Novation Automap. Templates vs MIDI controller maps?

Ninjazz

Unfortunately I'm finding Automap to be just an added layer of complexity on top of MIDI. What for example is the difference between saving a template and saving a MIDI Controller Map profile? How come I cannot seem to assign Kong pads (Reason 5) to the SL pads as there seems to be no note on function for the pads on the keyboard? What's the point of Automap if the mapped layout (for example, assigning software faders to the keyboards pots instead of the more obvious physical fader controls) doesn't work for you and you have to remap the whole layout anyways? If using the Reason Automap profile is no longer necessary as you can control Reason with Automap Universal then what is the current use of the Automap (#34 I believe) for Reason? Finally, what on earth is the Automap MIDI Client and how does it differ from other Automap modes?

Yeah I read the manual but this whole Automap business is confusing and I'm just lost in it. Any help appreciated.

How come I cannot seem to assign Kong pads (Reason 5) to the SL pads as there seems to be no note on function for the pads on the keyboard?

You assign your SL pads to send notes using the keyboard's menus themselves, not the automap software.

What's the point of Automap if the mapped layout (for example, assigning software faders to the keyboards pots instead of the more obvious physical fader controls) doesn't work for you and you have to remap the whole layout anyways?

Not sure how this works in Reason, but in a standard DAW with VST plugins, you set up your mapping however you like, save as default, and then it will always start mapped that way from then on. Creating your own maps the way you like each plugin to be set up is part of the fun of Automap. If you're too lazy for that, Novation's website has an area where you can download mappings that other people have made, and maybe those mappings will make more sense to you.

Yeah I read the manual but this whole Automap business is confusing and I'm just lost in it. Any help appreciated.

I would highly recommend selling your SL and grabbing a more basic MIDI controller if the SL requires too much thought -- or just don't use Automap mode. Some people just get it, and some people just don't.

Last edited:
i had trouble with automap as well. i have it set up just fine in reason (mostly), but with sonar x1 its a pain in the ass.
i wanted to assign my master mixer channel to sliders on my SL. i contacted both novation support and cakewalk and they both said its not possible.

had i known that before i spent my money, i wouldnt fool with either of them...well at least sonar. i actually like the SL

the manual has very very little of anything useful and it seems no website is up to date with sonar x1 or any automap past 3

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. So if I create a Control Map, save as default, then I guess I'd have to save the whole session as an automap in order to save a different Control Map as default in a new session?

Back