People Who Have Used Ableton and Pro Tools

I'm doing some mixing for some friends using Ableton at the moment because it's what I have. I am using mostly eq's, delays, reverb, and compression. Is there anything that Pro Tools has that Ableton does not? I know I should get Pro Tools and blah blah blah but I'm working with what I have. Is there a particular feature specific to Pro Tools that made it become the industry standard?

---------- Post added 01-21-2012 at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-18-2012 at 04:03 PM ----------

Nothing guys?

If you can't do everything you want to do with what you have, then get something else. Otherwise, you're fine. There's nothing standard about Pro Tools. It's not any more industry standard as other DAW's.

The only advantage Pro Tools had was the hardware processing boards. But this only applies to Pro Tools HD systems; so for the most part, what big studios had was not the Pro Tools LE people had at home. Nowadays, you can get fast computers and third-party hardware processing boards without spending 10k+ for an entry-level PTHD system.

I would have went with Pro Tools if I wanted to have problems collaborating with other DAW users, have limited tracks, wait realtime for exports, and pay for extras that were standard on other DAW's. I don't know if Pro Tools can do realtime exports now, or if they still limit the track count. I don't know if they have PTLE .omf support. But there's just too many things PTLE systems took so long to integrate until now.

I'm obviously biased. Do your research. Don't make a purchase based on the name. There's tons of good alternatives out there, Ableton being one of them.

Back