm here to sell beats online just for a price, not intentionally making it as a famous producer or whatever.

And Would fans flip out if Young Chop randomly out of nowhere did a dance song for Britney Spears? Is the hip hop world going to make a big deal of a trap producer that does EDM? Is that gonna hurt industry credibility and Gucci Mane would give the awkward look like what the hell you doing man? Would he lose rappers interest?

Well Boi1Da still does hip hop, that's good for him right? He still has that respect from everyone for putting out dope beats.

I'm just trying to get answers because I am still producing the same way I always have, just changing tempos/ drum patterns.... I will go from kick snare, or kick kick kick kick, anything that can sound like me I guess. It's tough to have your own sound and put it into different genres. Let me know your opinions though.

Last edited:
I do whatever the check writes. I'll do a trap song for some dope boys one week, and then do a country ballad for a young white chick the next week.

Why should you limit yourself?? I can do it all, so I do it all.

Hell, I'm about to start a Christian Worship Music project in the next few weeks. Soon as we get this paperwork signed.

It's all music. And I love it all.

I'm only good at hip hop and r&B.. I tried making other genres like rock/rap once, but it just sounded kinda cheesy though, I dunno.. but trust me, like troup, If I could, I Would!! make all types of shit.. its like, Why the fu*K NOT?? I don't blame ya, shiit..

Agreed with Troup. All about the music!

I think many times, alot of us pidgeon hole ourselves willingly. You get stuck on a certain sound, and eventually people like it. Next you know, you're working strictly in one genre.

I think the key is to constantly surround yourself around different music. If you're around one genre, and only listen to one genre of music, then that's going to come out on your concepts.

From a business perspective, I was wondering if any of you producer's are scared of making other genres of music that could hurt your reputation or style of creating music? I mean does it really matter what a producer should sound like? If you are a solo producer, is it harder to change the way you create music? Do you really need to keep a certain niche to be respected in the industry especially with artists/fans?

An "understanding" of the genres you want to do whether it's one or many is more of a factor than just doing them and using "you style" as an excuse for it not being on par with what fans of a genre is used to.

BUT...........if you have fans of YOU....(as in yourself outside of the genre they normally listen to).....then that's the rule breaker.

Stick to the script. If you are a hip hop head, keep doing that. Forget about the business and make what you love.

What if you love MUSIC?

Rick Rubin laid the foundation for hip hop. Then he went on to work with Johnny Cash, NIN, and a bunch of other non-hip hop acts.

Then he came back to work with Jay-Z.

What if you love MUSIC?

Rick Rubin laid the foundation for hip hop. Then he went on to work with Johnny Cash, NIN, and a bunch of other non-hip hop acts.

Then he came back to work with Jay-Z.

If you love music, you wouldn't even be asking questions about what genres to produce in. You would get busy and do what you wanted to do.

I think some people are scared to be themselves. They come to places like FP for advice, but they really want people to co-sign their decisions.

I can tell that you are not looking for co-signs. You left a six-figure job and you are happy. You make your decisions and own them. Others have trouble doing that.

If you love music, you wouldn't even be asking questions about what genres to produce in. You would get busy and do what you wanted to do.

I think some people are scared to be themselves. They come to places like FP for advice, but they really want people to co-sign their decisions.

I can tell that you are not looking for co-signs. You left a six-figure job and you are happy. You make your decisions and own them. Others have trouble doing that.

and some people want reassurance that it's okay to be themselves, and they don't have to adhere to some standard of hip hop and music making.

Every single person in the music biz is insecure, self conscious, and shy. That's why they become musicians.

I just stick to Soulful Hip-Hop.
Cause i like any genre if it's music is soulful.
My music is basically a mix between Hip-Hop/R&B.

I stick to one genre which is Praise and Worship(traditional)
and includes sub-genres
Electric Dance Music
Rap(tons of sub-genres here from trap to jerk beats)
Pop
Rock
Country
RnB( rhythm and bible)
Folk
Acoustic
etc....
so I can branch out alot and still be music ministry

Electro Pop with these two songs

Trap and Jerk song

and if you do just rap beats you have many sub-genres to work

but I love making EDM beats super fun

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
I make whatever I like.

Of course hip hop is always home but being a composer, its fun making other genres.

I think as an artist though, you will venture into other genres anyway

as long as the music is good.. no one is going to hate... producers WANT to crossover and get their name out there.. i remember lex luger had tweeted after i said i remember he used to run the rap charts on billboard.. he responded rap charts are cool but urban charts is where it's really at..

Dude I'm so scared I've developed my own sound and refuse to break free from it :(

You can still make other genres and have your own sound. Your sound and rhythm is always going to be your own sound and rhythm.

If you know how to play keyboard/piano, making other genres is dead easy lol. Then if you want you can get experimental with other genres and blend them into your own sound you can do that too.

Home is kool but its nice to be able to go out the house and experience other shit.

It depends, if it still sounds like you, i dont think anyone would care that much. Look at Skrillex, he changes his genre with almost every song, but it still sounds like Skrillex so his fans dont care. The problem is, if your sound changes too much, like Pendulum went from an ok Drum & Bass group to a copy of 30 Seconds To Mars with 909 snares.

I see Dr.Luke he can do a pop song then a hip hop beat for Katy Perry. He's know to be top 40 producer so that's ok right.
Oh God:4theloveofgod:

well, a lot of Pop songs nowadays are done on Dance beats.
10 years ago Pop was usually done on a Hip-Hop beat.
Even the Backstreet Boys, Five, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera where basically singing on Hip-Hop beats back in the day.
But they made it sound Pop with the singing and live instrumentation on top of it. But if you just listen to the beat it's basically Hip-Hop.

Last edited:
Back