Once upon a time...MTV was cool and supported real hip hop

im1ufo

No joke...anyone else around here old enough to remember this?

I didn't always have cable as a kid so I always made sure to watch as much MTV as I could while at a friend's house haha

MTV is now a 'reality' tv network and not many rappers know how to put on a live show anymore....they should all take some notes- i decided to go with '92 for both of the videos I'm posting.

THIS IS HOW YOU BRING ENERGY TO A STAGE:

PREMIER AND GURU RIPPING SHIT UP:

Last edited:
Saw this on a sticker in my friend's studio..

"Kids today don't even know that they don't know what they're missing."

MTV was great. For those who have only seen the reality-teen version of the channel... they used to play wall-to-wall music. Thousands of artists, not 5.

MTV wasn't just playing Nirvana in '91....I remember the first time I heard Cypress Hill...never heard anything so raw before. Would soon discover Wu-Tang after this :)

Damn this beat is nice

Now that I think about it.....around this time Cypress Hill appeared on stage with the Beastie Boys performing the song I linked to in the first post...On the Arsenio Hall show haha

Even DJ Hurricane was rapping in this performance haha

2 groups representin that nasal style :)

---

------ Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

No East Coast/West Coast bullshit there....everyone on that stage is all about EMCEEING

Last edited:
MTV use to run television...honestly, they need innovative minds manipulating it :(

This is how the BBoy's feel things have evolved in the decades since....

TOO MANY RAPPERS (NOT ENOUGH EMCEES)

"Yo, I been in the game since before you was born
I might still be emceein' even after you're gone
Strange thought, I know, but my skills still grow
The 80's, the 90's, 2000's, and so"

Last edited:
Once upon a time.....MTV (MUSIC Television) supported music. The only music I see AT ALL nowadays is at the end of a show rolling thru the end credits or their crappy weekend morning music video shows, which by the way only show like half the song. smh.

I heard they're going to change the name of MTV also...

they said people are no longer interested in watching countdown type of shows and music vids 24/7

They have those reality shows but I heard they're going to have "real" shows... that young people want to watch.

They forgot about Hip Hop a long time ago, lol. Now it's something they put in on Sunday just to keep the carrot dangling for the people that remember stuff like the stuff in this thread.

People have gravitated to tube sites for their music needs... people aren't going to sit through a whole song they don't like on a countdown, they're going to change the channel but a show that's moving along might keep them on the channel.

Notice that they started to put on MMA fights (Bellator), they know what they're doing. MMA fighting doesn't cost much right now because the orgs need the networks to show the fights unlike the NFL... the networks need NFL. MTV is making lifelong viewers by watching upcoming trends. MMA fighting will overtake a bunch of sports in about 5 -10 years. There's nobody in the WORLD! that can watch one of the good fights and then stop watching.

MTV STARTED REALITY SHOWS... they also started music countdowns.... their track record shows that they're normally out front ahead of everyone else.

As far as MTV Raps... there were no people in my demographic back then outside when YO! MTV Raps was on.... it was THE ONLY place you could see Hip Hop artists. If I wanted to see a Hip Hop artist now.... I'd just go to his website or WSHH.

Last edited:
No joke...anyone else around here old enough to remember this?

I didn't always have cable as a kid so I always made sure to watch as much MTV as I could while at a friend's house haha

MTV is now a 'reality' tv network and not many rappers know how to put on a live show anymore....they should all take some notes- i decided to go with '92 for both of the videos I'm posting.

And once upon a time, MTV didn't even recognize hip hop as a musical ART FORM.

In fact, there were times where MTV WOULDN'T PLAY THE MUSIC OF ANY BLACK ARTIST. If you were BLACK or made BLACK MUSIC, you COULD NOT GET YOUR VIDEO ON MTV.

Michael Jackson couldn't even get his video's played on MTV.

Now does anyone remember THAT?

In fact, there were times where MTV WOULDN'T PLAY THE MUSIC OF ANY BLACK ARTIST. If you were BLACK or made BLACK MUSIC, you COULD NOT GET YOUR VIDEO ON MTV.

How about no black music on radio. PERIOD! It was a pirate radio station that broke the doors open to American radio. I believe they were from Canada. Or something like that.

