New way to DJ/Perform with APC40

Casas

Ok dudes, tell me what you think. I spent some days thinking about how to get more freedom when you're playing your own songs. When the song is all ready, you are limited to effects, beat repeat, samples and mixing with other songs. But I wanted to be able to change the ARRANGEMENT of the song, so I made this setup:

Casas - Refracted (Live performance) - YouTube

I'll explain how I did it: the 26 tracks or so that I used to produce the song were transformed into 8 tracks, the 8 columns that you see on the APC40. Those are:

1- Kick
2- Other percussion elements
3- Bass
4- Chords/Pads/Strings
5- Arps/Strings (some chords here when I needed space)
6- Bass Breaks
7- Mid-tone Breaks
8- Wind/effects.

I rendered stems and chopped them, placing each part of the song in a different button. This way, I can put elements where they weren't on the original song. The video that you see is me playing the song exactly as I wrote it, but you can imagine how much stuff I can change on it.

So, tell me what you think about this setup, also tell me what you think about the song, if you will. Thanks for your time! Feedback is really important to me.

Cheers

Very cool. I like your concept, I like the sounds you chose/sampled a lot too. Nice solid drums without being over-powering/distorted (not in a good way; you know how some folks overdo it).

Great performance. If you DJ with other people's material as well (CD's, digital files, whatever), I'd love to see how you integrate your Ableton performance with other music.

GJ

Hey man, I can't post links, but google a guy called Tom Cosm and find his video on making what he calls megasets in Ableton, it's basically what you've done here though it might help with the process seeing how he does it, but check it out and see :) but you have done an awesome job in the making and performing, plus you've got a pretty sweet song too! I like it!

I am curious too though, how would/could you do this with someone elses song without stems? You probably dont know the answer yourself haha but I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried

Back