phasing

P

phishphan577

on one of the other forums there was a thread about scratch dj's in bands, and someone said that they 'phase'. can someone tell me what phasing is?

phasing, in terms of DJing, is an effect that you can do with two of the same record. you beat match them so they are running at almost, but not quite, the same speed, and play them both at the same time. it creates a kind of echo, and it can be a pretty funky effect if you do it right.

thats what i thought, but when i tried doing it with two ian van dahl records it just sounded like an amateur mix and i had that annoying double bass. i want to learn how to do this cuz it sounds cool so do you have any tips?

You are playing the records too much out of sync. There shouldn't be any heartbeat sound. They have to be at almost the identical places on each. For starters, start out with both at pitch of 0. Play them together from the beginning. Using your finger, push one record or brush the platter while it's spinning just a tiny bit to speed up or slow down one of the records and listen to the master output. Don't do it too much, because there's only a small amount of delay that you have to have to make the echoing sound. Otherwise you'll breeze right by it and won't hear it.

Learn how to do it with the quartz lock on at first. I think that the effect is better if the two are perfectly matched up. That way you can do it longer, and fade it in and out without correcting. I like to phase by leaving one channel on and then panning with the other channel. Give it a try.
-Peasant Nikon

I have two edep house tunes that I really like with identicle drum loops. So I often cut the bass off on the incoming record, then mix it in so that it gives a phase-shifting effect to the high-end of the beat. Sounds really nice. Then you swap the basslines over on the EQ and whoomph. Fantastic. Not an FX unit in sight.

Hmm..im guessing this doesn't sound too good with rap/hip hop...or at least not for me...:(

H20,
It should work fine with hip hop. I primarily manually phase with hip-hop, because the way I often spin (instrumental to vocal) requires me to have two copies of the record. In my opinion, it can sound really cool. People seem to react well to it when I play out. Just get them as close to perfectly aligned as you can and mess around...
-Peasant Nikon

Maybe I am just not understanding correctly.

Basically, you just play the two records together, and get one barely faster or slower than the other, and leave them both on at the same time?

I mean i can do this, it's just i notice no difference in sound.

But again, i only have one pair of the same records so that doesn't leave me much room to try this out with different tracks.

PS...
Peasant Nikon..i would love to hear some of your hip hop mixes if you have any. I never hear many except occasionally a local radio dj will play on air.

Also, what I've noticed listening to that guy is that he always
seems to have 2 copies of EVERY record he plays. Is this something anyone else does? because that seems very pricey to me.

A lot of people buy doubles of their records, not only might this help for phasing but for beat juggling its a must too.

Another thing, besides him having 2 copies of everything.
He always seems to be able to mix a songs intrumental from another song and then bring in the song whos instrumental is playing....
didnt understand that...here

Track A is playing....
Mixes in Track B's Instrumental...
Track B starts..

So, does that mean he has 3 turntables.
He plays Track A, puts Track B's intrumental on, then brings out ANOTHER copy of Track B and switches it over from the intrumental of Track B to the actual Track B.

Hope that made sense.

He does exactly what you said. He plays track A, mixes it into track B's instrumental which is found on many records, and then takes another copy of that track B (which is a duplicate of that previous record) and replaces the record on deck 1 which was previously track A, and then mixes the real track B with the instrumentl of track B.

ok

say you have track A on deck one, and track B(instrumental) on deck two. He mixes track B(instrumental) on deck to with track A on deck one. He lets track B(instrumental) play whle he switches the records on deck one so he has two of the same records on both deck one and two. Then he mixes track B (with words) with track B(instrumental) and then lets track B(with words) play.

H2O, the main reason in hip hop that it's done like that is because there's often no extended intro, as you may know. That way, you can lay down the background, and then cut in the vocals with a scratch, etc or with 4 intro beats without it sounding all f***ed up.

HAHA! Ya i know exactly what you mean with the intro's and outros. It's a pain in the arse. So i may start buying 2 copies of some stuff to mess around with.

sHoe...i never thought of replaceing track A with the actual track B...lol...so he does only have 2 decks...

Wow, and here i was working with 2 bars trying to mix in the next song with the artist talking...sounded horrible.
Does everyone mix hip hop like this?..or just a few.

OR a new solution...

Play Track A..
Mix in track B's intrumental...
replace Track A with Track B and play Track B's accapella over the instrumental which is already playing to allow you to scratch..if you wanted to scratch..

right?

Yeah, that works quite well too. Or, alternatively, like with other shades of music, throw down a separate accapella over the instrumental from a track. Or multiple accapellas in series if you want. You then could easily go from just accapella for a few bars to the next instrumental of yet another song, if you beat match it quickly.

Then comes the creativity.....

Geesh..2 copies of every record here i come..lol...

Back