Producer+Artist?

bendorr

I was wondering what you guys thought about somebody strictly producing for themselves? To elaborate I mean like what Hopsin does, make the beats, rap over them dadada. I'm only 15 but my friend (producer) said it's stupid to do both and I should let someone else make the beats while I focus on lyricism. Should I? I produce for myself now because I don't really trust others to make the particular sound I need for a song and I've been making beats since I was 8, and started rapping when I was 13. Any help or advice is appreciated!:hmmm:

Ask your friend why he considers it stupid as many have tried and succeeded just as many have tried and failed and both are different talents with different components. Do some soul searching and if you would rather be strictly an MC/lyricist that is perfectly fine just as it is also fine to just be solely a producer but don't get caught up in the multiple revenue streams idea which, while it makes sense for anyone that is a professional or amateur wanting to become a pro in the future doesn't mean you should be a jack of all trades master of none.

Last edited:
It is an old idea that you can only be one thing. I am a producer, songwriter, singer, guitarist and engineer. If I'm not working on something I'm weak at, I'm not happy.

If you truly love and live music, you will constantly be getting better in all ways.

That being said, the real reason it's often said you should only pick one is so that you can become a master of one. Being "okay" at everything will get you nowhere, but being a master at any of them can get you somewhere.

The key is to learn how to focus until you're incredible at one aspect, then move to another. Producing and rapping can really go hand in hand, and if you do both it will allow you do learn how the two interact at a greater level.

It depends on what you see yourself doing, but to really answer the question, of COURSE you can do both. The real question is - do you ENJOY both? If yes, then do them both. If not, pick the one that really speaks to you and focus on that for now and get excellent at it.

Good luck!

It is an old idea that you can only be one thing. I am a producer, songwriter, singer, guitarist and engineer. If I'm not working on something I'm weak at, I'm not happy.

If you truly love and live music, you will constantly be getting better in all ways.

That being said, the real reason it's often said you should only pick one is so that you can become a master of one. Being "okay" at everything will get you nowhere, but being a master at any of them can get you somewhere.

The key is to learn how to focus until you're incredible at one aspect, then move to another. Producing and rapping can really go hand in hand, and if you do both it will allow you do learn how the two interact at a greater level.

It depends on what you see yourself doing, but to really answer the question, of COURSE you can do both. The real question is - do you ENJOY both? If yes, then do them both. If not, pick the one that really speaks to you and focus on that for now and get excellent at it.

Good luck!
Appreciate both responses. I definitely want to do both as producing was what got me into music and rapping is something I always wanted to do but never had the balls because it seems like nobody has anything positive to say about a kid who raps. I appreciate the push and advice.

Your friend's an idiot tbh. Aint nothing wrong with being a producer/lyricist. That's slowly becoming the norm, especially in Hip Hop these days.

Rapping is like flipping burgers, anybody can do it. Producing is like becoming a surgeon, takes years of studying and dedication, involves learning countless tools and procedures, we have new advancements in technology to keep up with, and new genres we have to learn (like diseases).

Your boy won't admit it, but he's probably too lazy to work at both crafts. Reality is going to hit him one day and he'll realize that unless you're the luckiest guy on earth, you won't have a long successful career in this industry without being multi-talented or skilled at many trades. There are 10's of millions of "rappers", and how many of these guys last after their 15 minutes is up, how many of them even get 15 minutes? There isn't room for everybody, you have to stand out and be skilled. Do your producing, do your rapping, you'll be in full control of the creative process. In 10 years if you grow out of the rapping you'll still be working with music doing something you love.

Longevity over pipe dreams.

Rapping is like flipping burgers, anybody can do it. Producing is like becoming a surgeon, takes years of studying and dedication, involves learning countless tools and procedures, we have new advancements in technology to keep up with, and new genres we have to learn (like diseases).

Your boy won't admit it, but he's probably too lazy to work at both crafts. Reality is going to hit him one day and he'll realize that unless you're the luckiest guy on earth, you won't have a long successful career in this industry without being multi-talented or skilled at many trades. There are 10's of millions of "rappers", and how many of these guys last after their 15 minutes is up, how many of them even get 15 minutes? There isn't room for everybody, you have to stand out and be skilled. Do your producing, do your rapping, you'll be in full control of the creative process. In 10 years if you grow out of the rapping you'll still be working with music doing something you love.

