playing vs programming

drought

Hey fp i have question about programming drums or playing out stuff. so my question is do producers like kanye west peter rock, dr dre and known hiphop producers and basical all music producers when they are programming there drums on a mpc or in a daw do they use groove templates on like hihat or kicks for example to give there patterns better groove. or do would they play out the grooves that they want for that instrument instead of a easy template? also it is cheesy or cheap to use groove templates on your drums?

Any thought or advice on this would be great thanks!

What exactly are you talking about? What is a groove template? Like a drum sample? Man, you are being confusing. Just make whatever you want to make. You aren't Dr. Dre or Kanye West or Pete Rock. Just stop trying to bite (copy) other people and make up your own sounds.

Last edited:
Desires right on track...
Just do you...
Im not sure what a groove template is either but some use loops... others play it by hand...
I'm not a fan of loops myself but to each is own...

groove templates (also known as MPC wing or similar) are a tool for shifting your drums into something that is not in lock-step time

some posts I've made over the years that might help you or confuse you (some get very technical, but if you try to follow in your daw it should make sense)

natural-drum-mpc-swing-fruity-loops

natural-drum-mpc-swing-fruity-loops

groove-swing

what-does-quantizing-drums-mean

use percussion

mpc 60 groove

do you have groove swing

swing function fl studio

very basics drum patterns help

filtered bassline swing groove

mpc swing/groove with examples

swing, groove and humanising

secret sauce to humanising

maschine swing vs mpc swing

Last edited:
That question is hard to answer because we don't know them like that :/
Make beats is the best answer I can suggest, you can make your own loops too, it's called bouncing/transforming.
The amen break is free reign.

You can also take some courses in drumming, and you can develop your own percussive style...

Maybe you can try an hybrid approach : make something rigid in programming then play on top of it and after clean inside. No war between the two but only the result matters...

Last edited by a moderator:
sometimes i like to record from a keyboard/mpd, other times i use a mouse. whatever is easier and quicker for the situation..

If the end result sounds good it doesn't really matter how you get there

I myself prefer programming yet I know plenty of others who swear by bashing it out real time on an MPC

I just add mistakes, pulls and pushes until the groove is right there.

Try both

Back