Omg Is This Some Kind of Joke: Propellerhead Reason 7

Majestic Mastermind

Eat, Sleep, Breathe MUSIC
I've been using Reason 5 since like 2010. Loved it's workflow and modular environment, and rack. I thought Reason 7 would be kool since it had rack extensions, integrated recycle, midi out, etc. So I went and tried out the demo and oh man what a ugly sight.

That new SSL Mixer console takes up almost HALF of the entire screen. Not only that but you literally have to scroll around to see different parts of the mixer..even with most of it folded down. The rack is now extra cluttered with mix channels.

Coming from Reason 5 this seemed like a major workflow killer. The entire program feels like it was made for a widescreen t.v. or something.

What you think about Reason 7's workflow?

Last edited:
what you complain about has been part of record since the same time as reason 5 and part of reason itself since reason 6

yes it is designed for a different viewing environment but it really is not a big deal other than getting used to the extra bits of manipulating the screen views.

don't forget (or maybe this is news) that you can detach the mixer and the rack so that you can have three different views of the software that you can cycle between sequencer/rack/mixer

haven't got to 7 as yet - don't have the computer power to cope right now and reason 6.5 is doing just fine for what I need it for......, but once I get my next gen computer will be buying this as a matter of course......

Yeah. It's better if you detach and maximize each of the windows and use F5, F6, and F7. to switch between them.

I have a bunch of monitors, though, so I just give each section its own monitor:
Rack gets the left monitor. Sequencer gets the middle monitor. Mixer gets the right monitor. Tools window and EQ window get the top monitor.

There are some things that are fun to do in Reason, and some things that are a PITA.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Use Function keys to switch between screens man. you'll find that you like the new mixer a lot better than having to set one up in the rack. so much cleaner. being able to add FX to the channels in the mixer is a huge step up too. oh and the equalizer that pops up for whatever instrument you have selected makes life easier too.

I'm glad yall like it fellas lol, but Reason 7 is not for me. The work environment is too different from Reason 5.

I feel my new setup is better. Now I only need Studio One and 1 sampler vst device and 1 drum vst device. This makes life "real" simple.

I'm glad yall like it fellas lol, but Reason 7 is not for me. The work environment is too different from Reason 5.

I feel my new setup is better. Now I only need Studio One and 1 sampler vst device and 1 drum vst device. This makes life "real" simple.

I don't use Reason much -- I picked it up mostly for compatibility with a major client's projects.
Once I picked it up, though, I went through 26 hours worth of video training in order to become familiar with every nook and cranny. I'm comfortable with the workflow simply because of that.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Reason 7 is my favorite version. I use a lot of external Midi instruments and being able to control them in the software has allowed me a lot of flexibility. I have had no issue with the SSL Mixer. I just hit F5 and let it take up my entire screen. I really only need to see the entire mixer when I start mixing. Otherwise I just use the channel strips that appear above each instrument. The rack extensions are also another great feature. you can run a lot of them and still have tons of CPU to continue working.

unlike previous versions you can now send MIDI out in addition to audio out which means that you can in theory route it to a standalone vst or vst inside a vst-host and take the audio out and feed that back in to Reason - i.e. no need to rely on a 3rd party daw to finalise a project simply because you want certain things to happen

add to that that you also have the ability to record and edit audio natively inside of reason 6+, you are on a winner

F5, F6, F7 are your friends.

I know it could be kind of weird at first. I went from Reason 4 to Reason 7. I was a bit intimidated. So i just started from the bottom. I tried to forget everything I knew and read through the entire manual. Yes every single page. Took me about a week lol. After that, it started to look and feel natural to me. I'm not saying do what I did, but give it a try. It might help you get used to it.

Last edited:
Back