PCI Sound Cards and USB Audio Interfaces

djyungstylez

I've been doing alot of research and reading but not getting a clear understanding of the two. I really need some help!!!!!

I have a HP Desktop with 4G Ram, and Also have a Dell Inspiron 4110 with 6G Ram.
I'm not going to do any recording, no need for a microphone.
My main concern is good quality on my mix, which will provide the best processing on my final mix-down. Also, which will process the sound best and provide the best output on my KRK monitors.
So whats my best option, should I use PCI card or usb interface for my desktop or should I just use the laptop and go USB.

USB or PCI are just the different busses which are being used on how to connect the card and have no impact on sound quality (unless the bus is being overloaded).. audio quality depends mainly on the AD/DA converters and other hardware (i.e. capacitors) that are used inside the interface..

the advantage of the USB is that you can use it for both, laptop and standalone PC if you want/need to.. whereas getting the PCI card into a laptop might get a bit tricky ;)

the eventual decision should be made depending on the quality of converters and required inputs/outputs/features..

The only difference you might see between these options are possibly latency. I think nowadays the latency is relatively the same, but if there's any advantages it would probably be best latency with PCI interfaces (then Firewire, then USB). But i think this moreso depends on which brand interface you purchase and how good the drivers are.

Back