Please Help! Problems with sound coming from speakers.

SoCalKingg

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any advice that you may be able to offer. I ran into something yesterday that I have never encountered before, and I am completely lost on how to fix it. I've consulted multiple others who have no idea so I thought I'd try here.

In my studio I have, I have two small M-audio BX5a speakers. The XLR cable from the back has a 1/4" (6.33m) male plug on the other end. I use these speakers for two reasons. First, if i want to mix on my Pioneer DDJ-SR, I will just plug the cables straight into the master out in the back. Second, if I'm producing in Ableton and want sound from Ableton over the big speakers, I'll plug both of the 1/4" cables into a Y adapter to convert it to a single 3.5mm plug, which plugs directly into my Apogee One audio interface. From there of course, I'm able to have Ableton, Netflix, iTunes, or whatever sound coming from my computer on to the studio monitors.

In the past, when I've wanted to switch from using the speakers for the mixer or the audio interface, I simply just unplug and switch, it's been working fine for 2-3 years. The other night, I plugged the cables into the DDJX-SR, and when I was done mixing, plugged them back into the audio interface. Now, for some reason the sound coming out of the speakers is very garbled, and it sounds like a lot of frequencies are phased out. If I play a song, I can hear higher frequency synths/guitars okay, but human vocals or any type of base is almost in audible. It sounds terrible. I've tried everything to fix it, but for the life of me I can't.

At first I thought, maybe the speakers went out, but when I plug them back into the mixer, it sounds perfect. This would also eliminate the cables being bad as well. Next I thought, maybe it's the Y adapter, so I went and bought a new one, and am still having the exact same problem. Then I thought maybe it's the Apogee One, but when I plug regular headphones into the 1/8" jack on the front, it sounds perfect. Someone recommended bypassing the audio interface just to see what happens so I plugged the Y adapter directly into my computer's headphone jack, and the sound is still terrible. Thinking maybe it had to do with the computer (Macbook Pro) or drivers, I tried another computer (Macbook Air) and then tried an HP laptop as well. It all sounds the same. It seems like it has to be either the adapter, cable, or speakers, but cables/speakers work fine in the DDJX-SR, and I just bought a new adapter. It was working perfectly and has been forever, and now after just unplugging and plugging back in, it just doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I can post pictures of the equipment I'm using or provide any additional details if needed. I really appreciate any help. I can't produce nor use my computer for entertainment now because the built-in speakers on the laptop are terrible.

Last edited:
Back