Presonus Studio One or Cubase 5

Presonus Studio One v2.

Workflow is king to me. Version 2 of S1 has improvements that have it a serious contender for the major DAWs, and it's now on the same playing field. Future versions will no doubt surpass expectations. Cubase was awesome when I was on it (version 5), but there's something special things about S1 that I like too much. Professional environment meets ease of use.

And ps... don't you mean Cubase 6? :)

I'm a Cubase head but if Studio One is easier to use with similar results go for
I haven't recorded anyone in a while this winter is when I get into the swing of things again
right now I'm working on getting my environment right for mixing then get back into tracking ppl my skills are still there just like a retired jordan rusty

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Could you be more clear.......... S1 v1 vs Cubase 5 or S1 v2 vs Cubase 5?

Or S1 v2 vs Cubase 5, S1 v2 vs Cubase 6.5........there's quite a difference!

It matters not what version of Cubase.

****ing Studio One kicks Cubase's ass all over the place. This isn't even a valid comparison.

It matters not what version of Cubase.

****ing Studio One kicks Cubase's ass all over the place. This isn't even a valid comparison.

I'd have to agree.

But just to be fair... if Studio One didn't exist... I'd be still using Cubase. I preferred it over Sonar, Pro Tools, Ableton, and Reaper. Never got a chance to try Logic.

But S1's workflow is just so much better to me. Especially when mixing. Everything's laid out so well in the GUI. Things just... work... without having to do a ton of routing or checking off options to get it to work (BLOAT). You don't have go thru menus of menus w/ submenus and more menus, to find what you wanna do.

Simple... elegant... powerful.. Melodyne intregrated.

I can go on but i'ma stop.... i'm a fanboy lol. I'm sure Cubase fanboys can go on and on about their DAW also.... but more people are switching from Cubase to S1. Steinberg might be in trouble in the future.

S1 won't overtake Cubase in the "near" future... b/c S1's controller support is currently weak (not non-existent anymore... just very weak)... but once they add that... big studios will be switching over. After you demo... it's borderline no-brainer, unless you have something that's ONLY in Cubase, that you MUST use ALL the time (like VST expressions).

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

That... and the software + hardware rep that Presonus has will eventually give ProTools a run for it's money. Especially once their big StudioLive rigs become fully integrating. They're taking it one step at a though.

any proof?

Yeah, actually.... go to the Presonus forums and get the readin'.

I personally came from Cubase. I originally was searching for something more stable. Tired of crashes and jumpy audio when processing certain things. Checked out Reaper and just didn't like the workflow and the GUI felt too weird. Felt "computer-like". Then stumbled on Studio One. Haven't heard of it so I kinda didn't want to like it. And I noticed it didn't have a trim on the mixer, so I tried convincing myself that I would need Cubase to mix. But the more I used S1, the more I enjoyed creating in it, and I started to develop new mixing habits. The quicker workflow also indirectly helped my mixing. I can do simple tasks much much faster. Things like automating parameters literally on the fly w/ the use of Control Link, adding instruments & effects w/ drag n drop and no annoying audio skips just to add/delete something, rock solid environment (v2 might be a little less stable than v1, but it's getting more stable again after their latest update.... updates r free by the way), easily viewing everything i need to in the mixer or inspector. without having to flip windows back n forth, opening and closing the windows I need when I need them.. on the fly... i need to stop. lol i'm gettin too fanboy now hahaha.

But yeah, to answer the question... yes, go to the Presonus forums. There's too many stories of people switching over. Some switch over and never look back. Some switch over and don't step in all the way until they figure out how to do certain things they knew how to do in Cubase (or other DAW), and once they figure that out then they jump into the deep water.

I'm not just speaking on "i think.. such n such", nah.. i've been reading enough posts live on the forums to be able to say with confidence that people are switching over.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Again... not to discredit Cubase. I think it's a great program. I think the only thing Cubase has over S1 right now is perhaps controller support... wheres major controllers are fully functional. S1 hasn't gotten far enough in coding controllers yet... it's on the way, just not for a few more major upgrades. So if you have an expensive Mackie Control Unit, and you want 100% functionality and you can't live without it... then Cubase might be your DAW. MCU works maybe 90% functionality in S1 out of the box... you'd have to do some coding to get everything else to work... S1 hasn't don't the template coding yet.

See? I can be sorta unbiased lolol

I still don't understand whats better about S1. A lot of people just use it because its new and the GUI has a more in your face approach. Id rock with sx3 even before S1. Switching over would seem like a downgrade in features, especially editing. It might be a workflow thing, but the workflow in Cubase worked for me when I used it, hence the annoying always on top window thing. I was more a dual monitor desktop, keyboard shortcut user. I do agree with a lot of things https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/members/cphoenix.htmlCPhoenix mentioned. I'm thinking more threw the menus and under the hood on this. I stopped using it a long time ago though because their support system is horrible and I don't agree with Iloks for Daws.

Sure... i'm a Troll :4theloveofgod:. I think I've been around here long enough to not be a Troll. I've learned a lot here, and I've given back as much as I can within my scope of experience (not like that's a ton of experience).

But yeah, the biggest thing for me is the workflow. 2.0.5 has some updates that has it more stable on my system than the others. The first v2 release crashed a lot on my system as well. Stuck with it and now it's pretty smooth. I give 'em a pass since their only on version 2 lol. Support is so backed up it's non-existant, so it's recommended to use the forums. They respond quicker there.

Cubase might have every feature possible in a DAW.... so it's like I said, if you actually use those features then there might not really a reason to switch. But I get practically anything I need to do, done in S1, and done quicker than other DAWs. It's got an ease of use about it that's refreshing. Very intuitive. It's WELL worth trying out the demo. Again... I didn't want to like S1 lol. It just made sense. But yet in still, I wasn't married to Cubase at that point. If I were married to Cubase, I might not have switched DAWs. I still wanted more out of Cubase 5. I wanted to add an instrument without my audio skipping (as silly as it sounds... that was a big deal for me... it destroyed my groove and had me thinking something was wrong w/ my setup).

