Old-school Memphis/Motown ballad arrangements

DSmolken

A girl I work with has written a slow song that we want to try giving a real old-school soul vibe, like "Ain't No Sunshine" or something in that territory. I have pretty good orchestral samples (Miroslav Philharmonik 2 plus my own cello and double bass samples) and we also have a cellist who plays live with us, so I think I got the tools to pull this off.

So, any tips or examples of arrangements that we could follow? Miroslav's 14-violin section is probably too big especially since playing a three-finger chord will make it 42 violins, and the solo violins all have too much vibrato to make a smaller ensemble from multiple layers, so it won't quite nail the sound, but I think we can get close enough to the general vibe.

Here's a track we did a few months ago with a funk-inspired acoustic sound. For this new song we want to go more soulful and more old-school, but not totally trying to make everything sound like it was recorded in the 1960s with equipment that existed at the time.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check that out - I'm trying to understand what they did and how, and then try to capture a similar vibe with the tools I have on hand. So an interview like that should be very helpful.

Back