Picking My First Studio Monitors

Barrettboi93

Hey all, Im trying to decide which studio monitors to buy as my first pair, I want to use for mixing mainly, as I've recently brought a SX2 but I also do the odd production here and there. I have a budget of £200 so want to pick up something good for the price .

Hope someone could help
Many thanks
Ricky

I'd save another 100 quid... Yamaha HS-7's - love mine. Good in small to mid-sized rooms (uk)

I used to have a pair of Tannoy Reveals (when they were blue) which were very good too...

Depending on whether you like a bit of extended bass... A lot of UK heads are rockin KRK Rokit-5's - My best mate makes unbelievable stuff and uses them.

JBL LSR305's seem to get a lot of love - I couldn't find a supplier within driving distance...

8-10 inch speakers with no sub or 5 inchers with a sub is a good reference, but headphones should not be slept on at all.
When makin little beats and stuff it helps gauge how it'll sound on other things.

Although beware some systems is too bumpy.

In the majority of bedrooms in the UK 8-10 inch monitors are overkill IMO...
And a sub in an untreated room can be massively problematic...

Last edited:
I've read some stuff about that before. Articles say that the smaller the room the smaller the speakers should be so I opted for 5 inchers months back to replace klipsch and put those in living room which is bigger than bedroom.

Eris is 50hz limit but seem to get more bass when put closer to wall.
klipsch sub boomy as all hell and it's 31hz but I held off another sub because I do not know how the jacks in those work.

Presonus has their own sub but I'm not messin with one of those till I find out if I can use any studio sub with monitors.

Like I'mNoGuru stated, Don't go overkill on this one. Unless u have a full ''isolated & big space'' a good quality 5'' - 6'' set will do, not worth the extra $$ for some ultra high end monitors you wont see the advantages, I dont own myself a crazy budget studio , my home studio is 10x12 and i bought some JBL LSR305's ''paid 220CDN$'' witch i about 170 euros if im right. Well balanced unexpensive set IMO.

I love my yamaha hs 7, uk based. Nice for the sound i want. Wish i got the black ones tho, i grew out of the everything white phase very quickly. lol.
They sound the same as the black ones...

Yeah, HS-7's are a good balance... Best buy I've made since purchasing Maschine!

I use a pair of M-Audio Studiophile BX5s which you can pick up for less than 100 quid. Great little budget monitors that work fine in a small room. The only problem with them is that they have a 50hz cut off. No probs if you combine them with a sub though.

Back