Notable differences between sampling from vinyl and using a digital file like MP3?

Vesey619

I have a record player I use for sampling but I kinda feel like an idiot because if I just got the songs as MP3s I wouldn't need any extra equipment or anything. Is there much of a difference between sampling from wax and using a digital file?

if you sample from vinyl to mp3 then no there is no difference;

if you sample from vinyl to wav then then there is a marked difference in the end quality and therefore a marked difference in the final quality you can achieve in any project that use these files in

So if I'm ripping it from vinyl than it really isn't making a difference? Or am I doing it wrong somehow?

I have a turntable, a few records, ableton, and audacity. I usually get it to play through the computer than record the playback to play around with the sample. Am I doing something wrong?

Well vinyl is a uncompressed source, a single sound would probably not have a noticeable difference compared to a mp3 file, but if you build a whole track from mp3 samples it sometimes sound flat.
I only sample vinyl but im no purist, i love the adventure of diggin for records and it helps me find shit i wouldnt discover on the internet.
Do you basically.

Im a MPC guy so im not 100% on the sample-chain thats optimal for a software man but someone else will hopefully fill you in on that.

you both miss the point - vinyl itself is not a problem and is a decent enough source - it is no more compressed than any other source.

however, an mp3 file even at best possible bitrate is going to be 1/4 the quality of the equivalent stereo wav file. it will also be compromised in terms of frequency reproduction as mp3 uses a file compression algorithm that discards information based on an psycho-acoustic model that incorporates the concept of frequency masking and shadowing

more bluntly: mp3 does not offer the best possible source for material, nor does it afford you the best storage format for long term reuse. it is fine for end-reproduction, but not for intermediate audio processing/production tasks.

If I were sampling a vinyl recording fresh, I would save the result as a wav or aiff file to maintain the best quality.

How can i have missed the point when you said The exact same thing? - vinyl is better qualify than mp3 since mp3s are basically compressed files.

no I said working from vinyl by sampling to wav/aiff is better than mp3: not the same thing.......

Back