YES! that was probably the most sense and in depth response from any forum, I've taken time to master producing to the best I can, and am still working on it, it took 7 years for me to get pretty good, took 2 years to be able to kill my friends off of my dome, awesome picture by the way. Love Big L RIP

Man, Fidelity speak some real shit haha. All your posts speak sense and are thought out. Thank you for that.

Not true. producing is like flipping burgers too. Anybody can get up and torrent FL Studio and become a big time producer [ e.g DJ mustard] just like anybody can do some bullshit rap and become big.

Don't disrespect the hard work that goes into becoming a good rapper with actual talent. Anybody can produce, anybody can rap, but to do them well both take years of hard work and dedication.

it will take time to master both... your young so i would say go for it.. but if your not as good as you want to be producing by 20.. i'd say focus on making songs.

Not true. producing is like flipping burgers too. Anybody can get up and torrent FL Studio and become a big time producer [ e.g DJ mustard] just like anybody can do some bullshit rap and become big.

Don't disrespect the hard work that goes into becoming a good rapper with actual talent. Anybody can produce, anybody can rap, but to do them well both take years of hard work and dedication.

Really, anybody? For every big name producer you can name that has multiple hit records and simply presses buttons in FL Studio and doesn't know what he's doing, I can name 10 rappers who are known names that spit nonsense and put no effort into their music. The majority of rappers who hit the scene make a name for themselves through the producers. Like K-Felon pointed out in his "free beats" video, "Nobody is buying a cappella albums". There's a reason the industry doesn't work the other way around.

learn everything you can about music if youre interested in it......performance, production, mixing, mastering.....I cant think of a reason not to.....especially since many artists will be creating "in the box" more and more as time goes by......

Rapping is like flipping burgers, anybody can...

and...

YES! that was probably the most sense and in depth response from any forum

Sometimes I wonder if people are serious about the crap they post and embrace.
And then I realize, yeah, some just don't know any better and it's okay.

Life is a long journey of learning and growth.
Nothing wrong with having a born-on date of yesterday.

It is a producer forum, guys in here tend to think they're doing something magical, lol.

My 6 year old daughter can make a beat and sing her own little songs she comes up with...hasn't figured out rapping yet.

All this shyt weighs on mixtures of talent, work, and above all, the luck of a lottery winner. If you have more of one than the other 2,it all evens out. But don't think for a second you're doing something millions of others across the country can't do on their mama's computer with a hacked copy of a DAW. And don't think there aren't dedicated and determined artists writing amazing material that exceeds any talent you can ever put into a "beat". Because as much as people on this site like to pretend a "beatmaker" is a definitive term, that's all you'll ever be until you get someone to perform over your "beat".

Guys on this forum amuse me. "Producers" who have never even worked with artists that amaze them enough not to make such ridiculous statements.

The majority of rappers who hit the scene make a name for themselves through the producers.
What? Since rappers use a dozen different beatmakerz/producers per album, I have no idea what you are talking about.
I can't even name who 'the main' beatsmith is behind the current top ten rapperz.

"Nobody is buying a cappella albums". There's a reason the industry doesn't work the other way around.
And no one is buying instrumental beatz albums or beatz period. BUT! There are tons of rap battle leagues where NO BEATZ are used.

Rappers are the frontmen. They are the brand, the band and the leading image. Producers and beatsmiths usually stay behind the scenes until they have a huge catalog and I do mean a huge catalog of hits. Rappers, obviously are in your face right out of the gate. Producers and beatsmiths have several luxuries that rappers don't.

1) You can change your identity/style without any risk
2) You can create music from a culture you are NOT FROM
3) You have no need for any level of credibility, street or talent-wise besides your final product.
4) You will never have to display your natural talent in any setting.

To sum it all up, you make beats but you ARE a rapper.
There's a huge difference -- and to think 'producas' work harder than rappers is ridiculous.

If you want to o/b both expect to put the same level of dedication behind each.

Since both of you are on here trying to make a point to something that I didn't say I guess I have to repeat myself. Rapping is like flipping burgers, anyone can do it.

