Newbies: Learn to beatmatch FAST using this technique

The way

Let's be honest here, anyone who has ever played at a party, at least here in chicago, knows the bpms of each record. After you find these out (using your computer, you can download lots of progz to do this for you), it is pretty simple to figure out how much you need to adjust the pitch in order to make them the same bpm. Pitch is a % adjustment. Therefore if your record is 140 bpm@0%, 10% of that would be 14bpm. So that means you have a + - 14beats window to work with. Anyone can figure this out. Once you have the BPMs the same, all you have to do is match them up. Let me tell you, if you know the bpms are the same, it is much less likely to trainwreck than if you were doing it by ear. If you use math instead of intuition, it will pay off the beats will not move away from each other.

ya that will work for awhile maybe but you dont wanna depend on bpming. what if you go to play a set and the club wants you to spin something that they have and you dont know the bpm. if you have the ear you can hear how close they are and can match it quick. i can beatmatch a song in 10 sec. depending on how close the beats start. but its all up to your taste.;)

Merc. i know what you mean man.

true

I totally agree with what tulip said. I wouldn't have a clue about the bpm of my records and I don't care about that. If you want to dj by bpm you should do it on mp3.

vinyl djing is about feel and groove, not math. anyways, even if you mathematically set the beats, one record could be spinning at say, 140, but the other could be spinning at 140.4, so they're gonna move anyways.

the beats will always move and a good dj is prepared and ready to adjust when necessary. How does he do this? I've never seen a dj take out his pocket calculator and do a few calculations.........they do it by EAR. knowing which record is faster or slower and adjusting it as necessary. I don't think anyone should rely on the bpm counters on mixers either, try to use one and you'll know what I'm talking about.

If you ever want to be a good dj, there are NO shortcuts. just PRACTICE.

P.s I'm not trying to dis anyones opinions, and really everyone has their own way of djing, so the best advice anyone can give is to try everything and do what works best for you!!!

FIL:D

ok heres what i do.....
when live is playing i just turn on the second turntable(not live) hehe.... then i realised how easy it is just to use the pitch control,,, bwahha
then i turn off the non live deck...bring it back to the first beat, at this point i havent touch the plater yet....
ok then i listen to live deck and count the beat 1234
1234 1234,,, then start the non live deck,,,
ok most of the time im a little early or late so ... at this point i touch the label to push it to speed or slow it down.... then voila,,,,,, i swear to god after tryin advanced beatmatching ,,, i can now easily keep them running for a long time at the same time.... and my beatmatching is 75% pecent improved...
in summary, ive been practising for about 10 hours total, because i didnt have my own mixer two weeks ago and just got my amp this friday......
i can pretty mmuch say that i can beatmatch in about 20 seconds using advanced......but yeah, u do have to touch the label or platter once u got them lock up .. i mean when u throw in the second deck sometimes u dont get the count right and when u listen to the headphones u can tell, and u know the pitch are on the right place ,,, so all u need to do is push or pull the platter or label to line the beats up.....
yeah... pretty much what merc said bwahhaha..
im just sayin i improved about 75%
one more ,,,, so how am i dong so far??? 10 hours total practice, about 20-30 seconds to beatmatch

I can say that I am still a newbie, I've been learning for a little over a year and have tried just about every method everyone has listed. The one thing that I know for sure is that I really started to improve when I started practicing 2+ hours a day. Do whatever is more comfortable to you and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Also, I record my sessions once a week and then listen to them while I'm at the gym. This has also really helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would agree it is most beneficial RECORD everything if you can, even if you are just messing around. You never know when you will crank out that killer set! It does help you improve your style, beatmatching, and most importantly track selection and order. (Why did I play THAT one?)

The hardest thing (IMO) for a new DJ is to decide WHICH tracks to play and what ORDER to play them in. You could be the best beatmatcher in the world, but if you don't pick tracks that sound well together, or know which tracks to play after one another, the mix will die completely. Even if you are switching over to a decent track, if it has absolutely no flow with the previous one, the mix is dead. I'm no pro (workin on it :D) but I do spend most of my time playing random things together to hear what they sound like, sorting and organizing my collection into various sets that sound well together, and not worrying too much about matching the beats.
And don't be afraid to improvise! The absolute best sounding stuff comes when you throw random records on that you never thought would sound good together.

i think everybody has to find out with technique works best.
i like to set record 2 faster then the one that's playing and slow it down till it's the same

I set both records/cds to 0.0% then I correct the speed. well this works best for me! But sometimes I hear to track 1 and then to track 2, so I can hear the difference and know how to pitch (+ or -)!

I'm a newbie but to all other newbies out there ... when starting to match the beats don't use any helpers like bpm counters ore beat-leds on your mixer. I have beat leds and when I don't mask (is that the right word?)them I only look at those leds. It is more easy to hear the difference then seeing the difference.

cYa
MAZ

Back