New to the Boards and new to hardware

tone_of_silence

Silence your critics
Hello everyone I'm new to your forum here but have been reading over your posts for quite a while. I've come to a cross roads and was wondering if someone could shed some light down for me. I've been using pro tools and reason quite effectively for the past three years, i write in reason and dump to pro tools to mix. My problem with reason is I HATE the sequencer and quantize functions, which boggs down my work flow. Also to sample into Reason I first have to import sounds from my vinyl to pro tools, bounce , open in recycle, chop and save, then open in reason to play this KILLS me. And if for whatever reason i don't get the chops I want, I have to go BACK to recycle and re chop, save, and so on so on. I've found an mv8800 for $900 dollars and an mpc 2500 for $750! Both in great condition at a store. I've read that the mv feels too much like a daw in itself and is complicated to learn, my overall work flow goal is to sample in and write my stuff on the machine then export my tracks to pro tools to mix and master. Any ideas?

So you're asking if you should replace Reason with those hardware pieces? I say go for it, especially if you prefer the feel of hardware for the purposes you mentioned.

agreed with av if you like those pieces of hardware do some homework on them and ask around the forums for peoples opinion or you can go to the mpc-forums and mvnation for more info.

Hello everyone I'm new to your forum here but have been reading over your posts for quite a while. I've come to a cross roads and was wondering if someone could shed some light down for me. I've been using pro tools and reason quite effectively for the past three years, i write in reason and dump to pro tools to mix. My problem with reason is I HATE the sequencer and quantize functions, which boggs down my work flow. Also to sample into Reason I first have to import sounds from my vinyl to pro tools, bounce , open in recycle, chop and save, then open in reason to play this KILLS me. And if for whatever reason i don't get the chops I want, I have to go BACK to recycle and re chop, save, and so on so on. I've found an mv8800 for $900 dollars and an mpc 2500 for $750! Both in great condition at a store. I've read that the mv feels too much like a daw in itself and is complicated to learn, my overall work flow goal is to sample in and write my stuff on the machine then export my tracks to pro tools to mix and master. Any ideas?

If you think working in software is a pain in the ass, I can guarantee that working with hardware with annoy you more. But there are other advantages.

It sounds to me like you may want to try a DAW with a better integrated software sampler.

I've owned both an MPC and a DAW. Even with the MPC, you still are going to have to load, assign, chop, track and save. And after working on a full-sized monitor, those MPC screens will have you going blind.

But, I still know people that prefer the MPC. So, try it out and see if you like it. As long as you don't pay too much you can always sell it and get most of your money back.

Yeah hardware will be more annoying. Especially loading stuff back up. Coming back after a few days and haveing to recall your settings. Software is a god send!

Back