Pro Tools and Apogee Duet 2

reemdog23

Hey guys, I am experiencing two issues with the combination of Pro Tools 9 and the Apogee Duet 2. So could anybody help me with the following questions.

Question
-I am trying to hear my vocals live(without recording just testing)with plugins effect active(ex. Delay, Auto Tune, Reverb)! I have setup an aux input track and a master track. My input is set correctly and my output is the Duet 2. When I try to test vocals, i get a lot of feedback but can hear the plugin trying to work though the feedback, guessing this is latency issues, but when i set my output to a random bus, the latency goes away but i can't hear the plugin effect live on my vocals.?It's seems the Duet 2 output causes the latency but a BUS output doesn't? So pretty much in a nutshell-

-How do i hear my vocals live with plugin effects(without recording) properly without feedback?

-How can i handle this latency issue with the DUET 2 output?

Thank you ahead of time for the help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have routing issues. Set your aux input to input 1 or whatever. Set your output to headphones. There should be plugins active. You don't even need a master fader for just listening.

Ok so basically I have just the AUX track setup ONLY and it I'm still getting the feedback. I don't know what it is. When pro tools is open with no tracks assigned and a blank window. I can still hear myself in my microphone? How is that so?

I was meaning to say i can hear the mic only when pro tools is opened. But besides that i can't hear it. Example. Blank mix/edit window or AUX input track (no input/out 1-2), i can hear myself (also with no delay). But when I assigned the input to In 1(mono), that is when the delay occurs? But yes im bout to open the manual right now

Last edited:
On your last post, I'm not sure if you mean "delay" as in the effect, or "latency" as in, there's a delay between when you talk, and when you hear the sound.

I'm not familiar with pro tools, but this should hold true with most DAW's. Unless you're using a Pro Tools HD system with hardware processing of effects, then you will get considerable latency when using effects on your inputs. Unless you have a really high-end system and you have your buffer set to a really small number then you can't avoid it.

I don't know if by feedback you mean feedback like what I am thinking. With digital systems, if you create a digital feedback loop then it sounds like a high-pitched constant annoying sound. The pitch depends on how much delay different there is between input and output but it is definitely loud and it clips the crap out of your converters, so you don't want to do that.

Back