Noob frustrated with sound design

I'm gonna chime in and drop my thoughts on learning sound design. For me, it's been a long journey. I too still get frustrated with the results I get and it is always a long and tedious process. Not just long and tedious, but a very experimental process. The best way to learn how to make the sounds you want is to adapt to the synths you use, which basically means play with them all the time lol. This is definitely not going to be the answer you want to hear but you only get better with time. As mitchiemasha has said, a month is nowhere near enough experience with sound design.

It's best to play around with basic synths first before diving into super complex synths right away. This is so you can ease yourself into the sound design process and not be so overwhelmed by the vast amount of features a synth can carry. I will say that for making sounds, try to get as close as possible to the sound you want, then add external effects to the sound in order to get even closer, or until you get what you want. Sometimes it'll be that you aim for one thing and it turns out to be something else entirely, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. Getting as much knowledge about the synth can help, but it can also make you wonder why you still can't get the sound you want (at least in my experience lol). SeamlessR has great tutorials on sound design, so if you haven't looked into him you definitely should. He helped me out quite a lot :D

Just have fun! Getting frustrated can only make things worse, so if you find yourself falling down a hole, reset your synth to the default patch and try again ;)

Back