Not once did I insinuate rappers aren't dedicated, and not once did I insinuate that there aren't rappers who work as hard or even harder than a lot of producers. To even call yourself a producer takes more than downloading FL Studio and pressing buttons, to call yourself a rapper takes no more than writing and reciting rhymes. You guys jump the ball so quick before you even understand what I was getting across. But I guess it takes being 2 1/2 years removed from High School, personally knowing and knowing-of about 20 rappers in school who recorded songs, and plenty more who penned raps, to understand that statement.

If you think my post was to attack rappers and big up producers like I'm some aspiring producer with an overblown ego then you know nothing about me, so don't go throwing me in with other "guys on this forum". The only reason I got into production, and no not simply beatmaking, was to actually be in control of my entire creative process.

What? Since rappers use a dozen different beatmakerz/producers per album, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Name a few artists that came out of nowhere and made a name for themselves through their entire album rather than a single.

I can't even name who 'the main' beatsmith is behind the current top ten rapperz.
Neither can I, and that has no correlation to what I said. The producers are the ones pushing out the hit songs, but cut the beat for 3 minutes and see how many people are bumping to the "lyrics" the majority of rappers are spitting these days.

And no one is buying instrumental beatz albums or beatz period.
You must not be familiar with the Electronic Dance Music scene.

BUT! There are tons of rap battle leagues where NO BEATZ are used.

You said it yourself "rap battle", half of these "battle rappers" in leagues don't even make songs, it's sad that you even tried to compare them.

Rapping is like flipping burgers, anybody can do it. Producing is like becoming a surgeon, takes years of studying...
If you don't understand what you said here, I can't help you.

Name a few artists that came out of nowhere and made a name for themselves through their entire album rather than a single.
Name anyone who's a name that only has 1 single. It takes a full project before people respect your abilities and further 'ability' to have consistent content. 1 producer working for numerous rappers doesn't generate that. 1 rapper working with numerous producers can.

Electronic Dance Music scene.
Which POP dominates behind the vocals, still.
Where DJs are DJs and not artist also dominate.
You confuse having mixes out with being an artist.

half of these "battle rappers" in leagues don't even make songs, it's sad that you even tried to compare them

The raps are the point. Not songs or beats - JUST THE RAPS. And raps don't have to be in 'song form' to work.
Sad that you don't get that.

It's more like, if you can't understand with the clarification then you're not going to. I know what I'm talking about from experience and I made it clear for you. There's a reason why we had so many rappers in high school, and one producer, it isn't some mystery.

The term "one hit wonder" wasn't just coined yesterday. Regardless of whether or not they have more than one song, that one song is where they made all of their money along with where they got their name.

There are plenty of vocal-less tracks selling like hot cakes.

The raps are the point. Not songs or beats - JUST THE RAPS. And raps don't have to be in 'song form' to work.
Sad that you don't get that.

It does matter when you comment on something pertaining to a cappella ALBUMS and bring up battle leagues. Raps aren't the point, the point is the album. The raps do have to be in song form to sell on an album.

There's a reason why we had so many rappers in high school, and one producer, it isn't some mystery.

What's the reason?
I already addressed that about being front-men versus being behind the scenes.

The term "one hit wonder" wasn't just coined yesterday. Regardless of whether or not they have more than one song, that one song is where they made all of their money along with where they got their name.

A name means what? I could look at someone and cite their most popular song and say, see that's the point. A name actually means done something in music and NOT a one-hit wonder. You chose to push that having a name = one hit wonder. I don't say that and I wouldn't call someone with one [popular] record "a name". To be "a name" = a body of work, i.e. records.

There are plenty of vocal-less tracks selling like hot cakes.
And that's another meaningless factoid. You are full of them.

It does matter when you comment on something pertaining to a cappella ALBUMS and bring up battle leagues.

I never said anything about acapella albums. I spoke about the context of RAPS being more important than the music.
That is an example of Raps existing and being enjoyed without being a song, being on an album or whatever you trying to shove in this space.

The raps do have to be in song form to sell on an album.
And it's only you that can't understand a raps' importance/merit/worth without it being on a record.
You can be a rapper, do shows and perform without having a record or album. So at any point, you can stop connecting the two.

Right now you are pretending to never have suggested:
Producer = work
Rapper = easy.

All this crap talk about Acapella albums and producers making rappers ...name a rapper and ...EDM is a bunch of foolishness.
And ceding that there are hard workers on both sides and slackers on both sides doesn't change the same point you keep alluding to.
I'm done at this point.

We can agree to disagree.

Back