Producers

tjustice

Have you guys heard of the producer Dirty Vans? Those are the types of beats i would like to make but i just cant seem to get to it. Check him out & let me know if you guys have any advice

Have you guys heard of the producer Dirty Vans? Those are the types of beats i would like to make but i just cant seem to get to it. Check him out & let me know if you guys have any advice
you just made a thread yesterday asking what equipment you needed to get started.

I don't think your quite far enough into it yet to be saying "you just cant seem to get it" lol. Just keep practicing and researching. You aren't gonna learn how to make a beat by staring at your daw if you don't know what you're staring at. There is a huge learning curve before you should even get into the actual composing part of it. With that being said, you can never go wrong by practicing 'hands on' within your DAW. But look at it as that, practice to supplement what you are researching and learning. If you start comparing your beats to who you want to be like right now you are just gonna get frustrated and quit.

Amazing how many people these days think they can just sit down and make a beat. The accessibility to software and bedroom producing has become easier for the masses, it doesn't mean the learning process in order to be able to do that has. That will always be the same. Boring ass music theory and boring ass research. In my opinion anyway, well my old opinion, not anymore, now i love learning new stuff. I'm sure some people like it from the start haha. Once you get deeper into it, the research will become a passion and you will actually WANT to do it. Until then, you just need to realize its something that needs to be done before you can just open your daw and start making beats like you are finding done by paid professionals.

I don't mean study for a weekend. This could take months or even years before you are comfortable putting together a beat that will satisfy you. Still wanna do it? If you don't, then you (I don't like saying this but its true) shouldn't waste your time, because the only thing i can tell you for sure is it is going to take a lot more time then you want it to for you to be able to just sit down and comfortably compose a piece that will satisfy you. If you can accept that, then good. Time to get started. Lots of people start with music theory, which is a great place to start. Id recommend it. I started with engineering aspects first for my own personal reasons but you don't need to worry about doing that, go with theory first. I am just getting to the point where I am starting to learn music theory and Ive been researching and studying for close to a year. Once you get music theory down and start tinkering with your daw, then you can start researching the engineering aspects that are relevant to what you need in your current production. Only reason i started studying engineering first before theory is because I was on a time line and wanted to absorb as much as I could about engineering before I started school for it (which I am in now) so I wouldn't have to tackle the learning curve in school and could just get right into projects. Plus we do music theory from the ground up in school so I wasn't too rushed on it (although I still have been casually studying it, you cant go wrong with a basic understanding of scales, chords, etc..)

Last edited:
Thank you!! So basically production is like another subject which takes time & dedication. Im ok with all that, i have nothing but time. So to get past the learning curve i should actually do more research & study music theory & actually practice & practice?

Soo how did you yourself get past the learning curve?

Thank you!! So basically production is like another subject which takes time & dedication. Im ok with all that, i have nothing but time. So to get past the learning curve i should actually do more research & study music theory & actually practice & practice?

Soo how did you yourself get past the learning curve?
Im not even close to passing the learning curve. I haven't even touched on being close to passing it. You will NEVER stop learning. If your asking when you are going to be able to make a song that satisfies you, I cant answer that. I can already tell just by how you ask your questions your head isn't in the right place. I shouldnt have to explain to you that this all takes practice and its like learning any other subject. Stop worrying about how long its going to take, no one can answer that question. Start worrying about just getting started and it will come when it comes. You have a better idea than anyone how your progress is going. Stop trying to put an 'end time' on when you have to stop learning because you will never stop learning. Get used to the LIFESTYLE of learning everyday, that should be your only focus regarding the topic. Your progress will come when it comes. The only thing you need to worry about is learning as much as you can everyday and the progress will follow right behind it. Kind of like money when you goto work, if you don't show up everyday to put in the work the money isn't going to come. Same idea for audio I'm assuming. You need to understand I'm a noob too. Everything I'm telling you is based on a mindset, not experience. You have the ability to know everything I'm telling you just as much as I do. Its not a secret, its just realizing the reality of the situation. Unless I'm wrong about all this, then someone with experience let me know cuz I'm going about it wrong too haha.

Last edited:
I actually think yourr right. I can honestly say you gave me alot of help. I am kinda stuck in the wrong place, im always trying to rush but greatness takes time & practice & i appreciate it man. Thanks, im gonna do what i have to do to better myself no matter the time. Thank you

I actually think yourr right. I can honestly say you gave me alot of help. I am kinda stuck in the wrong place, im always trying to rush but greatness takes time & practice & i appreciate it man. Thanks, im gonna do what i have to do to better myself no matter the time. Thank you
Its no problem man. Lots of people are in that same 'track' when they first get started. Its to be expected, your excited and want to get stuff done. But just imagine how fun it will be when you understand everything and can just sit down at your computer and literally translate whatever is in your head out on to your daw, while being comfortable doing it and not having to think about it. Thats the goal. And once your there you are there forever. Everything you learn from that point on is only going to make your productions sound more and more professional. Thats when you can really start learning all the fun stuff. But its work to get there otherwise everyone would just skip to that part.

Last edited:
Pay attention to the stickies on these forums too, especially in the production sections. Tons of good stuff in there. One of my favourite ways of learning is just talking on forums like this. If I had to learn everything by book, i probably wouldn't. Youtube videos are great too.

Buy a notebook and TAKE NOTES. I cant even tell you how many notebooks i have filled up in the last year. You learn a lot when u RE TYPE your notes into your computer as a form of studying. The first time learning something I always miss a few points, sometimes without even realizing, I cant even tell you how many times I have been re-typing notes that I have already written once and had this "lightbulb" moment where everything just clicked and it made WAY more sense then the first time. Sometimes it just takes going back and reading what you have already written for it to really click for you. at least for me anyway. And don't just copy paste stuff, physically write it down on paper by hand, then re type it. It will force your brain to actually think about the words. Not nearly as effective if you are just reading it then copying it for reference later.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice & everything!! Im watching a video now by Visa Beatz & i probably should be taking notes so i can go back & actually have something to look at while im on fl. I will do everything you said above

Back