Producer Regrets

ThaRealKapone

...Only Kapone
After goin' through my entire catalog, I realized that I let go of some great beats for some embarrassing prices, to make matters worse, most of the cats I sold those beats to aren't gon do nothing with 'em :sigh:. Thats my story, how bout y'all? Any moves you've made over the course of your career that you wish you could take back or do better?

I can't say that I regret much. Because the mistakes that I've made have gotten me to where I am, today.

I think the biggest regret I can say I have is not planning my EXIT STRATEGY much sooner. I should have been out of corporate america 5 years ago.

Everything else is just a learning experience. There are certain things we all have to learn on this journey.

No major regrets, but I have found some resources and contacts I wish I had found earlier in my career. I've also worked with some people through the years that have slowed me down or got me off-track. Sometimes I wish I hadn't wasted that time, but I've reached a new level, and I'm fine with it now.

I wish I bought a Apple Macbook Pro sooner which I JUST bought this past summer. My previous PC laptop was terrible for music production and I had it for 3 years.

Maschine is the best investment in my opinion, combined with Logic Pro.

Like Jay-Z said, you gotta learn to live with regrets.

I wish I would have started doing YouTube sooner does that count? I wish I would have updated my pages more regularly. I wish I would have focused more on trends because now I feel like I have to back pedal to get to where everyone else is because I have been on some other shit. Other than that I have had a blast producing.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

^^this
and making a soundclick before i knew the business
what about the business made you dislike Soundclick? I agree there are better ways to make money away from Soundclick but I don't think Soundclick itself is bad. Well bad except for the people who own Soundclick itself but selling beats on your own to people who cannot really afford beats to me is a great thing.

I wish I would have started doing YouTube sooner does that count? I wish I would have updated my pages more regularly. I wish I would have focused more on trends because now I feel like I have to back pedal to get to where everyone else is because I have been on some other shit. Other than that I have had a blast producing.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

what about the business made you dislike Soundclick? I agree there are better ways to make money away from Soundclick but I don't think Soundclick itself is bad. Well bad except for the people who own Soundclick itself but selling beats on your own to people who cannot really afford beats to me is a great thing.

i mean before i knew about talking business. when i first started my soundclick i was a senior in high school just slanging 75 dollar exclusives and shit lol.... thinking i was doing something... sold some exclusives without the track outs back then and all that... they didnt ask and i didnt know so ya know...

I regret allowing myself to give up my music aspiration 5 years ago. I was still in college at the time when I determined that this music stuff may not afford me the lifestyle I desire. I was just starting to really understand concepts like determining the root note of the sample, adding bassliness, choruses, pattern changes etc...

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

same with me. Don't use it at all.

Why not. My neighbor doesnt use it but refuses to sell it to me. He says he doesnt like the timing.

Last edited:
selling my mpc and motif xs.

listening to Guitar Center reps. (they dont know sh!t) they do/might but they try to push the unpopular products on you. I could have saved so much money if i had not listened to those douchebags.

I regret not making friends with more accounting nerds and computer geeks. When you start making money in the game then you have to account for it...the IRS ain't playing and now the whole business is computer based. I would have studied computer science instead of music if i would have known I'd be living my life on the computer...

I regret not selling that beat to Lil Wayne for The Carter III. He offered $50,000, but I was holding out for $100,000. That's only because Rick Ross offered $70,000 and T.I. offered $80,000. In the end, I just sold the beat as an exclusive on Soundclick for $50. Damn, bro. I messed up. :(

I regret not selling that beat to Lil Wayne for The Carter III. He offered $50,000, but I was holding out for $100,000. That's only because Rick Ross offered $70,000 and T.I. offered $80,000. In the end, I just sold the beat as an exclusive on Soundclick for $50. Damn, bro. I messed up. :(

this is funny... lol... some niggas may actually be able to say this haha

I have done many things wrong, but I feel that you live and learn by your own mistakes. When you first come online you really don't have any connections, and it's very frustrating at first. I have came along way in my music career, getting TV placements to working with some very talented underground artist as well. So really no regrets, I just stay busy working on beats,mixing, mastering, as well marketing. Thanks for your time

my regret was serena williams wanted a song for her charity.. i was going to produce it .. but then someone said i should be getting paid at least 2000 per beat from her... and since it was for her charity it ****ed up the whole deal and she ended up using some one elses track... no serena is not the biggest singer.. but she is very rich and has connections to pretty much anyone.. bad move on my part

Back