Poll>What OS is your favourite?

ade

original JOKER
My current OS is WinNT it has all the stability I need and since i've got all the directx updates it great for audio.
Others I like are Mac OS, can't wait until verison X is out properly. Those dual processors will kick some a*s*s :D
Also BeOS this great and super quick shame there's not more support.
Linux :( u need to be a complete nerd to get into it.

So everyone tell me whats your favourite and why?

Win 98, it doesn't have the hastles of NT and is pretty much standard. Guess it depends on your needs :) I did try a trial version of BeOS, it looked quiet good, but had tons of little bugs, probably because it was a measly trial thingy, who knows

I'm on Mac OS 8.1, don't want to install OS9 (needs too much ram). When I'll change my computer, I'll try OSX, which looks much more stable and great for development programs (local testing for web databases, etc...).

I don't know much windows stuff ! :)

Umm well WIN2K is great has loads of stability and has loads of great features but just runs dog slow if it ran faster then I would still be using it now , also the network features are great if you have 2 pcs and you want to network them u hardly have to do anything to get them to work internet connection sharing just happens as easy as pie as well.

But now im using Win ME, it has gave me sh*t to start off with and what ever you do dont run REGCLEAN on it, but it has some great features and runs faster than any other Microsoft OS I have used. The start menu must be kept in memory all the time, as it never takes time to open. There still are a few bugs but im downloading the update for it now and hopefully then they should be fixed (but this is Microsoft :) )
IF u have a great machine faster than P3 500 then give win 2k a try, other wise get me as it’s so much faster and has some nice features.

So my favourite operating system is Win Me at the moment.

Sub

MacOS X is going to run my next computer, thats going to be a G4 dual 450, I use to use win98 but i had loads of problems even with all the updates,i lost so much work due to it i should be suing microsoft for loss of earnings.
I've had winNT and had no problems its only crashed twice in month so i am pleased there, if anyone is having problems with 98 its really worth considering using NT, if u using ur PC for serious work then use it because personally i feel that 98 doesn't cut it. For audio on NT u need a few updates but once u've got them :D

Also i think a lot of people use win because of warez sites thats why other OS's don't get a looking :(

-DigitalDreams- said:
Win 98, it doesn't have the hastles of NT and is pretty much standard. Guess it depends on your needs :)
I use NT at work, and when we switched from windows 98, we seemed to have lost alot of the abilities we had. We can only scan from the computer that the scanner is hooked up to, when we used to be able to from any of them. We can only go online with the computer that is hooked up to the (yuk!) phone jack. We even lost a ton of options in our printers and plotters print options. As far as using NT for a music based computer, I don't know. Who knows, I may be missing out on somthing.;)
I use win 98 in my studio, and I don't think I've really had any problems.

[Edited by Crispy Disco on 12-04-2000 at 07:56 AM]

Win2k all the way, hey hey hey... What do you say..... :)

Most stable than anything else microsoft has put out, and the alternative os's don't have the support in a/v that M$ has. BeOS is a good up and commer for A/V but it just doesn't have the stable drivers nor the tools for professional development.

Mac??? No comment ;)

I'm actually realy getting to like MacOS9 (If I can understand it hehe), they say OSX is supposed to be brilliant for MPs, BUT they also say the graphics kill the speed ("they" talk alot these days:() has anyone tried it yet?

Hi there ! !

Win2k pretty much rules, it has the stability of NT built with more functionality. As for the speed of win2k, if it runs slow, it needs tweaking, thats all. You can tweak the services that are running, and also log in as a power user, and not administrator, as admin has larger memory overheads, also the task manager gives you the ability to monitor your system to twqeak it for performance, unless your system is off of the ark, you should be fine with windows 2000, however, certain software WONT run on it, like Logic audio, gigasampler. However thats all ive come across that wont work, and have tried MOST software.

Win98 is defacto standard, but if your used to NT, you wont get on with win98 at all, its flakier then most Caburys products.

hi ... for me Win98 is cool as all my stuff works perfetly fine on it. never bothered to get win2k. yeah, i do need some processing power.. saving money to get a pIII ..

-DigitalDreams- said:
I'm actually realy getting to like MacOS9 (If I can understand it hehe), they say OSX is supposed to be brilliant for MPs, BUT they also say the graphics kill the speed ("they" talk alot these days:() has anyone tried it yet?

No not yet, I'm still on mac OS 8.1, didn't install mac OS 9 yet (I got a powermac7600 and OS 8.1 runs fine). I think I'll change my computer in a few weeks and I'll install mac OS X, because I want to learn about PHP and My SQL and you can run that offline with mac OS X, so it's very good for learning !

:)

is the new PC based amiga out, just wondering? and has anybody used it?
:( i need to try a G4 with MacOSX Win2k looks better than NT i am just waiting a while before change to it and for the dual AMD motherboards... then i can control the world......

Has anyone ever tried Winnt on Mac? According to my NTWorkstation disk, it'll work on a mac. I've never tried it, but i'm sure SOMEONE has.....

-=Whittey=-

whittey its possible as NT should work on most things :rolleyes:.... but come on who would put windows on a perferctly good system with a perfectly good OS..

I am sure someone has done it

Back