New to the Forum, need help! MV-8800 or MPC5000

the only 2 advantages the fantom has is more factory sounds but alot of them dont sound good and a sampler. seriously and in all realness they korg has 99% useable sounds. you can edit the sounds better on the korg. touch screen better effects. the keybed is better also. the strings on the fantom suck i mean litterally all of them are bad. i am regrettig that i didnt just buy a motif instead of the fantom

The MVs timing is spot on. The problem is that it offers different types of timing not found in an mpc which only has a swing percentage so ppl who weren't used to how the timing worked immediately judged it as bad timing, most of the time its from ppl leaving the quantize on without knowing how it worked.

Download the mv manual and you'll see what I'm talking about.

seriously thinking about jumping ship to the 8800 tons of features that my 2000xl dont have. editing is like a daw i am impressed. now all i am worried about the tightess of the sequencer. mpc sequencer is tighter then baby pussy.

The MV's sequencer is "tighter" then all mpc's except for the 4000 cause it had 960ppq. and the MV has 480ppq

The reason ppl love the mpc's sequencer cause it actually wasn't that "tight", it had 96ppq meaning you could still play off beat and it will still sound good.(when quantize/timing correct is on). The higher you go up in resolution the more it exposes your off timing. But for real though what sequencer isn't tight?? Any sequencer you use would be "tight" or on beat as long as you know how to work it.

When it comes down to making hip-hop, r&b, dance music etc, threes no need for 960ppq or even 480ppq.

I'm telling you man the MV's the shit, akai mpc's are just hype. The only great mpc was the 4000( IMO) .

who me? have u messed with the mv? those are the advices i wanna know. but i feel bad duping the 2000xl i really do we been thru heartaches and breakups. i am so confused. the daw like sequencer is what is selling me on it.

Do you need a workstation or a sampler/midi sequencer? The mv is a workstation the 4000 is a sampler/midi sequencer.

The 4000 is like having a akai z series sampler with pads thats all it really is and it only works with midi, meaning you'd have to use it along side a cpu or stand alone recorder for vocals and such. You could get vocals sequenced by sampling it in, this is what my friend does but its tedious.

The mv is sampler, multi track recorder, and synthesiser, workstation (Its not a moog or anything but you get some interesting results by tweaking) . It combines midi and audio something that no mpc can do except for the 5000. The only other workstation that combines midi and audio is a fantom g.

A feature that no mpc(to my knowledge) has is linear recording, The mv combines both pattern and linear style recording and they work seamlessly.

When roland said you could do everything on here they mean just that. The mv is for someone who doesn't want to use cpu daw environment.

I wish I had more knowledge on the 4000 cause its also a great machine, I use it from time to time but I never dived into to it to say that I know all about it. It has more filters then the mv, and a bettter global edit. Thats about all I could say.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I ordered my MV yesterday and Im really excited cant wait to get it sometime next week.

Now I just need to add a keyboard/workstation. Im leaning towards the Fantom G6, but Im also considering the Motif XS6 or the Korg M50. Which one you think will be a great cobination for the MV. I do know the Fantom have drum patterns but I think it will be usefull and a crazy mix to have both.

What ya think, thx

i wish the mv had more then 8 tracks of audio. my fantom has 8 they should of atleast gave it 16

The trick to using the MV is resampling. and you could combine audio tracks. Lets say you recorded on 7 audio tracks you could free up those seven audio tracks by recording to the last audio track to free up those 7 tracks, makes sense? Another way is to resample and chop up the audio tracks and convert them into midi tracks, the mv has 128 in song mode, 64 for each pattern.

The MV actually has 9 audio tracks cause of the extra audio track you get in pattern mode. You'd never run out of audio tracks, if you know how to use the mv. I'm pretty sure your fantom could do this also.

Last edited:
but have to resampling 7 audio tracks into one track takes away from mixing ability dow the road.

Again you'd have to be semi-creative. You could resample each track individually and save them as audio phrases. The MV gives you 500 audio phrases per project. After you got the structure of your song and your ready to mix you free up all the audio tracks you used by resampling them, if your ever over the limit of 9 if your not disregard what i'm about to say.

With the MV you could mix and eq each audio phrase individually without it being assigned to an audio track. By assigning it to an Aux track, use all the effects you need internal or external, then you resample and replace it as another audio phrase, you'd do this process for each track you'd want to mix if you ever go over the 9 audio track limit, then you'd combine your mixed tracks with other tracks that are related to it exp: drums on one track, vocals on another, instruments on another etc, if you ever go over the 9 audio tracks limit which I doubt.

Remember take advantage of the midi tracks you have alot of them 128 in song, 64 per pattern and there are 500 patterns. You could simply resample your audio and turn them into a midi patch and step record them in if your ever concerned about conserving audio tracks.

You'd never run out of room.(if your creative) and since you have the fantom x you could do the exact samething.(to my knowledge)

hmmm now the debate is mv or motif, i thinking about selling fantom x6 and get both. i am bored of fantom sounds

Personally I don't think you need anymore hardware, you gotta 2000xl, an m50, and a fantom. Did you even look at the srx boards? They got decent sounds. What you need is a daw, some vsts/plugins, and a decent interface.

Also did you know that you could make your own presets? That's pretty much what these boards are for. Yea they come with stock sounds and you could modify em or sample your own...

trust me i have had all kinds of vsts. i have had sampletank, omnisphere, alchemy, massive, wusik, sonic synth 2, nexus, dimension, rapture, gladiator, absynth and i sold them all except nexus and omnisphere. just not into making music while watching a monitor anymore. i am find with mixing on pc but i dont wanna touch a mouse while i am producing. for a interface i have a lynx aurora with firewire for my interfacee and ad/da.

Back