Poll: Should I open a used record store or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jizzer

So my addiction to records is complete, and I am just about to start a little used record store. I want to now whether you guys think I'm on crack or not. I've tried to think of every possible thing that might f*ck me over, and I feel the expense part is managable. I'll only open on Saturdays and Sundays, and I will only focus on funky records and DJ stuff...basically a store for people into sampling and turntables, forget all the rest.

So....any advice, warnings, horror stories or otherwise you guys can share with me?

thanks to everyone.

I've considered opening a record store before. The biggest problem is location and rent.

If it's a speciality music store then you can get away with being further from a town centre, which will save you money on rent. Will 2 days be enough for you to make enough money to keep a float?

Well, I'm near a college campus and I want a *really* small space...like a tiny little record store, just because I want to keep cost extremely low. I will have a sign that advertises that I buy used records, and that the store is open by appointment Mon-Fri, and I'll have my phone number.

I am pretty much basing my idea on the *bet* that sampling will continue to grow, and that hip hop sampling will drive a new desire to hear records. I will not be into punk music, or indie rock etc. - just funky stuff for hip-hop or dance/electronica/disco. So my records will be mostly funk, soul, r&b, jazz, blues etc. I will have a *few* Beatles & Rolling Stone type albums.

For me, it's not about making money and I don't really expect to make much. I just want to KEEP digging at estate sales and garage sales, and i need a way to sell records.

I don't have much competition in the area I'm in, so that's good. the other guys are trying to make a killing with every record, rather than keep people (like me) happy with reasonable prices. instead, I think I *personally* have been responsible for the price of records going up around here!;)

So...to retaliate, my plan is to sell good, funky records for between $4 and $7. That way the diggers will come back more often and I can turn my stock quicker. (I expect serious diggers will just come on Sat & Sun when I'm open, or better yet make an appt.;) )

I don't buy much dance music, but isn't $4-$7 a bit expensive for used vinyl? Especially for just diggers. I think it's a good idea though.

DO IT. even if you just break even, what a great way to zen out on weekends. and if you're in a college town, 4-7 bucks seems like a fine price. it's the cost of a single drink at the bar.

$4-&7 seems high to me. The only used record store in my town, puts them as low as 50 cents if they absolutly suck, and can also go as high as $80.

Medium range is bewteen $2-$7.

Id stay in that area. But I wouldnt set prices beforehand.

What a gerat idea, i hope everything works out!

Last edited by a moderator:
$4-$7 seems fine. Lots of shops in boulder sell used records for $5-10. And boulder is more or less a college/hippie town.

I think it sounds alright. Just make sure you have one or two listening posts for the heads, at $4-7 cats won't take as many chances.

Good idea Mattu (about the listening stations.) I kinda surprised you guys think $4-7 is still pricey. I live in a cow-poke place (Oklahoma), and there's only 2 or 3 record stores in the city. 2 of them have "good" records (like Parliament, Cannonball Adderley, Brick...cool stuff) for between $8 (average to poor condition) and $15-$20 for the same in pristine condition. The one other store has f*cking TERRIBLE records he trys to sell for $3 and $4 bucks. He also has some $1 records with like cat piss and teeth marks on 'em :rolleyes:

...so for my area, I think I would offer the best deal by having "good" funky, solid records in good condition for between $4 to $7. But I guess we'll see huh?;) Anyway, I've decided to go ahead with it so wish me luck! And thanks for the responses, it really helped me to know I was in the right ball park.

Well, it's not that 5 or 6 bucks is pricey, it's just that anything above a buck isn't a 'find' anymore ;) If you find a wicked ass record for 50 cents in great condition, you feel really really content, whereas if you atcually paid some real money for it it's still nice but not as 'bargain-y'.

Wow, this is awesome.

Speaking of record stores...

Little did I know, that less than 2 miles away from my house is a hardcore record store. Its probably been there for years and years, and ive never noticed it. Its really hidden, this tiny little place crammed between a barber shop and a sewing store, about the size of my room, Packed wall to wall, floor to ceiling with literally thousande of records of every kind just waiting to be sorted. This place doesnt even have a regular sign. A tiny wooden scrap on the door that reads "Quinns Mighty Music Store" that isnt even readable from the street. No advertisements anywhere, nothing in the phone book or on any type of list. Its awesome.I happened to notice it when I saw a single record leaning against the front window, that you cant see into.

Unfortunatly, it was closed, so Ill have to go back later and check it out, but im really hype. A real life saver.

Go for it man.

DJ Deflation said:
Wow, this is awesome.

Speaking of record stores...

Little did I know, that less than 2 miles away from my house is a hardcore record store. Its probably been there for years and years, and ive never noticed it. Its really hidden, this tiny little place crammed between a barber shop and a sewing store, about the size of my room, Packed wall to wall, floor to ceiling with literally thousande of records of every kind just waiting to be sorted. This place doesnt even have a regular sign. A tiny wooden scrap on the door that reads "Quinns Mighty Music Store" that isnt even readable from the street. No advertisements anywhere, nothing in the phone book or on any type of list. Its awesome.I happened to notice it when I saw a single record leaning against the front window, that you cant see into.

Unfortunatly, it was closed, so Ill have to go back later and check it out, but im really hype. A real life saver.

Go for it man.

That is dope!! The same thing happened to me....found this record store with wall to wall black records;) I was in heaven, until I dropped a bunch of money in there, then I started considering the store.

But it's good to have a secret diggin' spot:cool:

I have a spot like that close to my house. Its a records store that is nuthin but records from floor to ceiling. They have just about every type of music you could think up and I've spent many many hours diggin for stuff to sample. The time I've spent in this place probably could be measured in DAYs, but my biggest complaint is their prices.

My advice would be (especially if your going for a production customer base) would be to keep prices as low as possible ( a "dollar box" is a good gimmick) and like mentioned before a listening station. also a pluss about the one close to my house is that its EXTREMELY well organized (which hasn't been the case in a lot of the record stores I've been to) wich makes diggin a little easier to search for a certain type of sound.

what part of this hick state we call oklahoma are you from?
you said college town, so i assume stillwater or miami, possibly norman, just curious.
i live around okc.
Josh

Record truck?

The latest thing is food trucks, t-shirt trucks, etc. I say, get a cheap van, like a seventies van, and sell from it. Lot's cheaper than retail space, and super cool. Burn some incense, have music playing frm a loudspeaker on the roof, you know, the usual stuff...

Another thing happening now is temporary lease of an unoccupied retail space. Some food truck in NY leases space for the lunch hour, sets tables for their customers and they park the truck in front of the 'temporary' restaurant. Customers don't have to wait in the cold.

Good luck, just do it.

Fusion 101

I just realized I replied to a thread from 2004. Cool!

Last edited:
Its up to you to take the risk...theres always chances of being successful and failing...and it depends on location where its convenient for people to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back