Picking DAWS important? [Beginner]

UnkNowNGenius

So I've been trying out demos for awhile now.

I've been trying Logic,Reason and FL studio.

I like Reason the most and Logic second.

Since I got a windows comp, I gotta cut Logic as a choice out, So its between Reason and FL Studio

I couldn't get FL Studio to work for me, but If I try harder I definitely can, so Reason is my ''favourite'' DAW atm, and now to the main point, is it worth to spend so much money on a DAW as a beginner? Im a total beginner but I feel like my workflow and everything works better in Reason, I learn everything fast with Reason... should I save money for the Reason or just go with FL?

Atm I do not like FL, but it is a decent DAW, I know it, I just gotta watch tons of tutorials to learn it tho...

Also, If I change from a DAW to another later, would it be hard? I mean DAWs are pretty unsimiliar.

Pick a DAW on how the workflow fits yours. I personally LOVE FL and think its one of the easiest to learn. Reason is another great choice. I ended up with Reaper after trying both of those. Try out the Demos and let us know which you like best.

The thing is I like Reason best, but dont have enough money for it yet, I wonder if its better if I just go with FL studio til I get enough money? Or should i save money for Reason now and dont buy nothing else at all

in your situation id just save for reason, no point buying FL and learning it only to dump it after a short time. maybe download reapers demo for now and use that while you gather the cash.

Never force yourself to use a DAW you don't like. That's the worst.

Use Reason if you like it the most.

in your situation id just save for reason, no point buying FL and learning it only to dump it after a short time. maybe download reapers demo for now and use that while you gather the cash.
This! Reason doesn't have scaled back versions like other DAWs (don't know, i don't use it)?

Go with what works for you. Don't get a D.A.W. if you don't like it. It'll just lead you to not making music.

Workflow is almost everything.
Maybe look at an older version of Reason that you can register?
Ebay is a good place to look. An older version will be quite a bit cheaper, and may include an upgrade path.
Here is a link from Props dealing with buying Reason used.

Propellerhead Software

Last edited:
Workflow is almost everything.
Maybe look at an older version of Reason that you can register?
Ebay is a good place to look. An older version will be quite a bit cheaper, and may include an upgrade path.
Here is a link from Props dealing with buying Reason used.

Propellerhead Software

I actually gave FL a try myself and honestly not a big fan. Watched a fair few vids and tutorials on Reason and I think it suits me more. Been saving some money to buy it and now just reading Mattman04 comment, I never even thought to buy it second hand - reading through the props support page now. Thanks dude :)

So really I guess it's what you feel is right for you everyones preferences will be different?

basically use a program that you like and find easy to use, that way you'll have a faster workflow. making things complicated just stresses you out and takes away your creative mood.

sometimes its not about how quick you do something but just being able to do it at all, i just want to add my own experience on this question though

how could the DAW stop you from making music?

i have a usb behringer uca202 which i use to link my mixer to the pc, unfortunately it doesnt have its own asio driver. if i try using this soundcard in FL i cant enable the mixer inputs because they require asio, asio4all only works with the onboard soundcard as far as i know. that means i cant record into FL & makes my soundcard useless with it, however if i fire up reaper and do the same thing it works right away. so i have 2 options, either replace the daw to record or buy a new soundcard.

Never force yourself to use a DAW you don't like. That's the worst.

Use Reason if you like it the most.
This. I use FL for my harder stuff, and Ableton for the softer, prettier stuff. If you don't like VST flexibility and the workflow of FL/others, stick to Reason.

could you please explain this train of thought...

most individuals set a loop i.e. 4 bar loop, load a patch/instrument, play/record a part, go to the next track, load a patch/instrument, play/record a part, go to the next track until the song is finished...

if the music is in you how could the DAW stop you from making music?

another point... i do not care what DAW an individual will use... the "actual" music will be the same... i.e. the user is making the music and not the DAW... the DAW is only a conduit for one thoughts....

It's simple especially with people who are just starting out. They'll get discouraged, they'll find it not fun. That's why it's important to start out with something that works for them. And you've explained it yourself. A D.A.W. is a conduit an instrument for ones thoughts. It's kinda like how I wouldn't throw Jimi Hendrix a trumbone and say "have fun with this even though it's not an instrument you like nor are comfortable with." put it simple a fish is a genius in water, but not when climbing a tree.

I believe in this situation the best thing to do is save for reason. If you are a student, then you can probably take advantage of the student teacher discount and save on the price.

i sort of "feel" where you are coming from... but making music is not fun in my opinon... it takes a lot of work and skill... in my opinion making music is a labor of love... and for beginners to think that making music is fun they are in for a "big" surprise... whatever DAW they choose... put it simple... before any music is made... the concepts of making music "has" to come first i.e. learning how to make music (groove, harmony, melody and secondary melody, the key the song is in, the tempo, what sounds/patches sound good together and the list goes on and on)... and that is not fun!!! actually... time consuming!!! that is where the labor of love comes in!!!

I feel it. That's a lesson a lot of people never get over is that there are gonna be some very non fun moments making music. But at the end of the day you still enjoy it. It still feels right. Thats whats important. Once you get down basics of D.A.W.S you start to not care as much about what D.A.W. you use. However you still tend to gravitate to what you're comfortable with and what works most efficientally with your style of making music.

i personally love FL, but my advice would be go with the DAW you feel most comfortable with and like most, it'll pay off. Don't listen to any of that 'oh don't get that one it's too expensive for you' crap. :P

i believe we are on the same page here... if you take a step back... the way Reason is designed you have the sequencer section, mixer section, and instrument section... it is inherently setup for learning the concepts of making music... it may not fit your "workflow"... but it is a great teaching tool... i will agree... once an individual understands the concepts of making music... music "can" be enjoyable to make... but you have to crawl before you walk...

that is the only point i am trying to make... i.e. do not buy a DAW in the morning and think you are going to be Dr. Dre by night fall!!!! that is not going to happen!!!

I agree a 100% with you right there. It takes time to actually make something good.

Back