But i'll say it again.... you can work quickly in any DAW lol, provided you know what you're doing in it. Most people who switch do it b/c of the workflow and how much easier they can create songs and mix tracks. Most people who don't switch, it has to do with better controller support in their DAW, and needing an extensive amount of tools to edit midi & audio. S1 has all the features you need to accomplish any task you need (it's not like you can't do it in S1), but some of the users do complain about wanting more midi/audio editing features. I'm sure more are on the way... but the basics are there.

Also, I forgot to add that S1 can't render video. This pisses me off a little bit, b/c I have to use a 3rd app to render a final video product when i'm scoring. I can create the music in S1 and load the video i'm working on so I can make it on time, but i can't export the video (WTF MAN?!)

So yeah, all-in-all, I have no experience w/ Cubase 6.5. I'm sure it's amazing as well. Again, if S1 didn't come around, i'd still be on Cubase. It felt easier to use than Sonar (before X1), Mpowered ProTools, Ableton, and Reaper... for me. This is just my opinion on S1 v2 vs. Cubase 5

It's all subjective in the end. Use what works for you. I'm just overly excited about my DAW of choice.

Last edited:
^haha, thanks man. If you didn't notice I love giving my opinion. If I think it's good.. i'ma tell you. The stuff that I feel S1 lacks, i'm lobbying for it on the forum lol, b/c i think it's just that good.

This'll be my last post on it....

S1 Pro's
- Overall workflow & presentation. You'd really be amazed at how much more you can do w/ a streamlined workflow done right. I was able to produce and mix my latest client's project in half the time. Allows me to take in more clients, since I know I can blast through the project, and do all of the simple tasks that take up all of the time.. much quicker.
- Drag n Drop
- Audio Engine (not in the sense that things magically sound better... i mean, does it skip when adding instruments & effects , problems w/ playback, etc)
- Ease of use w/ setting up hardware. I can pop a hardware unit to process some audio like it were a VST. (Pipeline)
- GUI (which is a bigger deal than what you might expect, try going from a regular keyboard to a condensed laptop)
- Melodyne integration, w/ presumably more integration to follow
- Very good ReWire implementation
- Upside (only on version 2, and there's still a ridiculous amount of features being systematically placed instead of just being shoved into the coding for sake of time.)
- Very good stock effects
- Audio editing options are very good.

Probable Downsides
- Behind on midi editing tools
- stock instruments are only good for filler. Kontakt instruments obliterate S1's stock sound library.
- no audio scrub (you know how you can scroll through an audio clip on the timeline to an exact point w/ your left/right arrow? Nope.. can't do it in S1. Pissed me off. Hopefully they'll add it.)
- External controller support is behind. Keyboard support is pretty good... most of the common brands have templates. But for expensive control surfaces (like Eucon, etc) there may not be a templated yet. You want to check that out first.. especially if you spent big bucks on your control surface. You can at least now assign any controller button to a macro or a keycommand, but some buttons might not work out of the box for you... and to some people this is a big deal breaker. This is the biggest thing that prevents S1 from getting into big studios.
- Can't render video. (This is just dumb to me).

None of the downsides were a deal-breaker for me, since my controllers are supported (obviously Faderport is lol). I use my VSTs over the S1 stock library. And I just had to get over not being able to scrub through audio. I don't need it in my workflow anymore... developed new habits.

From what I can remember about Cubase 5, prior to S1, I liked to layout. The audio engine ran smoother than others for me. I liked that fact that it literally has everything you could possibily need. There were absolutely no limitations in Cubase from a "Do this" standpoint. I might reinstall it so I can export video.

I didn't like all of the menus to find tasks. I didn't like flipping windows. Working on mulitple projects always seems to create an issue somewhere. (S1 lets you flip back n forth between multiple sessions pretty seamlessly... provided your system is up to par.) Audio engine skipped every time I added an instrument and also for most effects. Felt like it took long to accomplish things, but I didn't know any better at the time.

Kontakt instruments obliterate S1's stock sound library

Kontakt obliterates Reason's stock sound library, too - (just for the record)

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

- no audio scrub (you know how you can scroll through an audio clip on the timeline to an exact point w/ your left/right arrow? Nope.. can't do it in S1. Pissed me off. Hopefully they'll add it.)

just use the "+" and "-" keys on the NUMBER PAD of your QWERTY keyboard.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

But for expensive control surfaces (like Eucon, etc) there may not be a templated yet.

yeah...i was pissed when i discovered that there wasn't a template for my Novation SL MKii

just use the "+" and "-" keys on the NUMBER PAD of your QWERTY keyboard.

Negative. You can move back n forth through the timeline of course... but you it's not sample accurate like it would be if it had an audio scrub feature (like using a jog wheel). For instance, you can't use + or - to scroll to the beginning of a word. Jog wheels aren't precise in S1. They jump bar by bar.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

yeah...i was pissed when i discovered that there wasn't a template for my Novation SL MKii

The good news is that S1 makes it really easy to map your keyboard controller. I've got a SL mkii also. I don't remember being upset about that. But for the more expensive controls that have dedicated buttons... for right now, you better pray that the button sends a midi signal so u can assign it. If not, S1 won't recognize it if it aint on the list.

Sequoia 12
Presonus Studio One
FL Studio 10

Cubase never clicked with me with my style of producing, neither did Logic or PT. Sequoia is my multi-track, mastering and editor, Presonus and FL battle it out for best composition tool/piano roll killer.

:)

Back