Anyway, Boom Bap, Hip Hop is moving on. Stay behind if you wish though.

Nowadays rappers are rapping over anything: Country, Soul, Ballads, Indie rock, rock etc. etc.

I agree MTV is pretty despicable

However it did start out as a rock oriented station

Run DMC's success on Rock Radio ensured them as hip hop's first to get regular play on MTV

This was happening at the same exact time the Beastie Boys were making the jump from punk rock to hip hop.

It has to be more than just coincidence that Run DMC and the Beastie Boys enjoyed longer careers than anyone else to come out of the Early 80's

Maybe all this racism was why N.W.A. was always sampling the Beastie Boys? Can somebody say SELLOUTS? haha j/k

Like the B-Boy's and Run DMC, musicians would again flirt with combining rock and rap...with HORRIBLE results AKA 'Nu-Metal'

There was an apology in the lyrics of the B-Boy's song Alive :

"Created a monster with these rhymes I write, goatee metal rap please say goodnight"

Last edited:
Before Yo MTV Raps, you never heard Hip Hop music on the radio, even on black stations except on the weekends between 1am and 3am. Sometimes they would have an all Hip Hop Saturday when they would play Hip Hop music the whole day but other than that you had to find Hip Hop music.
Peace be with you............Rob Mixx

I agree MTV is pretty despicable

However it did start out as a rock oriented station

Run DMC's success on Rock Radio ensured them as hip hop's first to get regular play on MTV

This was happening at the same exact time the Beastie Boys were making the jump from punk rock to hip hop.

It has to be more than just coincidence that Run DMC and the Beastie Boys enjoyed longer careers than anyone else to come out of the Early 80's

Maybe all this racism was why N.W.A. was always sampling the Beastie Boys? Can somebody say SELLOUTS? haha j/k

Like the B-Boy's and Run DMC, musicians would again flirt with combining rock and rap...with HORRIBLE results AKA 'Nu-Metal'

There was an apology in the lyrics of the B-Boy's song Alive :

"Created a monster with these rhymes I write, goatee metal rap please say goodnight"

No...MTV didn't cater to one genre or another. MTV played the new format of the day, which was MUSIC VIDEOS.

They played a bunch of stuff. Some Rock, some Pop, some of everything.

Michael Jackson was VERY POP when he first came out. He didn't fit into R&B. He didn't fit into Soul. He was as white pop as it could get.

MTV JUST DIDN'T PLAY BLACK MUSIC.

And idk where you're from, but radio was definitely playing hip hop in the 80's.

And idk where you're from, but radio was definitely playing hip hop in the 80's.

I never said there was no hip hop on the radio in the 80's

It's funny you ask me where I'm from though...because I'm from Wisconsin lol There was never anything to do here...I played sports, video games, and during all of this and at all times of the day I was consuming music in all forms. There probably wasn't any hip hop on the radio until close to 1990 for the most part.

I was lucky enough to have a cousin to introduce me to hip hop I wouldn't have heard otherwise.
The first hip hop album I'd ever heard ironically was LL Cool J's RADIO
smile.png

I'm glad you brought up Michael Jackson....I was listening to him at the age of 3. I had no idea Thriller was on MTV...I didn't have cable back then. My uncle did have it on VHS though and I cried after watching it the first time....but then immediately wanted to watch it again haha My dad also had this shit on vinyl along with your typical classic rock stuff like Floyd, Led Zep, and the Beatles.

220px-Michaeljacksonthrilleralbum.jpg

Attachments

• portable-cassette-recorder.jpg
    portable-cassette-recorder.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I don't remember much but I seen clips from youtube. It's YO MTV RAPS. BET THE BASEMENT. Tv to me was better in the 90's especially the music and cartoons.

Last edited:
Damn, I remember when I used to run my *ss home to my cousin to watch MTV. I asked my mom to stay at his house overnight, just so we could watch YO! MTV Raps!

We used to clean the room, play cardgames, do everything with the TV turned on MTV, so we would catch on the next new rap video as soon as it came out.

Nowdays I hear a new Rick Ross or Lil Wayne track and Im not even that interested anymore.

Back