paying to have rappers rap over your beats.. wtf?

there is that aspect which makes sense, just like paying a rapper to rap on another's song...........but the problem is, there is always someone willing to do **** like that for hopeful notoriety........it will happen on video games soon enough, if i got a song in gta4, which sold like 5 mill in a week, i can see no problem paying for a placement...........but god forbid a rapper likes the beat and still wants money, then many sampling beat makers are screwed........it can almost come down to pay or get no credit since you most likely don't have the legal authority to copyright it.........

sometimes i wanna beat my samplers for being gateway drugs, but then i also wanna bang them cause we make beautiful music together.........

just be smart, a lot of times you gotta spend to make, but don't give dylan 100 bucks to do anything but let you spit all over him

futuredood said:
i kinda see what you saying... like if one were to put together a compilation cd, you better pay the artist to get on that compilation. i guess that works.... that's very shady though on an artists end to crap on a ****ty producer though. for a big name producer, i doubt any rapper would do that or risk a bad rep in the industry. ie if j dilla put out a cd and wanted a bunch of artists featured on it, i dont think they'd charge dilla to drop a verse down would they?

also on another note, i wasn't puttin together the compilation but passing out beats to be worked on there own album. so, two diff situations, though i see your point in the situation i listed earlier.

word. yah they are diff. situations for sure; it would be totally F'd up for them to charge you and then use your beat on their CD. not so terrible in the example I was thinkin of. who knows we can only speculate what the label was thinkin when they said that

in the j dilla example you are totally right. I doubt the artist would charge him like you are saying. The artist would get their money on royalties from the sales of the CD. J Dilla being a big name would surely sell enough copies to make it worth their while.

in the example I was talkin about... since they don't know you, they'd probably charge just to ensure they get paid at all.

another possibility I was thinkin is the label tells them who to use for beats which I have heard of. I mean they give producer's advancements on royalties too soo I don't doubt it.. saying "the artist doesn't buy beats" sounds a lot more big time then "the label tells us who to buy beats from"

I'm sure you are making bangers for them to even respond at all. stay at it mang.

the record labels give beat makers advancements?.........you sure?.......publishers do that to contracted artists....but advancements from a label comes outta the artist advance and are more likely a one time thing depending on who the producer is...........that might have been what you were saying though, cause they give you money as a loan to make an album..........labels do assign producers to some though, usually ashley simpson

I used to have a problem with this, but with age, I've gained wisdom on this topic...Best case scenario is that the artist will fall in love with you track and do it for free...

reality is that you have to encourage them to get involved...Money is the best motivator, especially in these harder times...Think about it; a known artist does more for you than you do for him...You are using his "brand," which took hard work, time, money, effort to build--Can't expect to just sit down at this man's table and eat off his plate for nothing...

What's wrong with it??

If you're paying a hot rapper to make your production look good (or better), what's the problem??

Remember, hot rappers make wack beats sound good.

Last edited:
Freebeezy said:
the record labels give beat makers advancements?.........you sure?.......publishers do that to contracted artists....but advancements from a label comes outta the artist advance and are more likely a one time thing depending on who the producer is...........that might have been what you were saying though, cause they give you money as a loan to make an album..........labels do assign producers to some though, usually ashley simpson

yah mang. I read it on a legal advice site that covers what points should be in a contract. it specifically mentioned advancements for producers. it did say for new producers to the game the advancement could be $0 up to $3500 or something like that

a while back I read Scott Storch gets $100,000 up front and 4-5% mechanical royalties per beat on an album. it did not specify if that 100k was a straight up fee or an advancement though.

I used to have a problem with this, but with age, I've gained wisdom on this topic...Best case scenario is that the artist will fall in love with you track and do it for free...

reality is that you have to encourage them to get involved...Money is the best motivator, especially in these harder times...Think about it; a known artist does more for you than you do for him...You are using his "brand," which took hard work, time, money, effort to build--Can't expect to just sit down at this man's table and eat off his plate for nothing...

I co-sign I was tryin to say that but you covered it way better then me.. haha. thats real!

Back