Opinions on Hip Hop/Rap using EDM (electronic dance music) in their beats?

xermane

I am Xermane, a dubstep producer from NYC. I have noticed that a lot of rappers have been using a lot of electronic influences and doing collabs with Electronic producers (David Guetta, LMFAO, Skrillex etc.) I personally like it, being a edm producer myself. What do you guys think?
I also made a Dubstep track including Rappers. Youtube this to find the track... Xermane-Hooked On Shocka,
Let me know what you think?

Whats good Im Majestic, I stay down towards miami. Me personally I have always loved to hear electro or dubstep fused with hiphop. I like it because I love both hip hop and music in general. I always said I need that one good electro song, for the clubs down here. Miami is a gold mine for electronic music. My homey took me to a house club down here many have heard of it called Space. I got there about 2 or 3 I almost fell asleep, They don't close till noon. It looks way different when you see people at 11 am leaving from a club.

As much as I love electronic music and hip-hop, this music is a no go for me. Big budget production with a pop-dance beat just isn't hip-hop to me. I grew up on 90's stuff produced by guys like K-Def, Marley Marl, Nick Wiz, El-P, Havoc, and Rza. I'm 27 but I guess I'm just too old-fashioned for this.

I am digging the hip-hop/dubstep fusion though. Your track especially since it has that real underground feel. As long as dudes don't let it get so poppy sounding this will be a dope scene.

Last edited:
Its fine to fuse genres, but I just hate it when everybody jumps the bandwagon.

This I agree with...I like it depending how its done...there's got to be some balance in the production...or if you want it to be more of a hip hop beat with electronic elements...but I really don't want to hear a 80% electronic 20% hip hop beat with somebody rapping over it...it just taints my vision and cant paint the picture of the song as to a standard hip hop beat...but once it gets over saturated with it its gonna turn into a hate...not original thing.

I am Xermane, a dubstep producer from NYC. I have noticed that a lot of rappers have been using a lot of electronic influences and doing collabs with Electronic producers (David Guetta, LMFAO, Skrillex etc.) I personally like it, being a edm producer myself. What do you guys think?
I also made a Dubstep track including Rappers. Youtube this to find the track... Xermane-Hooked On Shocka,
Let me know what you think?

Hank Shocklee (The Bombsquad / Public Enemy) says it best... and I agree....

I produce mostly Hip Hop and Drum & Bass ... I find drum and bass works really well with hip hop and lyrics. Drum and bass is basically double the bpm of hip hop. So it fits well. Some people just can't hear that and they think its too fast .. :|

Have a listen. I remixed Wale's - "Ice Cream Girl" into a Drum & Bass vibe.

@kensinomusic

Last edited:
Back