Panasonic to drop the 1200's?

N

ninjadog

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/45075/Technics_is_dead

I'm hoping this is just a rumor, but what if? Seems there is just a lot of confusion going around and no official word. At first I was all worried, but then I got to thinking it wouldent be much of a big deal if they did stop production. They last forever, have a huge fan base, tons of spare parts, and knowledge around to keep them ship shape. Not to mention there are other turntables made for dj's that equal or surpass technics in every way but durability.
IMO the ones and twos will never die. And wont affect dj culture all that much except maybe become even more legendary.

Lies, Its all coming from Australia. I'll believe it when Panasonic says it.

End of an era if they are being discontinued! But as you say there are plenty of turntables around that can surpass the 1200's! Now may be the time to purchase some to keep hold of while that price goes up.
Hope they aren't dead tho! Will have to do a special tribute mix in their honour maybe?

Lol, they shouldn't have made them so durable; once you have a set of 1200's you won't likely need another. It's like those Stride Gum commercials.

This is one of those things where it doesn't make sense to me. Then again I can't see the big picture from an executive office at Panasonic in a time where people aren't buying a lot of stuff.

I just don't get it. Even non-DJ's know Technics are the standard for vinyl, and they have a huge and loyal customer base within the DJ community that is growing again thanks to Serato/DVS and other factors.

Maybe they're just not selling. What do 99% of DJ's tell young beginners to get for their first set-up?

Used 1200's.

They're probably having a hard time competing with their own products.

Back